I Forge Iron

Frazer's Corner of the Internet [photo heavy]

Frazer

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question, I'll have to check when I'm back in the shop. When I punched the hole for the eye I decentered it a quarter inch (or so) toward the side that became the peen. I don't know where the balance ended up after clean moving material around and cleaning up the surfaces.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you (both).

Ha, yes, that's all I have. It took 18.5 hours start to finish. I had to track my working time since I was on the clock for this one.

I also discovered Truoil which is excellent for finishing the scales. Hand sand wood to 2500 (or buff if you have that available to you) then I used linseed oil, let that cure for ~2 days, 3 thin coats of Truoil, lightly sanding between coats, and you get a nice glossy (hopefully durable) finish. Good stuff.

I believe Truoil is linseed oil based so I'm not sure I really needed that first coat to start.

Its great you are tracking time..  Few realize just how important it is even from a hobby standpoint. 

Keep track of time helps to understand where the time is going and a general idea of what something takes to make. 

Very nice..  I love seeing what you have going on.. Your intrepid and utilize your skills very well.. Always saying" why not.. I can do this.. "..  :) 

Your time estimation is good..  And this is not a critique..   So take it from an experience time point.. 

30min here.. 10min there, 45min there..    These are those things that can play into how we feel about sales. 

I used to play the game of how fast I could forge something and come under time..  I got really fast.. 

Never minded that in the least..  But when I stretched out an item and lost time and money on the quote it became painful. 

I finished up my chain project at to today's NYSDB meeting. There are a total of 47 links, 4 rings, a toggle and a hook. The toggle can pass through 3 rings to adjust the size of the hoop. The welds are all good (or at least passable), but I wouldn't trust them with my life.

1416898331_DSC00295-Copy.thumb.JPG.4b48aef66380ebf6394981750c57f04c.JPG

258460807_DSC00296-Copy.thumb.JPG.7a12133848dadbc29f2451fea1367c26.JPG

1563731529_DSC00298-Copy.thumb.JPG.db38fd769ab8aac41b2512e630b7f2b5.JPG

Gratuitous action shot of the last link being welded.

758335745_IMG_3052-Copy-Copy.jpg.5b4e7f745a93baf683f6a21c79387ebf.jpg

1393590701_IMG_3061-Copy-Copy.jpg.a80a5f8c911eee77702a05e6eb30ee59.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you. As for the chain, that's hard to say. I did it for the learning experience so I wasn't really timing myself. My best guess would be 10-15 hours, not including making a couple of tools. One of them being this little guy that I now like a lot (you may have already seen it in "what did you do in the shop today").

DSC00230.thumb.JPG.961b4d61fecadf684b8f638f84d6133a.JPG

Realistically, it was probably closer to 15 hours. It took me a little while to get the feel for it.

I took some 1.5" round bar, butchered in the hardie shank and flattened the opposite side to ~7/8" thick to make the face. Then I forged two short tapers out of one of the "&" shaped RR clips (~3/4" round) and full penetration welded them on either side. For a little extra stability I made a collar from some 1/2" sq and arc welded it on at the start of the hardie shank. I put the shank in the vise at the collar and used a top fuller to spread out the collar a little bit.

It was actually pretty straightforward to make and I've found it to be quite handy to have around. The body of it is just A36; a more adventurous person might make it with 1045 or 4140.