I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Good insights, George. The challenges of craft fair work (not only generating inventory, but also transporting it, setting up and breaking down, dedicating the time to the event itself, etc) are a big part of why I personally do pretty much all of my paid work on commission. 

• Replies 26.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dave, the demo was at Fort Vallonia Days in Vallonia, IN.

John/George, I have never setup at a craft fair. So far, I have only done sales at demonstrations and only if sales are allowed or even expected. Either way, I would be traveling to and packing a lot of gear, the inventory is minor compared to tools and materials. So, the sales are a nice benefit that goes a long way towards offsetting my costs.

Personally, I have received many opportunities for commission work, but passed most of those asking to the other smiths who are more suited to commission work. Between work, family, and other responsibilities I can’t always guarantee time in the forge. At this point I’d rather forge the items I’m interested in to my liking and hope that someone would have interest in them, if I’m willing to sell them.

Keep it fun,

David

5 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge ClayWorks said:

A basket twist handle with the socket forge welded to it would be nice.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

That will not happen. Also don't like basket twist handles, they look old in my eyes. (But will have to make them at my forge lessions). 

My small forge will not get to welding heat. Tried to, when making a handrake, but nope. The steel stays white yellow, but did not get sticky. Welded that one together with the welder. Is ugly as hell yet, have to make that one still a lot nicer

But a twist, probably a cubetwist or a pinapple twist is a good idea.

But with rivets (what i want to avoid in the first place).

Thanks Iron, but since typing this, both handles will be a twist and will look like a set. You set the ball in motion.

the blacksmith twist unless heavy is a weak design.  

And yes it looks clunky if don't badly..   Nice thing is since one is a blacksmith the imagination is the only limitation. 

David aka goods..   I personally struggle with others not keeping track of their time spent at the forge..  

I don't understand not keeping track of time and item takes and making notes in a "blacksmiths Journal". 

I try not to sell anything at any event.        I'll throw out some redicouls price simply based on how long it takes to make the item.   

Even a hook..  It it took 1hr to make then that is the going for the hourly shop rate. 

But I'm not there to sell.. Only to demonstrate and educate. 

I'm more likely to have a person come by who shows interesting in an item but hangs or swings back by and just give them the item. 

Makes it a lot easier when I'm being paid to do the event to be there with a clear conscience. 

Going and making no money with the cost of fuel and such is a bad business model.. But then again. I'm not exactly that smart when it comes to working smarter vs harder.. 

You might not be able to turn a handle on a lathe, but there are a bunch of wood working tools a blacksmith can make.. 

First photo is from the EAIA demonstration  few weeks ago steeled wrought iron with 5160 cutting edge the handles were turned from special wood by the owner of the shop I demonstrated in. .. 

The other one is of 2 draw knives I made years ago..  The one on the bottom is 5160 with wrought iron furrels and pear wood handles.. 

The top one that is upside down was my very first one back in 1986..  I forged the blade then took what ever little sections of wood I had for the handles..  One side is the bottom of a sledge hammer I shorted the handle on, the other is from a wood turning chisel that was to long. 

The original one from 86 still works very well and I use for roughing out work.. 

20231008_172028.jpg

20180917_165358.jpg

Not sure I posted this photo before..

The last time I was making a hammer handle (few weeks back) for my very first hammer purchased in 1978 (Truevalue cross peen 2.5lbs) I realized the wood was processed completely with only the tools I had made.. :) 

From cutting the tree down with the axe, to using the froe to split out a blank,  from the draw knife I forged and then from the hammer and handle I made.. 

It was an interesting moment..  A certain kind of achievement never realized existed. 

20230902_102912.jpg

Didn't make anything as pretty as those tools, JLP, but I did get the anvil stands a bit down the road. The glue finally cured, sanded the tops flat, checked them for size, charred 'em, and started on the bands. Forgot how fiddly getting the corners right can be, especially when I wasn't used to charcoal when I did forge. Felt like I went through fuel way faster than coal. Probably doing it wrong, but at least I hit hot steel today.

Anvilblock 4.jpg

Before I had a lathe I would turn wood pieces in an electric hand drill and then I bought a drill press and could turn pieces in that.  As noted above, draw knives and spoke shaves can get you there as well and details can be added with the power tool and files.

The problem is that the bearings in a drill press (unlike those in a lathe or a milling machine) are not designed to withstand lateral loads. It’s OK for the occasional small job, but can damage the machine over the long run.

Drill presses do NOT have thrust bearings in the quill and they will NOT take side loads. You can kill them almost instantly using it like a mill or lathe.

If you MUST you can drill a hole in the tail end by putting a bit in a vise and advancing the stock onto the bit, then insert a piece of rod into the tail end so it can run in a lubed hole in a piece of wood clamped to the bed. Even with a "tail stock" the bearings in the quill will be taking forces they are not designed to and you will shorten their working life from decades to hours. 

It's hard on a drill press to sand by holding emery cloth on both ends around the stock.

Frosty The Lucky.

I fired up one of the forges for the first time in almost a year today and did a couple ornaments to try an blow the cobwebs out, 

I got a commission for a couple simple projects awhile back so I thought I’d get out and do some practice in between working on customers stuff in the shop today 

IMG_9828.jpeg

Yeah I was just kinda free handing the twists not really trying to make them uniform well at least that my story lol

those are my idea of icicle ornaments not really scribes lol :lol:

i think I’ll make a pile more of them and some more of the Fredricks crosses to give away 

I contacted the local Ag teacher at the high school to see about bribing his students into using their fancy shamcy cnc plasma cutter to cut me out some blanks for sleigh bells I think I’ll be doing more of them this year as well

Ahh, icicles! Maybe start with thicker stock and give it a full length taper with twist?  That or make them shorter. 

Heat treating will cause a lot of scale so leave plenty of meat to clean up on your blade. I would've heat treat treated before not myself.

Frosty The Lucky.

Lol I’m glad y’all liked it!

I sent out a ton of Halloween cards this year to people everywhere but I think my favorite response so far was from a home for foster children that some folks I know run!

They told me Those kids went crazy when they received their Halloween card with the blood red skull and cross bones in the mail!