I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Thanks John but I have a 3' x 6' copper sheet, about 2x as thick as flashing that was used as the heat shield behind a wood stove. We bought the stove and the lady selling it made us take a bunch of other stuff with too. It was the end of the day and she wanted to shut down. I drug it into the shop a couple years ago and only need to cut a piece or two, pickle it and do some playing. 

I never did much repousse and chasing so am not very good at it. I've shown my better effort here before. I guess I should venture into the Connex and see if my pitch and punches are where I think they are. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Frosty, it works by holding the handle up and driving the edge of the froe into the....

Just kidding. 

worked well when I split out the handle stave for my old forging hammer. 

Have not tried it with the new handle. 

I like to use froes in pairs on knotty wood.   Have a second one in the works. 

Les, thanks for the feedback on the video. Glad it's getting used. very Nice hawk. 

Frosty, Handle blanks or staves are the reason for the froe..   The wood we have here is so knotty that is does not take kindly to a froe.  

But with that being said, I drive a froe in and then using the second one insert it into the gap created and leverage them away from each other.  Works a treat.. 

Since dislocating my elbow i cannot push on anything.   I can pull but can't really push.. 

So using 2 froes will suit me well.   I can swing a hammer like a mad dog but any kind of pushing on an object including a rasp is painful. 

Jennifer, once you set both froes lay the block down and stand on the one to push, you'll be able to put your leg into it while pulling with both arms. We frequently had to use this method breaking drill pipe laying on the ground. Stand on the end of a 36" pipe wrench and pull on the other. When that didn't work we went to my less favorite method, reversed them and jumped on one while backing the other with the planet.

Much nicer John! Muting the background really makes the honeycomb pop. Something new for the mental tool kit, texture then mute the texture for backgrounds. 

I don't see why a chased background shouldn't follow the same rules for a good photographic background, make it just busy enough to fill the empty spaces without distracting from the subject. With a camera you use focus or lighting, with repousse and chasing a and softly hammered planishing punch or maybe wooden punch?

Man, this really gets my mental wheels turning. I love it!

Frosty The Lucky.

Beautiful work as always Alex. This link it to a fellow who does wonderful work with wood and epoxy and might give you some ideas. I've spent hours watching him work and cataloguing what I'll need if I decide to give it a try.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ41TIGhovM&ab_channel=BlacktailStudio

Frosty The Lucky.

Beautiful hammer David, I'd be in for a ticket. 

I'm thinking by the way Lola cracked her eye she's a tolerant girl. The French curve is a nice touch for the impression. 

I've got to say if I were making a bunch of flowers that large I'd be thinking of making a die blanking tool. I wonder who in the club has a CNC laser table. Hmmm.

Nah, I'll stick to steel I can do that with a little improvisation. The enamels should be in by mid week, probably the 13th or 14th.

Frosty The Lucky.