I Forge Iron

Frankentools

I searched on google and looked about on IFI.  I generaly have trip over something before I find it.  Is there a thread for old weird combination tools such as this?  Do you have one?  It would be fun to see actual examples.   I used to do patent searches and there were tons of "ideas".  I suppose not many came into reality or have been melted down by now.  Thanks.

20200816_140008_compress5.jpg

Oooh, that's a neat one. No idea what it's called other than a general "multi tool" category. Be fun to show youngsters and make up uses for the interesting bits.

Years ago Deb or someone bot me a muti tool with adjustable wrench, pliers and hammer, there were more but I recall those 3. Not something to carry in the tool box but could, COULD come in handy  in a pinch. I'll see if I can find it and post a pic.

IF this turns into a weird / laughable multi tool thread. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I have always heard the combination crescent wrench and pliers called a "plench."  And what is a modern Leatherman or other multi-tool but a frankentool.  My experience has been they never work as well as a single use tool but if it is all you have you can make them work.  I have always wondered how you use the combo tools that have both a knife blade and a fork.  It's pretty hard to cut your meat when your two necessary implements are growing out of opposite ends of the same tool.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I know some manufacturers jumped on the bandwagon making these things.  They were probably the pre-cursor to todays "multi tool".  I might have to find and re-size and post some of the loony patents people came up with.  Every concievable combination.  I ran across one that had a knife, corkscrew, screwdriver and saw attached to one of those spiked "kaiser" helmets...  It would be great to see real examples, if they ever actually got made.  

51 minutes ago, Frosty said:

IF this turns into a weird / laughable multi tool thread. 

Who knows which way the wind may blow around here!  :)

48 minutes ago, George N. M. said:

.  It's pretty hard to cut your meat when your two necessary implements are growing out of opposite ends of the same tool.

It's a trick to get you to buy two of them.  Don't fall for it.

Check out the old Sears Roebuck catalogs from 100+ years ago.  Seemed to have a lot of weird combo tools.

I have a set  of Channellock Fencing Pliers that actually work pretty well when running fence wire.  (I surprised my Daughter when she was helping out at the wild horse refuge: she needed a pair and I had one hanging on the shop wall.) 

When I visited the Deutsches Klingen Museum in Solingen Germany they had examples of Roman multi tools/eating sets!

In days gone by, if you needed it, Sears and Roebuck had it.  All hand/horse/muscle  powered though.  Maybe thats the origination of some of these tools.  You were so wore out from working, who wants to go looking for a tool?  "Thar she is, attached right to my spud wrench"  I wish you had pictures of those Roman eating utencils...

There is one of the Roman multi-tools in the Fitzwilliam Museum at Cambridge University, UK.  I have always suspected that on the side you cant see it says "Legio Helvetica."

Fencing pliers work pretty well if you are making small barbed wire fence repairs but if you are building fence you need bigger tools.

Nodebt:  Google "Roman multitool" and you will find lots of photos of the Fitzwilliam Museum artifact.  Apparently, you can get a reproduction for 60 euros.  Someone speculated that the inventor was named MacGyvercus.

Well, I never read the fine print/patent descriptions on these things, too convoluted and I start getting migraines.  I personally think its a well thought out design, however, I would have made the tooth extraction hook on the handle end in a different fashion.  Personal preferance.  Nothing like an impacted tooth out on the range.  I agree, the hinged spork must have been a game changer for it's time and probably propelled our friend Loudon to infamy.  I am getting called to supper (it's frog leg night) so I will continue later...

I checked images of the Roman multi tool and holy moly is that a Ronco special! I liked the pic that showed the sponge labeled as "butt swab". Rome was a serious consumer of sponges, they didn't have toilet paper you know and everybody carried at least one tied to a stick all the time.

It was fun looking at all the different opinions of what some of the tools were, the, "Exacto" hook knife looking one was labeled as a "spatula" HUH? The awl(maybe) labeled as a stabby thing was good too, called a pokey thing in another. 

I'm not going to make something like it but it's sure fun looking at all the crazy ideas of what was what. 

What REALLY creeps me out is the idea of folks carrying their eating utensils folded together with their toilet sponge. That's just a BIT too multi tool for my taste!:wacko:

Frosty The Lucky.

23 hours ago, Nodebt said:

Good point Glenn, and probably why they all fizzled out as a going concern.  With the exception of a large crescent wrench, which can do double duty as a hammer.  In a pinch.  Sometimes.  Well....  :)

There's a purpose-built version of a 12" adjustable wrench with a hammer poll on one side.  It's my understanding that miners would stick a 12" adjustable wrench in their back pocket.  When they needed to set an anchor in the ceiling of a shaft, they rapped it home with the edge of the wrench, then tightened the bolt to expand the anchor with the wrench.  Somebody noticed that the miners were breaking a lot of adjustable wrenches so they made the hammer version.  I just checked, and McMaster Carr sells them under the name "adjustable wrench with hammer face".  Interestingly, "hammer wrench" in their catalog refers to an open end wrench which has a striking block on the far end of the handle.  Apparently you whack the striking block with a hammer to knock a fastener looser or tighter.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

I liked the pic that showed the sponge labeled as "butt swab".

Frosty The Lucky.

Now it gets interesting....  You called it up above, my friend!  :)

20 minutes ago, rockstar.esq said:

There's a purpose-built version of a 12" adjustable wrench with a hammer poll on one side. 

This one has a value added feature Rockstar, a saw for cutting away timbers or trapped appendages in the event of a cave-in. 

hammer saw and cresent.jpg

I think you are right about the fence pliers.  What you have with the second example may be an early pair of mig welding pliers.  A gripper for the nozzel, a tip grabber onto'er and a file on the end for getting out stubborn sputterballs.  I cant tell if it has a wire cutter for nipping the end or not.  The striking parts might be for beating on/deforming the nozzel when all else fails.  I may be wrong.  A frankentool if there ever was one!  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 3:09 PM, Frosty said:

What REALLY creeps me out is the idea of folks carrying their eating utensils folded together with their toilet sponge. That's just a BIT too multi tool for my taste!:wacko:

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, mixing eating tool tookas wipe with the "taste" at the end was just a bit poor in taste :blink:

Mr. P17,

Said,   and I quote,

"Frosty, mixing eating tool tookas wipe with the "taste" at the end was just a bit poor in taste".

Are you sure.

Did you taste it?

Coprophagy is not recommended. stool is NOT,  sterile. Rather,   it's septic.

SLAG.