I Forge Iron

Budget Coal Forge Build

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thomas, I have seen that too!

pnut, thanks. Less than I expected. 

Another thought on the fan I currently have: Would it be a bad idea, or just superfluous, to use it as an exhaust draw fan at the end of the flue when I eventually get the forge into the shed? I have the part that mounts to the outside of a building and attaches to the fan, as well. I wonder if it would just do what a good side draft would do anyway...

I don't know why I didn't mention it before. Walmart has an ac mattress pump for about nine dollars that I used for my forge until I got a Buffco blower. 

I used a ball valve as a way to control the airflow. I've seen you have a cooling fan. I haven't tried using one so I'm out of my element in that regard. 

Pnut

When I lived in Ohio and had electricity near the shop I used an old "handy vac" small vacuum---old enough that the body was made from aluminium instead of plastic!  Got it cheap at the fleamarket as the cloth bag had disintegrated and only the Al tube was coming out the back...US$3 IIRC.  I used a ribbed piece of radiator hose to run the air to the forge and as the vacuum had a universal motor, (brushes), I could control it with a simple rheostat .  Fun thing was that the air through the ribbed tubing would sound a note like an organ pipe and it was controllable a bit with the rheostat as well.

I'm a big fan of foot switches for electric blowers as they save a lot of stock and a lot of fuel!

Irondragon, I've got one of those too! lol. But my forge will be a bottom blast and my fire pot a bit larger than what I am seeing in that picture. Makes me wonder if it would cut it. So many possibilities! haha. But truth be told, I am after something that I will want to keep until it quits on me or I break it haha. So either invest time to build it, get something great for free, or buy a good one. 

Still on a budget.

This weekend I finally got the body of the forge cut up and welded together. No pictures yet as it still still needs touching up. I also forged some feet for the front 2 legs; the back 2 I am thinking will be wheels. Like these legs, the frame will be built from rebar... 30' for less than 12 bucks. I have enough of the structural tubing to cut out pieces for a frame, but cutting free-hand with an angle grinder for hours on end has proven to not only be tiresome, but sloppy. 

A new concern I have: Before I have the ability to get the forge installed in the smithy with a nice side draft and chimney system, how should I have it built to operate outside? It will be a 3.5' (left to right) x 2' (front to back) steel table with 2" high border. I will primarily be using my homemade charcoal as fuel. So I wonder: when outside of the smithy, should I still have a hood and short chimney installed? Or does said chimney still need to be 10'+ high in order to be effective? In which case I might as well just bite the bullet and install it in the smithy. 

20200907_174249.jpg

My wife told me that my In-laws will be visiting us this weekend with many gifts in-tow. The most exciting gift being the oxy/acy tanks and torches! Since I will have them much sooner than I thought, I am putting off building the hood and chimney until this weekend so it will all be much easier to cut and assemble with the tanks. 

So, this weekend I forged an ash dump instead. I really just wanted to try my hand at a decorative ball-end for the handle -- it did not go as planned. I was unable to make it round before my propane ran out (I was near the last of it when I began) and it developed a pretty big crack so I just did a rough squaring and left it as is. The twist also got away from me; I should have just twisted half the bar, not all of it. Not a proud moment, but it will work once I get the hinge fabricated and attached. I forged it from a pry bar I got cheap at a flea market a while back. 

20200912_153036_HDR.jpg

20200913_171757 (1).jpg

20200913_171842 (1).jpg

20200913_172017 (1).jpg

No, it's a bad idea because it's a lot more difficult to forge and much more prone to cracking if not worked at the correct temperatures.  It's your steel you can do what you want with it; but you might have been able to finish it without flaws before the propane ran out if you had been working a true mild steel...

Keeping hydrated is important. Dehydration can sneak up on you and impair your judgment before you realize what's happening. Take frequent water breaks!

On 9/2/2020 at 5:23 PM, ThomasPowers said:

I'm a big fan of foot switches for electric blowers as they save a lot of stock and a lot of fuel!

Me too. I have my coal forge's blower (a modified vacuum cleaner, free from some else's trash) plugged into a variable speed control that is plugged into a deadman foot switch. When I step away from the forge, it kills the blower.