I Forge Iron

High Pressure Gauge

Chris C

Some words just take time; others I can circle around and grab from the back---typing in 'celtic writing system' brought Ogham up before google came up with it. However going from people telling you they need a dictionary to converse with you to not getting a simple  sentence out completely makes one feel low.  At least my wife puts up with my word searches.  It really slows down doing the crossword puzzles though.  We would divvy them up; She would take care of all the people names and I would take care of the weird stuff. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The creature was about fifty feet tall, with wide lapels, long dangling participles, and a pronounced gazetteer.
"Aiyee!" shouted Legolam. "A Thesaurus!"
"Maim!" roared the monster. "Mutilate, mangle, crush. See HARM."

Funny I think of John when I remember that scene from "Bored of the Rings"

Ahhh, aphasia my constant companion! Everybody gets to enjoy it but some, many? of us get to enjoy the enhanced version. Losing THE word in a sentence is almost more often than not, especially people's names and face to face is worse. I can think about the blocked word or phrase when I'm at the keyboard and have learned tricks that often work. Unfortunately if we're face to face or on the phone . . . .

What were we talking about? 

Ah yes, see I go do stuff for a couple hours have a hard boiled duck egg sandwich, nap for a bit, come back and you've moved on. Fortunately my comment is timeless. Better still, Thomas's Bored of the Rings reference trips another memory of mine.  A neighbor was visiting with his latest girl friend and we were talking when she comments on me liking dinosaurs. This brought a bit of shock because I'd recently  gone through my shelves and boxed up all  my: paleontology, fossil and geology books and stored them in another room. I was reading another general subject and needed the room. I looked around and couldn't see one so asked what made her think I liked dinosaurs and she says, "the book." and points at one of the new shelves but I still couldn't see one and I'm familiar with all my titles, cover art, etc. but nope don't see one so I ask, "What dinosaur book?" She points and says, "that one, "The Saurus." 

Ayup, my thesaurus was right there between my Oxford compact dictionary and another reference I don't recall the title. The neighbor, Shawn didn't have a clue and asked if a saurus was a meat eater or one of the giant long neck ones.  Are there pictures?, etc. etc. Ayup, a matched pair. Neither understood what good a thesaurus was IF then understood my painfully simple explanation. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Spanky smith filled me in on a number of various versions of "bless your heart." Aren't you a dear, bless your heart." was one of my favorites. 

Aw heck Mike I was making complete sentences as soon as I came too. It just took a few months before they started making sense on anything but a random basis. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I've known folks that claim I never make any sense!   I noticed a line on the Census form that you could fill in as Tentacular Alien.  My wife was upset by the German, French, Spanish, etc, modifiers; so I just told her to put in "American". (I think "yes" would fit my family's background.)

I'm hoping to be around when my grandsons get back from Okinawa and dump a lot of my Paleontology books on them.  (I once had an English paper down checked because I had used a "made up word"---fewmets in it.  I talked to the English Grad Student and told him it wasn't made up and could be found in Madeleine L'Engle's award winning "A Wrinkle in Time". He claimed it wasn't in his Collegiate Dictionary and I told him he really should get a better dictionary---like the OED if he was planning to go into the trade. )

You most always make sense to me, Thomas.  It's just that my somewhat limited knowledge of the English language requires the use of a dictionary from time to time.  Reading what some of you guys post, I find myself wondering if I ever graduated from 6th grade! :D  Whole lot of words in this world I don't know the meaning of.

Thomas, I once had the same “fewmets” issue in an English class in college when I used the word “scumber” in an essay.  I had to point out that T. H. White used it in The Once and Future King when Wart had to take the dogs out in the morning.  Must be careful with all this scatological discussion though. 

Thomas, just saw your “Bored of the Rings” reference.  Love that parody-like the three types of boggies-the clubfoots, Naugahydes, and stools. 

I answer American too. and in the box marked race I write Human. Color I write irrelevant. There are others but those are pretty standard.

I had to stop answering truthfully on the Census when Deb got a temp job on the Y2K census. I'll be my "normal" creative self this year. Under dependents I believe politicians is accurate. Hmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty,

Wish I had thought of that.  I find it very strange that the only information the US Census is looking for is how many people live in your home, what their relationship is to you, and what color/race/origin country you are from.  What possible difference should the last be?  I mean I could almost understand if they were asking about employment or level of education, but race/color/origin?  What is next, going to start asking about specific religion and number of hours per week you attend church?

He

5 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

and told him it wasn't made up and could be found in Madeleine L'Engle's award winning "A Wrinkle in Time

That's a shame a grad student wasn't familiar with that book. I think I read it in the 3rd or 4th grade. I'm still curious as to whether the movie did the text any justice. 

Pnut