I Forge Iron

High Pressure Gauge

Chris C

Close Chris, you're getting there. Adjust the regulator to slightly above the pressure you want for the necessary temperature and fine tune with the needle valve. Just because a needle valve can be used as a stand alone doesn't mean it's the best method.  With the 0-60 psi regulator and it's less precise settings a needle valve will give you the fine control the regulator doesn't. 

I have to assume it's home made cider? Mmmmmm. Popcorn and home brew beer is another excellent gas generator. Asparagus for flavor if you really didn't want to visit "them" in the first place. Now I''m thinking of especially gassy foods! 

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Frosty said:

0-60 psi regulator and it's less precise settings a needle valve will give you the fine control the regulator doesn't. 

I use the regulator for safety, and needle valve for quick control; a regulator will also provide fine control; if you've got lots of time to fiddle...

Propane hose is rated for considerably higher than cylinder pressure can climb, without its relief valve engaging; that's all fine and dandy (if your tank is located outside and away from ignition sources). But, are there any cracks or other weak spots in the hose? How about the seals between hose and pipe fittings? If the burner's gas orifice gets plugged from the tar and wax, which can accumulate in the fuel cylinder, your whole system will be exposed to the full pressure in the tank--without a regulator:unsure:.

I have a quarter turn shut-off valve for safety, Mike..............or at least that's the way I look at it.

Frosty, I was notified today that the pressure gauge is being shipped.  I tried to change my order last Friday night after I ordered the 60 pound one.  They never responded, but I'm hoping they caught it and are shipping the 30 pound gauge.  If not, I'll send this one back and order the 30.

As far as the atmospheric offending of those gathered around us, you, sir, are purely diabolical.  :o  But when camping as a Boy Scout, I always found it comforting to know I could have the entire tent to myself if I pre-planned it that way! :D

Another good reason to use a regulator we hadn't talked about Mike. Latticino mentioned waxy deposits and potential wear of the needle and seats as well. 

No Chris, a 1/4 turn ball valve is a fast on off valve, not quite the same thing as what Mike is talking about. The 1/4 turn lets you shut things off FAST in an emergency. The regulator can prevent the emergency in the first place. Both act as safeties but in different ways. 

The Alaska Airline Stews, Attendants now? Oh wait, this actually NEEDS a little back story. My job drilling was state wide so we spent a LOT of time in the air and got on first name terms with the ladies on the South East milk runs and often brought back a slice of pie from the Skagway Airport coffee shop, THE BEST pie in Alaska! A term I learned from them was, "Crop dusting." When a Stew was gassy on a flight she'd pay it out in small doses walking the isle. 

That wouldn't have worked when I was a Boy Scout, virtually all of us were pretty free venting. Dinner was typically "Insanity" everybody brought a can of something that got put in the pot. Most of us brought chili of course. 

Living in the bush there's a known favorite, "Green Moose Chili" moose that'd hung a little too long and developed a little too much flavor made tastier chili than stew, combined with home brew beer and you have one of the more potent chemical weapon formula in the woods. 

Most patient has ever described me.

Frosty The Lucky.

Not done yet, I hope!    Hmmm seems like Frosty has a decades long history of experimenting with flammable gasses...probably on all sorts of watch lists...

I'm taking care as I'm currently in a 9.5'x9'x15' box and I don't want to implode it---I just was watching a youtube video on building a Frosty T burner where the guy explains that when the gas burns the pressure goes down creating the pull on the air/gas mixture....Guess his car uses the burning gas to pull the pistons rather than push them...

ut oh; my wife packed corned beef and cabbage for my lunch today; luckily MythBusters isn't on campus right now!

20 hours ago, Chris C said:

I have a quarter turn shut-off valve for safety, Mike..............or at least that's the way I look at it.

And that is a legitimate view, too :)

It's not the only view though. In more than four decades working steel, with half that time working on ships and work sites, have afforded a very long view. If you're "on the tools" long enough, you see the reasons behind safety rules play out the hard way over and over; its often quite ugly.

I do not fit ball valves on my burners. My rationale is as follows:

In normal operation, all adjustment and on/off control is done from the regulator, which is at the cylinder. It is where I habitually go to adjust or stop the gas. It is at the upstream end of the relatively fragile hose and it is reasonably well away from the hot bits.

If the midden hits the windmill, I do not want options.

I do not want to have to spend any time at all, however brief, assessing the situation and deciding whether to use the "safety shutoff valve" that may have been provided in the hot area where things are going wrong, or the cylinder valve in the relatively safe location.

I will go to where I habitually go and do what I habitually do to shut things down and that is at the cylinder. It is the safer place to be.

I will close the cylinder valve. Admittedly it will take a fraction of a second longer than closing a ball valve, but I will have saved that fraction of a second, and more, by not having to make a choice earlier. 

Others may feel differently. As a general rule, I'd rather not share a shop with those who do.

9 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I'm taking care as I'm currently in a 9.5'x9'x15' box and I don't want to implode it---I just was watching a youtube video on building a Frosty T burner where the guy explains that when the gas burns the pressure goes down creating the pull on the air/gas mixture....Guess his car uses the burning gas to pull the pistons rather than push them...

You got the roomy cell? Was that the video that got posted in the other thread?  I don't watch many anymore and usually turn the sound off. It's reassuring though, tells me the design is a success if folk that clueless can get one to work. Sometimes I hope they don't learn how the things actually work, the embarrassment would be horrible. Ah HAH, I get it Thomas he is confusing a double acting steam engine with a Zamboni, threshing machine. 

Speaking of imploding our cubicle. (wouldn't that be a rectangicle?) I made a batch of chili yesterday, enough for a couple meals and some for the freezer. I woke up about 2: this morning feeling the urge so I headed down to the bathroom, I'm getting to an age I don't take certain things for granted anymore. Thunderous venting and Happy HAPPY, went back to bed. 

Try as I might I just can not wrap my head around imploding anything that way. Strike a spark and explode yes, I can imagine that or at least wanting to open the walls that fast but implode? ? 

Chris: The regulator's role as safety device is NOT as a shut off valve, the tank valve is much faster to close. The regulator limits how much pressure is present in the circuits, the less pressure the lower the chance of a catastrophic failure or the consequences of a failure. For example, picture the fuel hose carrying tank pressure approx 170-200 psi. and a something sharp falls on it and cuts it in half. At 170psi. the end of the hose will be whipping around fast enough to injure you: broke bones, ribs or wrist not to mention pressure cuts, missing eye, etc.. Envisioning that? Now imagine Satan's own bull whip  shooting 6'-10' of flame as it's whipping around. 

See why limiting the pressure to say 20 psi is a safety measure?  At 20 psi there's going to be a terrifyingly huMONGUS gout of flame shooting out of a cut hose but you can avoid it and get to the 1/4 turn valve and shut it off in seconds, it won't be chasing you around the shop. 

We play with dangerous tools and machines, it's part of the attraction of the craft. 

I watched a demonstration of Satan's own bull whip at a FD demonstration. We went to a lot of those, working for state DOT put us on the list of emergency response personnel so we took training several times a year.  Anyway, it's frightening enough from 75-100' being in the same room is beyond nightmare.

I go away for half an hour and Tim joins in. Good reasoning Tim, I agree you want emergency actions to be as automatic and familiar as possible. My mainline shut off is a 1/4 turn ball valve between the regulator and the fuel hose. The ball valves at the forge are on the manifold so I can use one or more burners as necessary. Even if I were only using one burner I'd be reaching towards the forge to shut if off in an emergency.

I hang fire extinguishers by the exits rather than the fire hazard, say kitchen range, forge, whatever for the same reason. If a fire gets going I do NOT want to have to go towards the fire to grab an extinguisher. I'd rather have the wife run towards the extinguisher, turn around and decide the fire's out of control and keep going out the door.  

The more you can limit the chance to make a bad decision in an emergency the safer you are. Yes?

Frosty The Lucky.

11 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Now imagine Satan's own bull whip  shooting 6'-10' of flame as it's whipping around.

Loved the imagery. Too bad people will think its an exaggeration.

Imagine that a usually smart friend decided to use air hose fittings on his fuel hose...now imagine being present, when the seals gives way, and several fires start almost at the same time--all over his shop:wacko:

Fortunately, there was a regulator between the fuel cylinder and that hose; they were only little fires...so he still has a shop.

I once had an air hose blow off the quick coupler and it nearly beat me to death whipping around before I could get out of the way and turn the compressor off. I can imagine how catastrophic it would be if it had been on fire too. With our large tank, I only open the main valve about a half turn and it's at least twenty feet from the forge. and there is a quarter turn valve to shut it down quickly.

Frosty; I personally just don't understand why folks who don't KNOW about stuff think they should post a video about it and think other people should watch it.  Perhaps if there was an "All Darwin All The Time" channel  for amusement, EMT/FD/FR training. Hubris anyone?

Now on implosion through explosion:  if you put one way valves on your space then the overpressure can exit and if the remaining atmosphere is hot and cools off and contracts.  Just like the cans of volatiles in the shop crinkle up.

No necessary, Thomas.  Just thought I was losing my mind because I thought you were referencing one in the thread.  Of course, losing my mind is nothing new............I'm always looking for it.

Life is much more fun when you stop worrying about losing your mind and just relax and enjoy it!     For someone who has had a big thing about language their whole life, aphasia, is annoying and getting worked up over it makes it worse.  Relax and words like 'Ogham' swim back to the surface---sometimes.

Aphasia is much more than just annoying for me.  In the last 5 or so years, I'm forever "searching" for a word that's right on my tongue but I can't add to a sentence.  And whatever I seem to come up with to replace the missing word is never sufficiently adequate to make my point.  I hate it.  It's as if I've got "bubbles" in my brain that capture words and hide them until hours or even days later.  I find myself sometimes just blurting out the word for which I was searching.  My little wife looks at me with a shocked expression.  It's always kind of funny..............to her, not to me.

15 minutes ago, Chris C said:

Aphasia is much more than just annoying for me.  In the last 5 or so years, I'm forever "searching" for a word that's right on my tongue but I can't add to a sentence.

Me too. It drives me nuts. I stop in the middle of sentences and sound half crazy sometimes. I've gotten better at pantomiming my way through it but I lose the spice I guess of speaking. It's hard to be eloquent when you can't think of a simple noun that the whole sentence revolves around. It's gotten better over the years but it's seems worse if I'm stressed or tired. 

Pnut

Yup.................more often than not!

Well, my gauge arrived in the mail today and they didn't "catch" my request to change the order. <_< So I just ordered a 30psi.  Good thing these things are inexpensive.