I Forge Iron

Justin’s Smithing progression. [PIC heavy]

Justin Topp

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're getting better Justin though you need to work on hammer control, a knife doesn't need that many hammer marks.   Looks like a good working shop knife but you don't want to forge anything without trying to make it your best unless there's a pressing need for quick and dirty. Say the old lady next door can't get her seat belt unlatched and she accidentally got a flash fire in her mug of Vodka lighting a Cheroot. 

In tense emergency situations, quickly whacking out something sharp to free the old lady and defend yourself when you can't save her mug of vodka is PERFECTLY okay. :)

It's a nice profile and size. well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks frosty. The main reason I didn’t spend more time cleaning it up is it’s gonna sit out side. Rust. Probably get lost in a few days and generally get abused. Just need it to open coal Bags and stuff like that. I also didn’t have a lot of time to forge tonight with other stuff so I didn’t have time to make it perfect. Eventually I’ll re do it better once I lose this one. 

I wasn't talking about grind, and finish I was talking about the hammer marks. Better control and you can forge a blade and hardly need to clean up marks. There are just a couple marks where the hammer wasn't parallel with the anvil face. It's a matter of practice is all.

Frosty The Lucky.

Heh, heh, heh. It's just a matter of striking with the hammer face parallel to the desired face of the stock. On a wedge like a knife blade you need to angle the hammer to match. It's just a practice thing. Making leaves is excellent practice and don't sting as much as a blade if you screw one up beyond salvage.

Frosty The Lucky.

Should maybe take a little longer? My advice to beginners is to concentrate on getting good, fast will come with it. I take it slowly on new processes or a new combination to  make products but I was taught that way from a kid. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I understand time limitations, I actually like deadlines, they make a neat swooshing sound as they fly past. 

Just pay closer attention to the hammer face's effects and adjust. Forge the blade with the edge on the edge of the anvil and use half face blows. This will naturally draw the steel thinner at the edge gradually thicker the farther from the edged.

That's a darned good job for a new smith in that short a time. Well done. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty.. My father was nearly the exact opposite..   When we would work together his quote was " We are not building a church"..  I've gotten even more finicky as I've aged as now I can spend the extra time without worrying about what it costs.. 

Justin, I am with Frosty..   You are doing an excellent job at proceeding at your work and you have many concepts down.. 

What separates  average from great is not that big of a leap since you all ready have most of the skills needed in place. 

Refinement and wanting or having the desire to evaluate the work to reach a higher level is all that is needed.. 

I used to be very fast at forging and still no slacker though about 3/4 slower than I used to be..  With this said..  Even with shorter time frames available  putting in and working towards the best finished surfaces will increase your speed overall though it might seem slower initially. 

Forging to finish can offer some serious advantages once it's in place. 

Oh BOY did we have different Fathers! Bet your Father didn't make parts for the aerospace industry, my Father thought of 0.00001" as slop. I had a heck of a time measuring every cut to 1/64" when we were framing the house. WHAT DO YOU MEAN +/1/2" is close than necessary?!:o

I took up blacksmithing at maybe 12 to get away from specs in the mils and the level of stress Dad was always under. He worked at that and closer tolerances routinely but the stress never left him. Blacksmithing was all visceral: eye, hand and ear, using a ruler was tight tolerances. It was what I needed and never stopped playing with fire and hitting things with hammers. I can still hold +/- 0.00001" on a lathe but haven't needed to in a long time. 

I'm not as fast or good as I used to be, the accident screwed up my vision and eye hand coordination. The steel is no longer as predictable so I go much slower. I used to make leaf coat hooks at demos start to finish in under 7 minutes while keeping up a steady patter. up to 10 mins for a bottle opener depending on the type. I can still do it so it's all good. Better, I get to make up tall tales for unsuspecting newbies. :D

Frosty The Lucky.

I appreciate it all. I’m not trying to come off rude or anything so apologizes if I am. I think one of my biggest issues is with my Rush I didn’t clean the spine. I wanted a savage grind to begin so I flattened it with the rounding sides before beveling. I Don’t think I remembered the to use the flat face to smooth it out after. later today I will give it a go and see if I can do it better. As a side note I made a wood chisel from wrought iron and 52100 steel. Etching it now and you can see the transition on the edge 

5F8C1220-BFCF-4871-9578-FF30771D9995.jpeg

The problem with quick and dirty tools that are sure to get lost; is that 30+ years later they are still hanging around the forge and all the *nice* ones have gone walkabout.  I have my first ugly chisel, quick forged to dig stones out of a root burl I wanted to turn.  I don't think I could lose it if I went into a jungle, closed my eyes and whirled around let it fly off and continued to whirl around a bit before stopping and opening my eyes.  Shoot it would probably beat me back to the shop!