I Forge Iron

Justin’s Smithing progression. [PIC heavy]

Justin Topp

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a beautiful representation of a Southern, Nonagavinian, Rock Rose bud opening. The texture is distinctive. 

That's a beautiful flower, it's only folded wrong if you tell people it is. You new guys have to remember why Black Smith and Bull Shooter are abbreviated the same way. It's not about making up lies or misrepresenting your work, it's about entertaining the customer or spectators at a demo. 

I didn't do many flowers, certainly not enough to get very good but they were popular anyway so I called any flower I made a Boggle Rock X x and let the audience or buyer come up with a particular. Lots of Boggle Rock Pansies, tulips, roses. I stuck Daffydill on it if I had to. 

I NEVER misrepresent my work. That's not acceptable, there's a big difference between entertaining story telling and lying. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Good idea on the striking anvil. Might buy a few more forks and make one. Also thanks! 

thanks frosty, I agree that misrepresentation isn’t good but yea the buyer can call it whatever they want! My mother was happy with it so that’s good enough for me! On a side note I got some old ice tongs forge welded in several places made from wrought iron and some iron strips from a wagon wheel hub. Gonna be getting several wagon tires on the farm on Wednesday. All super old wood ones that are just metal rims at this point. I’m excited. They are almost certainly wrought iron. 

66E592AE-D618-46A0-B64E-4583471D45CC.jpeg

2260E889-C987-4CA9-9CE8-47756F781E0A.jpeg

B39676EE-2A92-4020-8143-B7375D2F862C.jpeg

CE2BBD25-8F19-410E-962C-AFA0FB27DAD4.jpeg

I did a lot of searching and came up empty handed too. A lot of modern companies with the same name/ initials is the issue I think. 

its in perfect condition considering it has sat in the woods since around 1905 just rotting away 

Yea you are probably correct. It is likely just the name of a foundry or hardware supplier 

As much as I enjoy a little creative confusion having a little notice of the change is good I guess. It'll save us asking where the heck that other guy, what's his name?  went. 

Ooh ooh. does this mean we get to make up a new nick name for you?  . . . Anybody call you Topper? :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Ha. Some confusion is always fun but I figured a heads up wouldn’t hurt. 
a new nickname is in order I suppose! I be only been called Topper once or twice! 

also I made a flint striker from a file and I accidentally burnt the handle off so I just forge welded a new one on. Looks a bit odd but is very comfortable to use. 

46F31A87-AD48-47AB-A129-1B5A2988E5DD.jpeg

F24326D2-4EFC-4D19-BC35-45C2384D6E39.jpeg

Edited by Justin Topp
I forgot the pictures

Old farm fence lines can be a real treasure trove!  I remember visiting my sister once. She lives in a suburb near Washington DC and I was walking through an old farm being converted into MacMansions next to her neighborhood and the fencerow was piece after piece of 100+ year old farm equipment being bulldozed up and taken to the dump.  Pity that airlines are so fussy about folks bringing scrap metal onboard these days...

Yea I love exploring the woods and tree lines of old farms. So much goodies to be had. So far I’ve only done our family’s farms. I’m trying to locate a scrap yard that will let me walk around and find stuff to buy. Not many around 

Back in the day; not as early as when I got on an international flight with two swords and a guitar and the Stewardess just asked me if I would like to put them in the coat closet...; but still at least 40 years ago, I went on a Family vacation at a "Dude Ranch" about 9000' up in Colorado.  Not much for me to do around there besides eating and riding.  (The horse didn't like the sound of me wearing a chainmail shirt!  I was told it was an ex-rodeo horse and attributed the jingling to spurs...)  I did find an old settler's ruin with a nice scrap pile besides it and got permission from the perplexed people to raid it.  Anyway this was the trip where I got onboard the airplane with a 90 pound carry on---they weighed the suitcases; but didn't the carry ons.  Ahh to be young and strong and *stupid* again....

The tale of me bringing home 50 pounds of coal in an army duffle bag in checked luggage in "recent" times has been told several times here already...