I Forge Iron

Justin’s Smithing progression. [PIC heavy]

Justin Topp

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a very interesting tong, isn't it, CGL?  I can see a lot of uses for it with flat bar.  But you have to be real careful because if the jaws aren't EXACTLY parallel, the flat bar will twist from side to side.

Simple four bar link. If you do a good job of keeping the opposing sides the same length, with the jaws themselves parallel, they’ll be parallel at any width they can reach. Great tool, look forward to seeing yours.

They work! Parallel at every thickness up to its max of 5/8”. Not comfortable at that size but functional. Wrought iron was used for the whole thing. Haven’t decided if I’m gonna etch it. I think I’m gonna but I don’t know how yet. 

16868226-B39D-484D-B775-641C311B8F05.jpeg

D954A21A-2B61-45AE-BF10-F848ABE09C32.jpeg

C9D138CA-DD56-4E46-86E0-C69653C3FA09.jpeg

F3B24DF0-4D02-49EB-8048-1D816D7F15C4.jpeg

I’m setting up to start selling a few tools now and then to help pay for some new gear. So most of these will be sold. If they don’t all sell they might become mine although I’ve had interest. I have no use for 8 pairs of the exact same tongs haha. 

thanks! 

Nice job all round Justin, those are 8 well matched tongs. I usually "grade(?)"  making matched items as a greater skill than making a good product. You got me beat there. The Dolphin nose tongs are very cool, another really nice job of work. What you call them, Flippers? Ark, ark, wheeet?

Frosty The Lucky.

Yup. It will get steel faces. Just like that one I did a long time ago just bigger. I took the handle off and haven’t replaced it yet. 

I was planning on fairly thick faces. Closer to 1/2”. I wouldn’t mind if it’s a little on the smaller side too. 

6EF1038A-842C-4205-8DC7-91B5123913A7.jpeg

A91A45EB-DEF4-41D6-9CFA-F0E444B4EF71.jpeg

Thanks! It’s very soft. 

also I’ve got some tongs planned and if anyone has experience with the material I’d love to hear any advise. It’s grade 5 titanium. 2 12” bars of 3/4” round. All I know is it’s a bit more than half the weight of steel. It comes up to a yellow temp from cold in about 25 seconds when I tried and it’s soft as butter but once it’s about an orange color it’s suddenly very hard and needs to be reheated. That’s what I’ve concluded from a bit of testing. Lovely stuff though 

A9DB2AD7-24C4-4866-AAF3-9DAC64997916.jpeg