I Forge Iron

Justin’s Smithing progression. [PIC heavy]

Justin Topp

The smell of smoldering cotton is distinct and goes off in my mind like an alarm bell with flashing lights. Jr high metal shop class and everybody wearing frayed blue jeans. Cotton smoke pushes a reflex button, probably for everybody from the day too. Well, those not competing for the Darwin award anyway.

If you mix up some Borax and water you can spray your cotton down after it comes out of the wash and it won't smolder so easily and be self extinguishing so long as it isn't flaming on fire of course.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was saying more for that fact it’s usually 70 degrees so hot enough I don’t need one. It was 40 when I went out so I had it on. I wear a big leather apron for welding do I’ve got slag burns covered! The coat won’t be a complete waste though. I will be making char cloth since I’m just about out of it 

Uh HUH. think the flames would've reached 8" tall if you'd been wearing it? Don't hang or keep anything flammable close to the smithing activities unless they're in something fireproof. If I take off a flannel shirt I hang it by the door or in a locker.

Bare skin near the forge is usually covered in a fine sheen of sweat so scale is usually blown off by little stream bubbles. It's only when they fall flat or get caught between your hide and something that they start to burn. The web of your thumb and hammer handles are probably the #1 site though tongs and thumb or between fingers catch them too.

Frosty The Lucky.

11 minutes ago, Frosty said:

The web of your thumb and hammer handles are probably the #1 site though tongs and thumb or between fingers catch them too.

Yup, have had that happen already.  I had one fall right behind my ear the first time I forged, Frosty.  Little bugger burned a nice deep hole that took some time to heal!

Just fix the ones that might get you moderated and leave the rest; helps if you can claim they are the result of TBI issues.  (My spelling has always been atrocious, but my vocabulary large and lately my wife has been playing an online word game---she's learning not to ask for my assistance as I will say things like: "try it both ie and ei as I don't know how it's spelled".

Well I started a fancier pair of tongs today. They are made out of wrought iron because it’s so nice to forge. Got the jaws and one reign mostly done. Any guesses to the type of tongs I’m making ? Forgot a hole in the jaw with the reign 

B0459F0C-4FB2-4176-8449-1BBA0AE19DA1.jpeg

5CF043D3-348F-4BE1-B7F1-A84512767F8E.jpeg

3C916327-5F6A-4ED3-AEB5-C56EACB40BA7.jpeg

Nope no joke! They are tongs that the jaws are always parallel despite the reigns being opened and closed so they can hold different stock sizes to an extent. They are called that because they look like a dolphin. Here’s some pictures I found 

1101A0B7-CC88-4086-90D3-04F1F79E68E0.jpeg

711B516D-7F94-4C82-B52E-4349414C0968.jpeg