Justin Topp

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gave knife making another go. Was looking good but I messed it up. Back to blacksmithing I guess! :) 

I am finally getting around to making a stand for my 8” leg vise. The whole setup weighs about 475 lbs. made of some plate, some h beam, and a 27” lathe face plate 

photos appear to be sideways 

9F2DC4A5-85F3-4635-AC63-C728E85F8FA3.jpeg

268EB99A-B1C1-4D73-BF33-99FEA0A3F0AC.jpeg

Looking good..  I've got an 8" and an 8.5" vise and I still prefer smaller vises for 90% of the stuff I do. 

It's funny how bigger seems like a great idea till you get there..   it's handy for certain things but the little 4.5" is my go to for nearly all hardware work. 

The knife looks good from here..  If you match both sides no one will know but you. 

I've been remiss with the axe photos.. I like it.. I have found the smallest transition from handle to head is the best.. As is a gradual taper.. 

Not sure where the sharp translon point became popular.. You see it on modern axes not really designed for daily work. 

There is a guy who is off grid..  Skill Cult I think is his channel..  He goes into axes and handle shapes..  I don't agree with all his information but there are tidbits of good info there for sure. 

Im going to mount my 6” leg vise too. Which I’ll probably end up using the most. It’s my favorite vise I’ve used yet. May also mount my 4” somewhere. Not sure yet. 

So something like the second finalist axe I made is better? Where the handle is very minimally thinned to go into the eye? I’ll take a look at him. Thanks 

Both my clean and dirty shops have a workbench with a apx 6" and apx 4" post vises mounted to them; one at either end.  The smaller vises sure are easier to close working the handle with your knee while you have a piece in either hand!  I also have a stand alone 6.5" vise for heavy hammering.