I Forge Iron

Justin’s Smithing progression. [PIC heavy]

Justin Topp

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve had a very similar failure while making a ball pein hammer myself. Mine however developed before the quench. It happened while drawing the cheek on the opposite side. I assume it cooled/quenched between the face of the anvil and the drift, and broke from the hammer blows on the cheek I was working on. This could have been a similar crack that broke through from the quench. 
Also, the in the pic above it looks fine on the handle. Was it not quench yet or did it break in use? Did you temper the eye after quenching (usually done with a hot drift)?

Keep at it, I love seeing the progress!

David

On 4/13/2020 at 12:00 PM, Chris C said:

I completely "got" the pun, Frosty...................just teasing because it came "out of the blue", so to speak.  

You got me good Chris. Made me explain a pun I didn't really need to. <s'aaah> Well played sir. Truth is I can't predict what'll come into my mind either. Been that way my whole life.

GuardedDig: You should put it in a display case and tell folk how hard it is to forge a cut away hammer to show how your handles are fitted. Takes a guys years to master the craft to that level. You betcha!

Frosty The Lucky.

Haha good idea frosty! It could make a good display... 

It did fall apart when I smacked some sheet metal and by fall apart explode is better words. The big chunk was 3’ to the right of my anvil one part of the cheek was about 7’ and the other was 6’ to the left. I ended up with just a handle haha. 

Ignore the welds I didn’t clean anything or aim for a nice weld. But here’s a spring fuller I made. I hate spring fullers as they always seem to break. This one is so far working good. Didn’t feel like forging a hardy shank so I made a wedges style and the spike is there to support the bottom fuller 

F8886757-C9EF-4C12-9F86-71F6CC3E5603.jpeg

E399D0D3-3E3A-4C21-B484-8EB5A1785E00.jpeg

I found this wagon wheel and axel cheaply and I planned on buying it for a potential source of wrought iron and I was wondering if any of the other metal bits Besides the main rim are Likely wrought? Such as the bolts or the little loops around the hub. And generally the other bits of metal? Thanks 

5B2D0707-8ABC-4265-B728-81B2E4995851.jpeg

If it's old enough to be wrought instead of mild steel I believe everything but the wheel bearing surfaces are wrought though different grades. The tire (what you called rim) is the lowest grade, "single wrought" maybe even "muck bar."  The band around the hub maybe the same but bolts, nuts, etc. will probably be double or triple wrought. 

Try making some small test coupons and test etch them to see how the grain looks.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ok thanks Frosty and Irondragon F&C. I’m asking because it’s cheap and worst case scenario I resell it at the same cost. Or just use the mild steel. My mistake. I’m not great with terminology. I had suspected it would likely be all wrought but if it wasn’t no big deal. I’ve fallen in love with wrought after messing with it. 

I have a number of set hammers I recently picked up that used wagon wheel spokes as handles. If you are going to dismantle it; use *everything*!

As Frosty mentioned the bearing surfaces are generally not WI. Replacement items may not be WI if they were done in "modern" times.