I Forge Iron

Christmas // Chanukah : Greetings & wishes! 2019

SLAG

Good one Steve! Thank you for giving my Christmas eve with a good laugh. It's a good cautionary message too, I'll never ask the concrete guys to wrap anything!

Merry Christmas or whatever, if you celebrate this time of year one and all.

It's snowing and 18f. here tonight. We finally got the stove guys out to sweep our stack so the stove is burning properly. It's snug, beautiful out and just plain nice.

Love you all. Be well.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Some Orthodox Christian churches (including the Russian Orthodox Church) observe the Feast of the Nativity today, as they still use the Julian calendar, which is 13 days behind the Gregorian (thus January 7 on the Gregorian is still December 25 on the Julian, at least until 2100).

Many Orthodox Churches (for example, the Greek Orthodox Church) use the "Revised Julian" calendar, which is functionally the same as the Gregorian.

No worries. 

Things can get really confusing this time of year, with New Calendar Christmas on Dec. 25, New Calendar Theophany (celebration of Christ's baptism) on Jan. 6, Old Calendar Christmas on Jan. 7, and Old Calendar Theophany on Jan. 19.

Just to throw another feast into the mix, yesterday was 12th Night which celebrates the arrival of the Magi in Bethlehem.  Traditionally, Christmas was a religious festival and 12th Night was to occasion for gift giving to commemorate the gifts given by the wise men.

"By hammer and hand al arts do stand."

It was the culmination of the twelve days of Christmas and was the night of the biggest party. It was the blowout to wrap up the celebration. I watched a documentary about Tudor Christmas celebrations a couple weeks ago. It was pretty interesting. Did you know that the roasted boars head had it's own carol that was sang while it was carried into the banquet hall. It  was published in the first book of Christmas carols. 

Pnut