I Forge Iron

What The Heck Is this? A question

Hopefully I’m asking this question in the correct forum, if not I deeply apologize. My neighbor went back up to northern New England area, I can’t remember where but if important I can get back with you, and gave this to me since he knows I love vintage items, especially quirky conversation pieces. This, the anvil and vise I’ve posted to find out about all came from his grandfathers old barn/workshop that they were cleaning out after his mother died and they are putting the property up for sale. I’m at a lost what this is or what it could possibly be used for because of shape. Not sure if you can see but it’s completely flat on the back. Anything at all would help . 

20B01129-BE8D-4ADC-8596-88A499A17430.jpeg

057465A3-8240-4DA1-B46D-618B680BD9BE.jpeg

1BAA2638-A8A5-4BC3-8B07-E3ADA19773DE.jpeg

EF924163-53E5-4A79-93C1-5E6E0E3449E3.jpeg

0E8FCE13-4788-47FD-8D32-A2E75493CAF6.jpeg

A896C4C7-6E6C-469C-BC5A-1002176DA10F.jpeg

C7956A7B-0852-47EF-B4E6-BCA2EECAB49A.jpeg

A859F0C9-7D43-4B0F-8F91-B544A978C055.jpeg

F5DCB110-4C6D-4901-B4E6-C4F0777D8D9B.jpeg

01350419-E9D8-4A33-8B14-A32B4EB956F7.jpeg

Looks to be a foot or stand, the ring looks to be tapered to receive a bearing, the octagonal wrench faces would be to keep this part from turning when you tighten the nut against the thrust bearing.

That's just my first look thought, I could be wrong. Wouldn't THAT be a surprise?!:rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

This is iron. But I don’t understand your description of what it is or how it’s used

15 hours ago, Frosty said:

Looks to be a foot or stand, the ring looks to be tapered to receive a bearing, the octagonal wrench faces would be to keep this part from turning when you tighten the nut against the thrust bearing.

It does have an octagon shape like a wrench might have but the rest of the body doesn’t go with that type of use. I like you, am never wrong! Right? lol 

12 hours ago, Old Crew said:

Maybe you have large  feet ?    I have a boot jack and it measures 3-1/4 inches at the largest part of the opening and it works quite well for my size 10-1/2 boots! 

Well, nope, actually 6 and half. Gals today wear 9 or so. Can’t figure out how women started getting big feet. The boot jackets we use are to take off our cowboys boots with spurs and there is no way that gives you enough ummph. If used as that the part you stand on to keep it place not very large. I could obviously be wrong but I just can’t see it 100%. That was another thought I had in the beginning also. 

This is metal or some other type of iron. 

6 hours ago, Jasent said:

Looks just like a boot jack I’ve seen before. 

If you get by there again soon, and you get a chance, please take a photo and keep in mind the size. Thanks

I agree with boot jack. It is used with the cross member down so that the fork is off the floor, and stepping with the other foot on the funny circular thingy at the back to keep it from lifting. 

Or so I think.

If it turns out to be an obsolete garden digging implement, I am sorry. :)

Just because you can use it for a boot jack doesn't mean it's supposed to be one, I find the porch shovel works great as a boot jack.

On further examination I'm thinking it might be a dowsing rod to find eggs hidden in the yard! They're very popular for Easter egg hunts and serve the dual purpose of helping defend your haul from Easter egg poachers. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thomas Powers

Do you mean that hard boiled miscreants would recognize that probable boot extractor as a hard boiled egg locater?

Please reply.

Also,  have a belated happy birthday, both of us have survived another year.

Regards,

SLAG.

Should we go soft on such poachers? Or should we throw the english muffin at them!---They will be in hot water either way!

As for surviving, yes.---Flourishing, I'll get back to you on that.  I'm beginning to identify with the wordy but worthy Wordsworth: 

"The world is too much with us; late and soon,

Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers;—"

Well this Powers is feeling rather Wasteland as the eloquent Elliot penned it.

Suddenly losing my job in June and having to find another was more stress than I enjoy---(ahh to be stressproof or invar as I steel myself for another year, girdering my loins...)

Perhaps to end with A.E.: "Out of a stem that scored the hand I wrung it in a weary land"

or as we approach the Solstice, a bit of Dylan?  "Do not go gentle into that good night..."

Is this a sufficiency of Raving?

I’ve tried as boot jack. I just don’t see it catches the heel well enough, nor the piece sticking up. Don’t worry about the spurs they were not hindering the boot even though it may look as if. I’m certainly not arguing because I have no idea. I wish I were able to let everyone hold and try it themselves. I’ve tried to upload short video of me trying to get boot in. It’s a woman boot and definitely can’t see with a mans. Every time I attempt to upload all I get is a black screen

Whatever it is I certainly appreciate all the interest in answering my question. 

• 4 months later...