I Forge Iron

I have a three hundred gallon container that once contained sanitation solution for cleaning chicken houses. There are lots of chicken houses in my area and I see these containers for sale for usually around twenty bucks. They come on a heavy, plastic pallet and have a steel tubing frame on the outside of the plastic container. I cut the top out of mine to make it an open top bin. It holds a thousand pounds so when I buy a ton I fill the bin and then pallet stack the other thousand in 50lb sacks. I use the bagged coal first because the bags do rot pretty quickly. I thought about picking up another bin so I can dump a ton at a time but I like having some coal bagged to travel to events. If you want to spend a lot of money on storage systems, look up U-Line, they have it all. If you want a cheap solution ask a farmer;)

I use an old totaled out truck bed. You could use just a salvage bed liner as well. Ibc tote is a good idea. I have one but have other plans for it. 

When I get coal they just load my pickup bed and then I transfer it the hard way to the storage truck bed.

Recently picked up another old truck bed if I feel like stocking up.

20190309_150221.thumb.jpg.390047357368ca2fbc1109448f72872d.jpg

Storing in a pile on the ground is something I'd recommend not doing. Unless it's on a concrete pad. 

I get about 1000# at a time in my pickup.  I have 10 or 12 plastic garbage cans with lids, 20 gal. size, each holds about 100#.  I just lay a tarp under the tail gate, shovel the cans to about 100# each and wheel them off to my storage place with a 2-wheel hand truck.  I round up the tarp and shake the spillage into a can and I'm good to go.  The trash cans are easy to store in various places and move to the forge when needed.

I can get a ton plus in the back of my old f250. It's heap'd in the middle and a tarp keeps it from flying out.

I've stored it mostly in 55 gal drums. Then I got a trailer made from an old '65 Chevy. If you put it in drums, make sure you put lids on them. Water will freeze in the winter and getting it out is tough.

If you have the space and do not plan on moving things, a pallet with 4 foot sides will hold a ton of coal. 8 foot pickup bed up to the top of the bed will hold about a ton. 55 gallon drums will hold about 400 pounds of coal or 5 drums to the ton. They can be stored covered outside and moved inside when needed.  

Purchase the size coal you need to use. They can crush and grade it to your liking. Just be sure you DO NOT say lump coal. (grin)

lump coal.jpg

I have one of them rolly load things that go in the back of the truck. Just crank it and it comes out pretty easy. Every once in a while you have to move some from the wheel wells. But out it comes onto the barn floor. 

2 bucket loads from an old Ford front loader was 1200#

20191023_134327.thumb.jpg.a06aa65e8598b957942b9d986adbbbdb.jpg

It would most likely look smaller if the pieces were not so big. Some weigh upwards of 40#. 

Edited by BillyBones
spelling error

• 1 year later...

I have a coal furnace in my basement for auxiliary heat. I built a bin out of 5 pieces of 4 x 8 plywood and 2x4 ‘s holds about 4 tons and keeps the rain and snow out. The delivery truck dumps right into it and I cut doors in the front to shovel coal into a bucket. I also have a series of removable slats to. keep the coal from falling out when the door is opened.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if anyone cares but I have another pretty ideal yet not easily accessible method to store coal. Due to my Smithy is a shed in our garden, I store my coal in an old outdoor fireplace by our housewall. It holds around 50 to 75 liters of coal and keeps it pretty dry. If I need some, I simply take a shovel and a bucket and carry the coal the 150 ft to my workshop. And besides a few leaves falling in through the chimney, I couldn't imagine a better coal bunker for my needs. If wanted I can give pictures too.

Greetings