I Forge Iron

Best new anvil

Were it me, I'd go directly to the Soderfors foundry and have one cast from their high vanadium steel. A custom casting would be nice but I can't think of an improvement over their heavier models and I have the experience to know what I like and use. I'm sure they kept the molds, they only stopped casting anvils in the mid-late 70s.  They're well known for getting heat treatment right and I believe they still have the specs and equipment. 

It'd sure be fun to walk into the front office and place the order. "Sorry sir Soderfors no longer casts anvils." . . . "I'd like this one please." . . . "Sir, Soderfors no longer casts anvils." . . . "You take custom orders, no?" . . . "Well, yes sir." . . . "I'd like this one please." . . . "How much to let me watch?"

I've always thought a Soderfors in the 250 range would be nice but if I won the lottery a 400 lb. shop anvil would be sweet. Put an electrified fence around it if I have beginners in the shop. Maybe have the stand chromed, heck chrome the anvil. Why not, if money's no object.

Frosty The Lucky.

I got myself what seems so far to be one of those near miracle anvils.  It was cast in a lot of 12 by a company that normally makes the super hard and tough bits for concrete crushers and such.  It's effectively a proprietary stainless steel so doesn't really rust sitting out in the weather, 80+ % rebound (a hair low but not an issue in use), 280 lbs, with all the bells and whistles one might want in a german-ish pattern anvil.

I've only slipped once with a 12 pound sledge and hit the face full force...and it didn't leave the slightest mark.

And they weren't profitable...so 12 was all they made to the best of my knowledge.

If you do a search for Shultz anvil on this site, that thread has a link to a very long thread elsewhere which shows full development of the pattern design and casting with feedback from other smiths as the pattern was developed.  Not sure how this one ended up for sale (none of the others seem to)  but glad I was able to snatch it when it showed up.

Well; I know a foundry that can cast H13 or 1.2379 (D2 with some heavy vanadium in it), and if money is no issue, I'll think up a design. And a matching stand. and a matching swage block with foot. And given that they probably got a minimum amount of steel for one casting; a workbench ?

one can dream ...

On the other hand, I'm pretty set; I got two gorgeous Skoda anvils; First I thought they were 115 kilo's (250 pounds), but after weighing them they turn out to be 160 kilo's (350 pounds). Double horned solid tool steel, hardened & tempered face; softening down to the foot. I got both for next to nothing, so I already considered myself extremely lucky. 

Thank you, I really appreciate the insight.  Refflinghaus is definitely at the top of my list, I'm just trying to get an idea of what else is out there.

I've heard complaints that Refflinghaus anvils can be loud.  What were your thoughts?

Edited by Mod30
remove quote

You can always check out blacksmithparadise and have a really nice vintage anvil shipped to the states for $500 flat rate shipping for a pallet up to 1000#'s and he even has an anvil over 1000#s so it is possible to reach your weight with one purchase but he will combine purchases on a pallet up to your max weight.

They can be really loud but you get an awesome anvil in return in my opinion, i am saving up myself for this anvil and hope to get it in the near future, you can deaden the ring so that isn't really a problem just bolt it down tight to a stand or stick some magnets under the heel and you're almost not able to hear it ring anymore. the 120KG is my personal favourite because it has a relatively narow face which i am quite a fan of

I don't really know any anvil makers where you live that still produce anvils, but in my region Peddinghaus (or Riggid as its called now) and Refflinghaus are definitely in the top of the makers. 

Look at NIMBA, Holland, Jymm Hoffman, Rhino, as I have heard good reviews for them.

One of my anvils is a 125# JHM, and it is a good anvil for a good price. I picked up mine from a retired farrier and it would last a lifetime for most smiths.

It all gets down to what style you like, and what type of things you will be forging. I am 54 now, so I wouldn't be worrying about wearing one out in the time I have left. 

I got a near new TFS 250# for a price that was too good to pass on. It is basic but and I can't complain. 1" hole to fit my bottom tools so I didn't have to make new ones. That's a consideration. It is my first new anvil and my first shop sized anvil. They are available and if I remember you can get a 300# double horn from them.

An anvil that I like a lot is the 220# Perun Artisan Anvil with the drawing table. Blacksmith Depot has them in stock for a reasonable price. Dreaming, I would design one similar to that but with a double horn and weighing a lot more than I think that would be ideal.

I make Holland Anvil products at my company that my grandfather started in 1943. We currently make 9 different anvils in 3 styles all made of cast H13 tool steel. Our anvils are hardened 100%,  not surface hardened. The bottom is as hard as the top.  We make our own patterns and pour our castings in house and only sell direct to the public, no middle men or blacksmith supply shops involved.  

If you are buying new please consider buying American products and direct from the manufacturer. If not my tools consider one of the other folks that are doing this for the right reasons, love of producing quality tools for blacksmiths. 

Cheers to all