I Forge Iron

Reflinghaus #58 460lbs

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It tested out between 60 and 64 all over. Tail, horn and side shelf and 1 spot just shy of primary work spot 60-61.

Every where else 64HRc. 

I will get my bench top hardness tester in the next few weeks and make a few cert blocks to compare it to.

But against known hardened materials it's pretty close. 

It was tough holding everything and the camera to get it all to jive.

Until the tester is verified it's just for fun. 

I tested it on hardened 5160 and 1045 and it was accurate for those materials as hardened. 

61HRc and 55HRc so seems pretty good. 

I'll makes test blocks which a tool like this should be verified against before use.  

Fun and interesting just the same.

• 3 months later...

So the hardness has been verified using the tester with test blocks..  It accurate enough for me. 

As for use.. It's a great anvil..  I'd love to have more rise in the horn since I use the horn a lot so to account for the desired rise I use the offside radius to gain more penetration. 

Coming up on a full year of use and have no complaints and would buy one again if the need be. 

its very comfortable to work on..  Anyone who swings a hammer a lot will know what I mean.  (feedback, control, metal movement, etc, etc).. 

20200416_181614.jpg

20200416_181628.jpg

20200416_181632.jpg

• 5 months later...

Good photography is about the photographer not the camera. All a camera really does is memorialize a moment in time, the more features one has the more skill it requires.

The main tricks for getting good shots of shined steel are lighting and framing. A direct light like an on camera flash will produce reflections directly to the lens washing out detail. There are two ways to deal with this. #1 is making sure the subject is angled to reflect light away from the lens as Jennifer did in the above pics.

Another is to use an oblique light source. Light from one side at a shallow angle, this will make shadows that bring out surface texture like stamped: letters, numbers, logos. or those cast proud.

Dusting with: chalk, flour, etc. and wiping the surface also brings out texture by leaving indents colored and the surface "clean."

Getting good shots of shined metal isn't point and shoot photography, it requires thought and practice. Folks who can just take good pics have enough practice framing and lighting have become automatic. It's an acquired skill and does NOT come from the equipment. A good photographer takes good photos with the cheapest camera, think the Brownie or pocket instamatic.

Frosty The Lucky.