I Forge Iron

Reflinghaus #58 460lbs

My Father used to say to me constantly.. " WE are not building a church".  

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Uh huh, sometimes you go to too much extra for the results.

See here is the thing.   This is based on your opinion and the way you work.  I'm all for what you do and you certainly have amazing output and input for many subjects. It's what makes you fun to talk with. 

I learned a very long time ago that the only person I need an answer to is myself and the All Mighty.   

Someone wants to call me out to throw down I'm there in 2 steps.  I can go anywhere and forge anything on nearly any forge and anvil. I used to not even bring my own hammers just using whatever the person had on hand.  I"m not the fastest anymore and many times I need to make adjustments when I make something.  I forge once a month if I'm lucky and with so infrequent a time it's hard to stay on top of what's what and be any good. LOL.. 

But every video is a one-take, go out after a full day of horses and have between 1-1 1/2hr to get the item films and done.  No story boards, no redo's.  Just forge and film..

Anyhow, at the end of the day.. the only person I have to satisfy is myself.  I have actually gotten pretty relaxed and let many aspects slide but every forged item that has my mark meets the quality requirements including any of the fabricated items. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

I learned a very long time ago that the only person I need an answer to is myself and the All Mighty. 

Have to agree with that. AND maybe the people you live with. It's always good to hear out other's ideas whether they are used or not, you never know, they might work for you.

Ideas are great.. (if one is kind and functions by forgiveness and understanding it can indeed be glorious for all those involved, Family, friends, strangers) 

I also love when someone goes: 

Here is what I do.. And here are the reasons why.. and this is the result of what I do. and or the reasons why it's different than what you do. :)  in a step by step fashion ideally with photo's.  this is Awesome.  Can turn into a really great and rewarding teaching/learning moment.  

I am never a fan of.. 

"This is my way of doing it, which is better than your way of doing it".  (Ok why is it better?). Better because its easier, Better because it will work for most, better because i'm lazy, etc, etc. 

Better is all relative based on how they use it, especially when they don't really acknowledge how it's used or how it is used differently compared to what they do.  The blanket statement is a tough one as it generalizes more things.  It's one of the main reasons I started the youtube channel. 

I've seen time and time and time again where that person really has no clue and while it works adequately for them. (merely taking the info they found on the net and selling it as their own)  It is lackluster and with such a limited usage when it comes to real use.   (the 50% vs 100%) or good enough..  it only takes a few minutes more to achieve a better result. 

No side digs or the like with these statements toward anyone especially my Buddy Frosty.   Frosty and I have a great relationship and talk about things even though he speaks really good (chuckle) English and I speak a combination of things.  I have much respect for Frosty. :) Again, no digs or the like aimed at anyone. 

With the internet, there should be a great responsibility to get out the correct and proper information for those not in the know.  Problem is when those that are not in the "Know" read and then share the information as gospel based on limited information and experience. 

Ok, so over the past week I spent some time to get the stand for the Peddinghaus shortened and a new bolt flange added to the bottom for the exchange over to the Refflinghaus will only be temporary.. Once the shop goes up the Refflinghaus will move to the shop. 

The Bottom flange is tapered so that only the edge makes full contact with the base. When the bolts are tightened it pulls it down to create a full contact between the base and the stand. 

Tough to cut off, but it all worked out very well. Now I can switch stands and anvils in or out of the trailer with ease. 

20190829_162846.jpg

20190829_172305.jpg

20190830_145854.jpg

20190830_164846.jpg

20190831_114822.jpg

So I wanted to be creative and do something different initially but then the time ramped up as I looked at the limits between the base and the size of the plate for the anvil mount. 

I then decided to go with a design a lot like the one for the Peddinghaus but with some room for modification in the future. 

The guard rails I had looked at for the different aspects. Not sized properly and the bandsaw is down.  Top plate marked out.  Base plates pre-stressed.  Welded into the pre-stressed bottom plate. (can see a little daylight under the center section). 

Plate drilled and bolted to the bottom block. 

The design using the guardrails,  I was hoping I could make work. But not going to happen with the smaller base block. future design maybe. 

Still have a few corner braces to put in. But done enough to work on to make the hold down bolts. 

20190901_124744.jpg

20190901_134720.jpg

20190901_151233.jpg

20190901_152207.jpg

20190901_152223.jpg

20190901_152604.jpg

20190901_153936.jpg

20190901_160432.jpg

20190901_162313.jpg

20190901_165829.jpg

20190901_173540.jpg

20190901_175124.jpg

20190901_175307.jpg

20190901_175401.jpg

20190901_175405.jpg

20190901_180531.jpg

20190901_184038.jpg

thanks Chris,   It was a great project to get done.  there are a few projects like this (being able to remove the stand) so it will make the trailer even more usable.  Refinements in a way. .Stuff that when I was originally building it that I just let slip and even when I made the Peddinghaus top section or stand proper last year I had thought about being able to bolt in a stand instead of welding it, but welding was/is just so much faster. Well, that is till now. 

Now I can just swap in different anvil/stand combinations with simply removing the 4 bolts.  

About 3 more hours of fab work would be my guess. Part of it is just figuring out how I want it to be. 

thanks. Ah,  yes for sure.. I imagine if one wanted to lock the anvil into or onto the floor that would work for sure.  Install an anvil concrete mounting block like with a foundation for a power hammer..   You have me thinking now. :)

I plan on installing as Frosty calls them gizuntas in the new shop floor so this could be an option as well.  some sort of pin locator. 

And for those that have not seen the trailer build thimble.  The base has been standardized or modified several times.  Just gotta go through them. There is also a thread here on IFI.

Those photo's are from the google photo album:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/7LiM5kqvRc1FomfU6

20160815_144213.jpg

20160815_184435.jpg

20160816_144322.jpg

20160816_161112.jpg

20160816_180435.jpg

20160816_184052.jpg

20160816_185825.jpg

20160817_151157.jpg

20160817_193539.jpg

20160817_200407.jpg

20160818_185444.jpg

20160818_191625.jpg

Thanks.   

LOL. You don't and is the reason why I made the base block have the bolt holes (easy to adapt now). Now it's just a matter of making a new bolt flange for any steel or wooden stand I could ever want. 

There was actually a lot of engineering that went into the current block/stand idea with future-proofing built in so to speak. 

there is roughly 2" of clearance under each stand when it is not mounted on the trailer bottom block.  this 2" is the clearance I need to bring the anvil height to 31" which is my preferred anvil height. 

Not only this but for others who like a taller anvil height or a lower height it can be adjusted accordingly. 

Chris, I know you don't Facebook. but really if you check out the trailer photo's page on google it will shed a lot of light on the whole thing. 

the Refflinghaus stand as it sits now is only for the trailer.  I designed it so when it moves from the trailer into the shop I will be able to finish the build-up on the stand to it's finished form which will have a conical appearance vs straight with 4 legs on the diagonal. 

Dear Jennifer,

This is something I have wondered about folk with large anvils and other large equipment such as power hammers.  How do you move them around?  An overhead crane of some sort? A crane or davit mounted on the back of a truck that you maneuver close enough to pick up heavy object?  Some sort of temporary gin pole arrangement?  An auto engine dolly?  I just moved my shop 150 miles and moving my treadle hammer involved pry bars,  a come along, and a handy man jack.  Moving bigger stuff seems impossible without some serious machinery or LOTS of friends/employees/apprentices/bystanders.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

On 8/26/2019 at 10:51 AM, jlpservicesinc said:

I have much respect for Frosty. :) Again, no digs or the like aimed at anyone. 

Wadya mean no digs? I thought we were all friendly now. <sniff>

Oh, the floor sockets are "Gozintas" because stuff GOZ IN TA them. I started out calling them floor receivers till someone told me what they're actually called. They are no more my idea than the name, I adopted both. Try and get SOMETHING right will ya? :P  

Frosty The Lucky.

George. 

The first photo's on the thread show a trailer I built nearly 23 years ago. It has and overhead crane/trolley on it with a 1ton capacity though I have moved items as heavy as 2700lbs. 

I have the 2nd version of this system in the works for moving heavier items but till the shop is up it is a project that will sit on the back burner. 

When I built it, it was the top of the engineering I could muster with the skills and tools I had at the time. 

it is not the prettiest trailer out there but after some trial and error the trailer morphed into what it is now. 

originally it started life as a single axle trailer designed to be pulled with a 1970 SAAB 96V4 Then as I moved into newer heavier SAABs it needed to have the extra axle and extra length. The overhead crane also grew. 

the next design will have dual channel for the top trolley and adjustable legs for height.  I found that on moving larger projects the height is the limit with the current trolley and chain fall. 

Being able to raise it or lower it will open up other possible easy moves. Also slightly wider by about 1ft between uprights.  I have all the materials on hand, just no time to dedicate.  though with having to work on a tractor it might have just moved up in work schedule. 

Frosty,   I'm all about the "Possiblities" and as such my skills in english are far exceeded by my skills in speaking giberous. 

Oh one other thing George. 

I moved the 460 anvil by hand into the trailer.  I also moved a 7ft tall camel back drill press to the trailer by myself for loading all by myself. 

I learned that there is a balancing point on all things that with just the right balance will nearly find there way to where you want them to go. 

Of course there are limits but the drill press was maybe 500lbs.  I have moved the Blackwidow anvil and stand by myself and that is nearly 600+. 

Dear Jennifer,

Well, you are a better (or stronger) person than I am.  I can dead lift a 100 pound anvil into the back of a vehicle if I have to but that is about my maximum given age, knees, back, condition, etc..  I wouldn't begin to attempt some of the tasks you mentioned without serious mechanical advantage and assistance.  Yes, having a chain fall in reach is a major advantage.  My new shop has a roof of 2x4 trusses and I have been looking up trying to figure out how much load I could put on 1, 2, 3, or more of the 2x4s on the bottom of the trusses.  As a swag I am thinking that I could safely hoist 250 pounds per truss.  I might reinforce them by putting additional, short 2x4s between the horizontal bottoms and the inclined tops of the trusses.

Thanks for the info.

"By hammer and hand al arts do stand."

I had back surgery some 10 years ago.  I don't lift anything much anymore. about 80lbs is about all I want to lift.  if I do lift something it goes into my hips and put all the weight on my legs one of the great things about being a farrier is using the legs every day. 

If I have to lift anything over about 50lbs I find help or figure out other ways.  the anvil I walked up the ramp into the trailer and then slid it across the floor in a zig zap pattern. 

the drill press I pushed it up onto a corner while rocking it and once I started the rocking I just guided it as it penguined across the floor. 

Anyhow, one does what they can and if you were more local I'd be happy to help you assemble a trolley on your trailer. 

I know myself how important it is to have the freedom and ability to move heavy items with little fanfare.  I know where there is a 10K triple axle trailer  i was thinking about the items that could haul. 

Well, we are about 2000 miles apart but I hope that we sometime will meet face to face.  The only regular on IFI that I have ever met in the flesh is Thomas Powers and that was through the SCA and before I was seriously participating on this forum.  I also hope to meet some of the other regulars that I feel I have gotten to know fairly well.  If I had the time and money I'd like to visit the IFIers in Australia and then on the way home stop in Russia and watch Alexandr work his iron magic.

One of the current theories is that the Easter Islanders "walked" the moa statues from the quarries to the platforms where they were placed.  It makes sense to me but I'd like to see a full scale experiment.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

There is a possiblity I might meet many. :)  Depending on how things go in the school it might completely change my traveling.  I honestly don't know where the school will lead. 

Everything happens as its supposed to. 

Being a history buff and loving terrain or varied terrain, I do see travel in my future.. :)

21 hours ago, George N. M. said:

Easter Islanders "walked" the moa statues

I saw a special on that, I think it was National Geographic, where a team actually were able to "walk" a full scale model of the MOA. If I remember right they walked them for hundreds of yards, really fascinating. Kinda like one person walking a very heavy anvil on a stump stand.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjhkpXk9LXkAhVaFzQIHc6vD7oQwqsBMAJ6BAgIEAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DJ5YR0uqPAI8&usg=AOvVaw18Jwx0rQT1EwvH_5xjuxnc

I got a chance today to hop on the Refflinghaus and start making the hold down bolts. 

Not sure what the difference is, but working on this anvil reminds me of being in the old shop. I place the hot metal on the anvil and whack, whack and it's moved the way it's supposed to vs whack, whack, etc, etc, etc, etc, whack,. whack.. Hitting it 2 million times. 

Anyhow,  these are rejects as they are not up to full size on the eyes.  I wasn't thinking straight (one of those days) so necked them down when they were supposed to be a full 5/8" round.  They are 1/2".. 

20190903_212223.jpg