I Forge Iron

JLP Blacksmith Teaching Center.

Larry,  It's amazing how many people claim to not be afraid of heights (AKA OK) and after being in the "women" lift  20min they are clinging to the side..  

It's a different experience for sure because it's not solid, and even people who are OK on a ladder will have a change of heart in the Lift.. 

There is no sense of solidness..  The nice thing about this lift is the 66ft extension can be straight out vs a modern machine that will get tippy..  At 66ft though it's a lot like a diving board, trampoline or air bouncy house.. If you move quickly the basket will also move away from the pressure. 

Steve, so basically it just comes to hanging down the wireway and feeding them in just like I've been dong right along.. 

I've found that on straight runs of conduit, there is oftentimes enough sag that the conduit can be pressured more to bend to make up that 1" or so distance needed (shrink) to insert.. 

Where I find there is a problem is when in an area like this with the 34.5 degree bend at the ridge completely has the easy bend going away or towards the top vs the bottom..  if I had 2ft above the bend it would slide right in.

Anyhow I was hoping there was a trade secret that was known and shared with other professionals that was kept from the public at large. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As  I've gotten older my acrophobia has gotten worse.  Starting in my 40s my body started involuntarily reacting to exposure to heights, even when I knew perfectly well in my mind that I was perfectly safe.  I can't even look at a video showing exposure.  Martha, my late wife, hypothisized that my body knew my reflexes were not as quick as they had been when I was younger and was reacting accordingly.  Now, I can go a few steps up a step ladder but that is about it.

JHCC I'm deathly afraid of heights..  always have been.. Driving over a bridge can be a painful experience.. 

Steve, I just had to undo all the strut clips and feed it in from the other end..  I was able to turn the Bend to the side some and get the flex needed..  

I was just hoping there was an "easy" way..   I knew I'd have to redo the work I already had done and was not wanting to do it again..  I marked everything before I took it apart so made going back together a little faster.. 

I am going to add another 2 runs of conduit from the main wireway..  I need a box for the left side lights .. 

George..  I feel you..  I can't even watch a movie where they look over the edge..  I jump back in my seat.. 

I don't do well watching things..   I do alright doing them..   In other words I have to do the thing to trigger the part of my brain that allows focus and then can do.. 

On the couch or in the car I can't tap into that area of the brain.. 

And yes, age is a lot of fun..   :)  the alternative well..  

I have no photos of today work.. 

but every step is a step forwards.   

I still have about 40 pieces of 3/4"X10' EMT..    So plenty to finish what I started.. 

I love the enthusiasm.  IFCW..   

I find it hard to believe I'm nearly done with the school building build..  I also find it hard to believe I will actually have some  life and extra time back to do things I like to do. 

Luckily there are no convoluted pulls..  Most of the pulls are straight. 

In terms of the build,  interior siding,  sub panel and conduit for the work stations..  Then can organize all the equipment and then wire the 3ph machinist equipment. 

Really not much left. 

Frosty  thanks, not to sound sarcastic..  Do what ever I like.. :)

Maybe go for a hike, or a bike ride, or maybe take a full 5 or 6 hours to go and play in the woods..  

I might even go WW Kayaking or maybe scuba diving..  

Once the building is done then I will start to organize the inside in preparation for classes..  

For the first time on this whole project I have a time frame in mind that might be doable.  Late winter to late spring for the first class.   

Steeled wrought iron hammer making..   Will be a private class for some of my peeps.. A run thru with feedback.. 

What sounds like sarcasm? Before I got a job that entailed living, working, etc. 24/7 for weeks on end just being in the woods was very relaxing and refreshing. Not so much anymore but I remember well. Don't get a job like that. 

It's been so long since I went scuba diving I'm thinking I'd like to go somewhere with warm water! I'd have to take a class and recertify but that alone might work. Cool something else for the snowbird list. :)

Kicking back and relaxing doesn't mean couch potatoing! No NO NO! Unless that's what a person wants to do of course.

Frosty The Lucky.

39 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

might even go WW Kayaking

No that sounds like a plan and I imagine there is some good steep creeks in you area! I haven’t been on the water in maybe 10 years, but I do miss it and for me it’s usually a 6hr drive to good runs.

Keep it fun,

David

Frosty, LOL.. "don't get a job like that"..     I'd take a job like that vs a farrier any day. It really depends on the money vs time.  Yes, I'm outside and yes I get the worst of it. 

It's interesting getting older..  35 years outside with the rain, snow, mud, etc, etc..  I don't mind the snow or rain when it's doing..   Doing anything other than farrier work. 

But working.. eh..  Dirty wet horses.. Super fun..  I have to psych myself up for work these days even on the best of days..  Be my own cheerleader in my mind..   

David,  yes we have some decent class 2, thru 5.. It's still a few hours drive to the bigger stuff but I can hit class 5 in high water 45mins from here.. 

There are some steep creeking areas but I never got into it..  I've done some creeking in my play boat but the volume is to low for the really steep stuff. 

I used to go kayaking by myself but wouldn't do that now.   And I haven't been in my boat in about 12 yrs.. last time I sat in it, my hips were so tight I lasted 2 mins.. 

I'll have to heat gun the hip area to loosen it some.. 

I used to be really thin..  Anyhow, it will be nice to go and do other things.. 

More progress again today..  Not as far as I wanted to get but it's still progress..  Made great progress yesterday.. So I suppose the progress today was to average out.. 

20231212_165559.jpg

20231212_185744.jpg

Yeah, I understand. I was pretty heavy into back in the day. I realized I was pushing too hard and I would get hurt if I didn’t back down. So, I switched to C1, and almost started over. (Only ran one class five after that and only after a couple years.) I switched over just after my first son was born, priorities changed! Play boating in a C1 is an absolute blast. So much torque to throw the little playboat around! (Upper yough in a C1 playboat, not so much fun…)

I can’t wait till you have that up and running. It will be nice to see you forging more.

Keep at it, almost there,

David

I started in a Tandem Canoe as the lead person..  Was tough being dyslexic and calling sides..   

My buddy and I hit some class 5 WW and my buddy did not have a great experience with the fast, heavy water..  So wanted nothing to do with it anymore.. 

So that switched me over to kayaks..  I went and took lessons and bought a boat..  Was a lot of many make then..  

I bought a Riot Booster..   I had tried a few boats during the class and the  Riot brand of boats seemed to jive.  

The upper Yough is supposed to be fantastic WW..     I've done the Deerfield, the Dead, and the Kennibeck,  Quaboug, Ware, as well as a handful of others..   I was involved with a group for awhile and they would go to all the big New England WW..   

LIke everything I just don't seem to find the time to go have fun..   

As to forging more..   The thought of getting out and forging more is a good one..   When I was a professional I stopped forging for fun..   I only forged when work was on the hearth..   

I'm still kinda the same way..  Being involved with different organizations keeps me forging more..   And of course there are all the demos..   I forge roughly about 12 times a year event wise and video wise. 

So, yes getting the school and shop up to speed will allow for more freedom with some passing by kind of forging.. 

On that note..  

Update time..  Was able to get more conduit in.   I'm in a good position to start pulling some more wires.. 

Pretty much have the wiring runs figured out for the lights, the EXIT light, infrared heater, garage door opener and a few outlets..  This will start to go fast now that the conduit is up.. 

And a photo of the scrap..  Still some used good pieces in there..   Saddle bends did me in..  As did a set of 90's..  I made them a few inches 2 short and didn't realize it until they were all done.. 

I actually feel pretty good about the amount of scrap.. 

20231214_162815.jpg

20231214_184404.jpg

20231214_184448.jpg

20231214_184510.jpg

20231214_185347.jpg

Well now..  Since I need to get the Infrared heater setup, and I finally succumbed to finishing the end wall insulation and membrane.. 

I needed to put the heaters intake into the side wall before the insulation..   This meant having to get the heater centered in the building and getting it aligned.. 

When I first put it up it was "close" for up, out of the way..  But now it was time to get it where it's home is so dialed it in and got the hole cut in the side of the building.. 

I also installed the insulation hangers but draping them onto the screws that poked thru and then gorilla taping then bodies to the siding..  That's what the black stuff is. 

The heater took about 2hrs to get centered and straight..  I used some of the turn buckles from when I installed the duct work for the furnace..  I used larger models on the duct work so had some smaller ones..  

The heater install kit came with dog chain..  I'm not sure why dog chain is used at all..  With the double locked links it's impossible to get the right distance.. 

So tomorrow will be to install the intake vent and get that center section insulated and membrane installed. 

The insulation tape I ordered from a few different sites there are some clear winners..   The stuff I've been using is stellar. Better than the Bayliner tape by a long shot.. 

20231215_185558.jpg

20231215_194953.jpg

more progress today.. 

Was able to install the cold air intake for the Infrared heater..  The hole was cut in the siding and then I made another plate to overlap the hole..  This second plate was fitting tightly to the pipe pass thru and all silicone and screwed in.. 

this type of double layering helps seal the intrusion.. 1 layer of siding is very weak and super soft..  Doesn't hold screws well..  But doing 2 layers it works way better.. 

No matter how "un janky" I try to make things..  Things still come out janky..   At some point I just throw my arms up and move on.. 

I was then able to install the insulation up to the rafters and install the membrane..  I learned a lot on this membrane install.. 

the new tape is tenacious boy is it super sticky..   Once the membrane touches it, good luck getting it pulled apart.. 

Next time I will install the top of the membrane before installing the insulation and fit it without tape..   Then I can cut and trim it without all the stick stuff.. 

learn, learn, learn..    

Getting done is where it's at..  If I can keep up this pace I might be able to install the insulation and membrane and nearly all the electric pulled..   All the 4 11/16 covers came in as well as the 4 gang covers.. 

I have a little more trim work on the center membrane but it's up and sealed.. 

20231216_155338.jpg

20231216_175934.jpg

20231216_184047.jpg

Thank you Larry..  When I try something..  I try to do my very best..  I get discouraged when I try my best and it still comes out Janky..   

in all my years there 2 things that have always been.

I can't drill a straight hole to save my life even with a new drill bit and a drill press.. And no matter how many times I measure I can never cut anything to the right length.. 

Anyhow, mounting the cold air intake I measured,  I leveled and marked, drilled, and LOL.. Yup, crooked..  By a lot..  I can see it from the ground..  

While it's simple sometimes I just ask.. Why..   Then I have to throw my hands up and move on. 

3 years from now that will be eyeballing me and I'll have to fix it.. LOL..