I Forge Iron

Up swing to high fuel costs.

I have been getting a bunch of requests to make old school heavy pipe T style clothes lines for backyards. Keeping fingers crossed that the requests for wagon wheel repairs will also pick up with raising fuel costs.:D Like my grandfather always said " If life gives you lemons then make whiskey sours." :o

Doubt you will get an upswing in horse transport accessories. Cost of owing a horse is going up too! Since we don't have pasture out here---if you don't irrigate it it's rock and sand---there are a lot of horses being sold or given away in every Craigslist as folks can't afford them.

Can you sell them an S hook to hang the bag of clothespins on the line with?

DaveM, those back yard clothes lines are pretty common around here. With the high cost of electricity, I suspect they will get more use.

I've been wondering, myself, as to just where the high cost of energy is leading us as far as lifestyle is concerned.

I'm terrible at prediictions........a couple years ago, when the price of heating oil/gas went up significantly, I predicted more folks would be using wood or coal for heat........and that they might want more fireplace tools than usual.
Well, it didn't happen,.......at least not yet, but who's to say how it will be this winter?

If folks can't travel as much and have to stay at home more, will they want more nice hand-forged items around their homes/ farms? Things that represent real solid value in a rapidly changing economy, perhaps.

With recent food scares and high prices at the grocer's, more folks around here are growing gardens.........there may be a need for good quality gardening tools.

I was shocked to realize that a new good quality pitch fork from the farm store now costs $60 !

Every thing is changing!

We put up an "Amish" style clothes line - with the pullies, etc. I made pullies from a kid's bike wheels, and forged the mounting clevises.

Goatman I am not sure what an "Amish" clothes line is would you post a pic for me please. Thank you William

goatman....gotta love them amish clothes lines....some of em get pretty long and high..

triw....i guess you havent been thru PA dutch country....yoo shoot come here sum time an wisit......lol...as they say

Edited by fat pete

It's certainly affecting things here, now petrol (gasoline) has hit $1.50/litre or roughly $6/US gallon. People are travelling less, so its already affecting tourist numbers. I've been working part time for a caravan (sorry, trailer!) manufacturer, and he's laid me off along with another part timer, because orders have ceased. No more "grey nomads" cashing in their super to go travelling around the country.
As for clotheslines...you mean people who rely on tumble driers? In suburbia here, and out of town where there's room, I guess most of us use a Hills hoist, a rotary device like a big umbrella with wire; or maybe one of the extending lines for smaller yards. Not much chance of making those on a forge!
I have been thinking about a move to horses, but those decals on the odd horse float declaring "Poverty means owning a horse" have scared me off! The next one is planting a grove of oil-producing trees for bio-diesel, like Pongamia, but its a 3yr wait untill you run your vehicle!!:P

Anyway, you bring up a good point, what will this increase mean (besides higher prices for almost everything) in the way of opportunities?

Cheers,
Makoz

Try planting "amaranth" if it's allowed down under. It's a grain that's not only edible but produces a lot of high quality oil per acre. It grows FAST, requires little cultivation or water and is exceptionally hardy.

Using corn for fuel is pretty dumb, unless your constituents grow corn that is.

Frosty

This is the kind of clothesline that is typical around here. Just two 'T's made from 1&1/2 in. pipe.

I didn't make these, but rather , I found them in a scrap pile.......free for the hauling.

By the way, a lot of us decorate the back yard with cows..:)

6995.attach

6996.attach

As far as horses making a comeback as source of transportation, I think the U.S. is ill equipped to make that change any time soon.
Not enough folks who know how to handle a riding horse or a team and wagon........no place to hitch 'em when you get to town........no livery stables like once existed here.

But here's a thought........I remember my dad (he was in England during the 'Blitz' during WW2.) telling of how EVERYONE rode bycicles over there.
Of course it was wartime and there were fuel shortages , I'm sure,
but he said riding a bike was the preferred way to get around.

If one were near a college town or some other bike friendly place, it would be a good time to establish a 'bike shop.
I think a lot more folks will be using them.........just a thought.

James

Horses are way more expensive than GasoMobiles even at double or triple todays fuel prices.

They're also heavy polluters. During the days of horse drawn transport, towns and cities had to keep permanent manure collectors on staff 24/7. NY City employed thousands and disposed of many tons of horse manure a day. All of it hand collected from the streets, stables and such cleaned and hauled their own or paid for city pickup.

Can you imagine trying to feed hundreds of thousands maybe millions of horses, just for NYC say. How many semi loads of hay and grain would it take daily? Trainloads dedicated solely to horse feed I'm sure. Same to dispose of the manure. Compost on the level of hundreds or thousands of tons? Yeah, right. How about water? Know how much water a horse drinks a day?

Believe it or not when the internal combustion engine became popular it was more expensive to own, feed and maintain than today and it was FAR more economical and ecologically friendly than horse power.

It's a fun fantasy though.

(Me and Banjo cir. 67-69)

Frosty

6999.attach

Edited by Frosty

Civilwarblacksmith, that's kinda what I was thinking.
My grandson wants me to ride HIS bike, and the seat just kills me.

So what about making a COMFORTABLE seat........a real cargo rack.......Maybe add shocks!

Bikes today are designed for kids and racing........why not make 'em for the adult population as well!

Around here, we are seeing a noticeable increase in the number of folks who use a bike if they live within a few miles of work - even with the heat. And a lot more motorcycles are being drug out and used during the week, not just on one weekend a month for the Harley joy ride.

Like jayco mentions, there is an unfamiliarity with bikes and how to ride by a lot of folks plus the manufacturers will address a market only if they see opportunity. There are very good bikes around but they are not cheap and they are not kids toys, and can not be bought at W-mart, or K-mart, or a discount store. A real and useful bike costs real money and there are a lot of choices today as opposed to decades past.

As for opportunity for a Blacksmithing as it relates to the oil costs, I don't know. But something that may happen is a swing toward charcoal or coal by folks who use propane. Anybody know sources of inexpensive charcoal? - neighbors in cities might not like us making our own.

I think if I lived in area with public transportation then that is what I would turn to, however for a lot of us that just isn't an option, nor is riding a bike, even if it weren't for my back, I have a 15 mi ride one way to work, maybe 15-20 yrs ago but not today. I do however drive the wife's car more now insted of my truck.

welder19

The only horse drawn work I get here is from the local Amish who have a shortage of smiths in this area. The horsey set has several farriers that deal with hooves, something I won't deal with.
Finnr

Many people who own anvils have them as garden ornaments; quaint flowerpot stands etc.Very few 'normal' people know about scrapyards. If you're a little strapped for cash due to fuel costs etc., that nice man covered in coal dust and with burn-holes in his shirt offering a few hundred cash-in-hand for your flowerpot stand will be mighty tempting.

I know of a guy who had to relocate to a new job. He sold his nice house to one of my cousins.He had an iron pot, an old wagon wheel, and a little farrier's anvil on the porch.
Part of 'the rustic look'.........He placed no particular value on these things...........and just left them!

There's no moral here, but my cousin has a free anvil!

Funny things happen when money gets tight.

An old man I once knew(speaking of the 1930's depression) said... "Stuff was cheap!.........But nobody had any money!"