Sign in to follow this  
Zachary

My latest pattern welded attempt

I was trying for a feather pattern but it didn’t quite work out like I was hoping. The handle is zebra wood and a homemade sheath. Steel is 15N20 and 1084. I’m pretty happy with it although there’s plenty of room for improvement. 

7658DB28-21B0-4384-A042-6071CF4918DE.jpeg

BAD697F8-8102-4FE6-86D8-7D158E09997F.jpeg

C0CAC1C7-9188-4023-A188-DBAF97F06FF0.jpeg

568E4795-660F-4956-90CB-E26443107ADF.jpeg

4936E0F2-C0C3-4B5B-9FF0-905C8B207CBC.jpeg

8323CA7C-90FF-491F-94C3-4694C31D0620.jpeg

Ooh, NICE pattern I LIKE it! So call it a "ruffled feather" pattern and tell folk how long it took to perfect. Remember, BlackSmith and Bull Shooter are abbreviated exactly the same way for good reason. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Hello:

Well I for one don't see a problem with the pattern at all...but then again..what do I know anyway?? I am just and old man working in his front yard...I don't see any bad welds or inclusions so...you done a really decent job on the steel..

FAB

JPH

JPH thank you sir. The only problem is it didn't turn out like expected but then I kinda expected that!

I'd call that a win.  What did you use to make the center cut?

The only nit-pick I'd throw out is that the handle doesn't quite live up to the steel.

Great looking piece of work none the less.

15 hours ago, Zachary said:

The only problem is it didn't turn out like expected but then I kinda expected that!

Then it DID turn out as expected!

Frosty The Lucky.

I used a handled hot cut to cut. That’s the only wood I have that was big enough to do the handle. I’m trying to find some more nicer wood. Frosty I try to manage my expectations!

Very nice work. I absolutely think the feather pattern turned out wonderfully, but I can certainly relate to that feeling when something doesn’t necessarily match the picture that was in your head beforehand. 

I think the zebrawood is fantastic. I used to use it occasionally when building fretboards for electric basses and guitars. There’s a bit of a glare on the handle in most of the pics which detracts from what I’m sure is a much deeper and bolder grain display and contrast.