I Forge Iron

My latest pattern welded attempt

Zachary

I was trying for a feather pattern but it didn’t quite work out like I was hoping. The handle is zebra wood and a homemade sheath. Steel is 15N20 and 1084. I’m pretty happy with it although there’s plenty of room for improvement. 

7658DB28-21B0-4384-A042-6071CF4918DE.jpeg

BAD697F8-8102-4FE6-86D8-7D158E09997F.jpeg

C0CAC1C7-9188-4023-A188-DBAF97F06FF0.jpeg

568E4795-660F-4956-90CB-E26443107ADF.jpeg

4936E0F2-C0C3-4B5B-9FF0-905C8B207CBC.jpeg

8323CA7C-90FF-491F-94C3-4694C31D0620.jpeg

Ooh, NICE pattern I LIKE it! So call it a "ruffled feather" pattern and tell folk how long it took to perfect. Remember, BlackSmith and Bull Shooter are abbreviated exactly the same way for good reason. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Hello:

Well I for one don't see a problem with the pattern at all...but then again..what do I know anyway?? I am just and old man working in his front yard...I don't see any bad welds or inclusions so...you done a really decent job on the steel..

FAB

JPH

Very nice work. I absolutely think the feather pattern turned out wonderfully, but I can certainly relate to that feeling when something doesn’t necessarily match the picture that was in your head beforehand. 

I think the zebrawood is fantastic. I used to use it occasionally when building fretboards for electric basses and guitars. There’s a bit of a glare on the handle in most of the pics which detracts from what I’m sure is a much deeper and bolder grain display and contrast. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 5:45 PM, Zachary said:

That’s the only wood I have that was big enough to do the handle. I’m trying to find some more nicer wood. 

I hope this is an OK post, if not, Glenn, Steve, I apologize and feel free to remove.  I'm just trying to help out a fellow knife maker.

Zachary, if you really can't find any acceptable handle material, I'd suggest checking out https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/for-sale-knifemaking-supplies-tools.765/

And no, I'm not merely trying to drum up business.

On 1/7/2019 at 2:30 PM, rhitee93 said:

I'd call that a win.  What did you use to make the center cut?

The only nit-pick I'd throw out is that the handle doesn't quite live up to the steel.

Great looking piece of work none the less.

I believe the handle perfectly compliments the blade, doesn't overshadow or detract.  Very nice work.

I, too, like the look of that pattern.  In trying to figure out how you did that, I'm wondering how you cut and stacked the layers before splitting.  It looks to me like you stacked them with the layers lined up longitudinally with the blade instead of perpendicular to the blade, which is how the standard feather pattern is done.

662132810_featherpattern.jpg.09252ec2279f863c8629f71d97c793df.jpg

as always

peace and love

billyO

I'm still trying to figure out how that happened, so my other thought is...

Did you forge this by hand?  My guess is yes, and if you've noticed, while drawing out a billet, because of loss of material due to scale top view the bar ends up looking something like this:Untitled.jpg.cec754f0a799cdb672a56b769f83ee47.jpg

So when stacking for the chisel cut, you wouldn't get the exact alignment I showed in the 'standard' above, which could cause what you ended up with.

When using power, there is less loss of material, so it's easier to keep the layers aligned like the 'standard' pattern.

I'd appreciate some input from those smiths who have been doing this longer than I have.

as always

peace and love

billyO

Hmmm...I don't use a press, but do use a #250 chambersburg with big flat dyes and haven't had that happen on the 3 billets I've made yet....

sigh - I guess I have to keep trying..

as always

peace and love

billyO

PS- whereabouts in norther IN are you?  I'm from the Chicago area and thinking about moving back to somewhere on the south side

I hear ya, Maxwell.  My brother is expecting -40 in Minnesota....

But to be honest, I'm more concerned about the 95 deg summers with 90% humidity that cools down to 90 deg with 90% humidity at night.  

You can always put more clothes on, but only take so much off.

Stay warm and safe.

As always

peace and love

billyO