I Forge Iron

My latest pattern welded attempt

Zachary

Oh yeah. I always tell people I'd rather be too cold than too hot. "I can always throw on a hoodie or a hat if I'm cold, but when I'm hot there's only so much I can take off before I get arrested."

But I love cool/cold weather. Always have. Love storms too. If I lived in Florida, I'd be that idiot you see on every news broadcast when there's a hurricane coming, standing on the end of the pier watching the storm.

On 1/30/2019 at 7:27 AM, MaxwellB said:

when I'm hot there's only so much I can take off before I get arrested."

Is the pokey air conditioned? Might be worth it.

Deb and I visited her Folks and Sister, summer before last in S. Cal. hit 100 f. range I about died AND it was a dry heat. I grew up there and didn't much like it then acclimatized or not.

About an hour ago I went outside for a few pieces of firewood in my T shirt, it's 9 f. I put on my hoody flannel shirt jack if I need to walk the dogs, that usually takes a few minutes. I put on a jacket to get a sled full of firewood from the shed though, I'm getting soft. I have a GREAT parka and know where it is if I need to spend time outdoors below zero, Carharts black snowsuit, bunny boots all handy. I'm geared for -50 with wind but I ain't a going out there unless the house is on fire!

Feel cold? Put on thicker clothes or slide your chair closer to the stove. Easy.

Frosty The Lucky.

Zachary, I Grew up in North-Western Indiana; It was full of Red, White, Pin, Burr Oak, Sycamore and Sassafras trees.   North Central Indiana means East of LaPorte, and west of Napanee, right?  I gotta believe there's some burl available from a local mill out of some of those tree species.  Though I haven't seen Oak used much for knives.  Maybe some Walnut or Hickory burl?  Some of the big branches off of an 80ft. Red Oak gotta have strong decent figure in it.  Good luck.  I enjoy your posts.  Want to see lots more of these so-so knives from you.  Thanks.

On 2/1/2019 at 6:58 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Or get busy; I remember shucking down to my T shirt while hand sawing wood in a foot of snow!   (About half a century ago, I'd at least use a chainsaw nowadays...)

Oh yeah, a calm day and a little physical work will keep you toasty but you want your thick clothes handy if you stop or a breeze comes up. Been snowing all day at around 19 f. makes a nice dry snow but that makes any traffic stir up a white out in it's wake. Lots of ditch divers but I haven't heard about any serious injuries or fatalities. That's the good thing about severe snowfalls they scare the idjits into slowing down.

It's my fault, I had to drop the plow to use the truck a week ago Saturday so we got an inch the next day and this snow is predicted to last til mid week. 6-8" so far today. Stupid snow didn't stop when I put the plow back on the pickup!

As much as I enjoyed it I'm glad I don't clear the highways anymore, days like this are non-stop and constant call outs. Last week one of State guys killed a pedestrian with a belly blade sander. Ped was wearing all black and walking in a lane. Pedestrians and kids especially wearning black at night and walking in the lane used to scare crap out of me I dreaded hitting one. I had 3-4 close calls a week easy, major pucker factor every time you hit the roads and not the road conditions.

Frosty The Lucky.

Studded tires and 4x4 are really popular, you see them in ditches everywere. Folks stud up or drive a 4x and think they can drive like the pavement's dry.

Counter official warning 4x4 does help you stop faster, it makes it harder to stop the wheels turning. 2xs will skid on the undriven axles first and they you're on a 2D ballistic course.

No studs or multi drive axels on state snow removal equipment except the blowers they need 4x or the snow coming out of the valute will push you sideways right off the road. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

When I lived in Ohio; I'd see 4x4's in the ditch on a regular basis---sometimes ones that had Zoomed past me previously. Yes they have 4 wheels driving---but they had the same number of wheels breaking as my 2wd did.  (Or as an offroading friend would say:  4WD doesn't necessarily keep you from getting stuck; but does ensure that you when you get stuck, it's in much worse places to get out of!