I Forge Iron

How to forge an edgewise Holdfast video.

In response to someone posting a question here.. It posed a great video opportunity..

I'm always looking for material to cover that is unique and not main stream with a million videos on the subject.. 

This is one such video..  I've use vertical hold fasts for many different jobs over the years and they come in very handy for many things..   Ideally can be used like a vise, a bolt or rivet making header as well as an angle vise..  They can also be used as a flat jaw vise, but more on that later.. 

This was designed for a Nprth German style anvil which has a thicker ratio face to waist..  London pattern anvils this works extremely well, easy to use, and you can make the tapers longer allowing for holding of many different widths..  This particular 1 was designed around 1/4" and it will hold slightly over down to about 1/8" with no slipping.. 

This was in response to the thread here.. https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/60835-edgewise-hold-fast/

and here is the video..  

3 hours ago, HojPoj said:

JLP, this was an excellent video.  Thank you so much for taking the time to document the build and showing how it's used!

Thanks.. :)  Your most welcome.. I hope it's something you will be able to use.. 

2 hours ago, Allen Corneau said:

JLP, nice video.

If I might ask, what is the advantage of forge-welding the bend versus just leaving it bent and not forge-welding? 

The advantage is this:  In heavy use, the bottom of the device is hit from the bottom to get it out of the hardie hole and to loosen the jaws..  It will get deformed much like the end of a chisel or striked tool.. 

If it is just bent over the jaws won't stay parallel as long nor will the size of the shank as it is driven back up getting deformed with each hit. Also with the greater length a weld is stronger..  and With having just a thin web at the bend will also propagate stress crack through the middle. . 

If one doesn't know how to forge weld.. This little item can be made in 2 pieces and riveted with a longer leg going through the bottom of the hardie hole..   Or the bar can be upset and then split out like a fork would be.. 

This item is also easier to make for a London pattern as it only needs to be about 3/4-1" longer than the thickness of the heel of the anvil where it comes through the bottom of the hole. (this german style has a deformation in the bottom of the hardie hole blocking about 1/4 of the hole)..

With this said;    Because it's a very easy tool to make.. You can use the idea and not forge weld the shank, nor rivet the 2 pieces together..   This was shown for heavy use..  For lighter use say 30 times a week depending on how hard it is driven in the hole it might last a year or 2 or longer..   

Again, it's just an idea/concept and the skills shown are to plant a seed of knowledge for others to take  and use to bear fruit upon their own tree..  

So, great question and there is no reason other than for longevity sake and jaw long term accuracy..   :) 

If you do make one,  Bent, welded or split..        Please post a picture back with reference..  

Thanks again.. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I liked it! I’ve watched several of your videos, they’re all good. I would pay to watch you demonstrate if you were anywhere near. I see you switched hammers at about 17:55, to your wrought iron steel faced hammer. I caught two misspelled words and one homophone: site and cite. I would recommend having someone proofread before committing subtitles to video. Once done they are permanent. Keep up the great work, I wish I could do it! I like the subtitles and not trying to hear a voice, maybe it’s just me? I also like the fast pace.

thanks for the kind words..  If you ever happen to be out this way, or at the 2020 ABANA conference look me up.. 

I switch hammers all the time depending on the force needed though a 4lbs to 5lbs seems to be my go to.. 

the videos well, they are tough..  It takes hours of editing and then a main production, then a watch through, then another edit and render, and another watch through..  In total for a 1hr filming it takes about 12-16 hrs  before the film is ready..   At this point a second or 3rd pair of eyes would be great as this is on top of my other work.. :(  by Hour 5 I"m pretty much ready to call it quits.. Most the videos are 30minutes to 1hr in length to get started with the raw footage.. 

There can be as many as 4 cameras runnng at the same time and now I have 1 for side (horn view),  1 for top Horn view and 1 for anvil face. and 1 for vise..  It was a huge step up using 3 cameras for both horn, face and side horn.. This cut down on edit time as before I would have had to take the horn footage from the main face shots.. 

Getting time of for a newer faster computer.. I have   1TBSSD drive, 16GB ram and an earlier I7 processor but it is still challenging and slow to edit.. 

All the filming is in real time with only the reheat times taken out..  or of course there is a speed up which is obvious.. 

Thanks again for all the feed back.. I hope the mistakes on the title pages wasn't 2 disturbing.. If you give me a time frame I can edit them out again.. :) 

JLP

I too admire and have learned a lot from your videos. To your credit you seem to be far more motivated by the content than you are “your brand” that is admirable, however it would be great for me to see the person behind the content. That is not a criticism as much as a desire. In terms of editing for spelling etc it is nearly impossible to be the writer and editor. It does not trouble me as I seldom notice misspelled words it is just not how I read. At one time in my Career I needed to write quite a bit and it needed to be perfectly spelled and punctuated I had it read by someone besides myself. Can’t see the forest for the trees. Love your work. 

Thanks so much for giving me feedback and suggestions.and letting me know you got something from them..   I'm always hopeful others will understand what it is I am sharing..    

You called me out big time..  its' all good though..    I will take getting in front of the camera under advisement though initially I'm having a knee jerk reaction..

I realize people want to connect with a person..  I just have a problem combining the 2..  video presence with information/footage..

I very much like a video that just shows the work ( I love old industrial films) Mark Aspery's videos are some of my favorites..   I can't get behind most videos because of the person being heavy on camera.. :(  it's nothing about the person. It's just the information is what I want to see. 

When I look at vintage hardware or tooling I often wish to have met the trades person to compliment them on there work...    I'm not a very good self promoter though I am getting better about it even though I don't have a clue what proper etiquette is.. 

It all comes back to the work should speak for itself..  (this is a huge hang up for me for as long as I have been smithing)..Its a character defect that "Quality should speak for itself"..  (not the quality of the video but of the forging)

You are being very helpful and I really appreciate your feedback as this subject  is troublesome.  But, with this said.. I'm not sure how to do the videos differently at this point to have them be more than they are now for others that would keep them as simple but with the information that is important to me..  I keep coming back to an intro with talking about the item. but it means more editing and a story board and such.. Real film making.. Argh..    

Do you think a general intro would be better??? 

Currently I setup the cameas and just start forging and filming.. :)   

I can only see from my point of reference so getting feedback is important..  I'm not sure how to combine the personal on camera presence with the content that is being presented this will take some time..  I don't move to fast.. :) 

I'm not a showman.. I just forge metal..    You have given me several things to think about..  Thanks  a bunch.. 

You do you. Make the kind of video that shows what you want to show in ways that you want to show it. I don't think there's any question about how useful and informative yours are, and if keeping the focus on the work rather than on you is what makes you happy, the rest of us will just have to lump it.

I personally very much appreciate your approach with minimal conversation and good video of the process. I think a quick intro “who am I and what I am making “ would be perfect. I believe it would broaden your appeal. Many videos have to much blather going on. 

3 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

I'm not a showman.. I just forge metal.. 

I love the way you do your videos.  We almost always get two different points of view of the work simultaneously, there's never any brash annoying music, and your text typically sets the stage well and explains almost anything that isn't obvious by just watching the video.   Of course it's natural to be a bit curious about the person doing the work.  We get occasional glimpses of you, but you make the star of the show the process.  You normally speed up highly repetitive sections and go back to normal speed where it's important.  Sometimes the hot steel is so incandescent that it is difficult to see what every hammer blow is doing, but I'm not sure there's anything to be done about that.   Overall I find the videos darn near close to perfect for anyone who really wants to learn how to make what you're making in that episode.

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

You do you. Make the kind of video that shows what you want to show in ways that you want to show it. I don't think there's any question about how useful and informative yours are, and if keeping the focus on the work rather than on you is what makes you happy, the rest of us will just have to lump it.

Thanks for the encouragement guys..  I feel the same way, but in todays place.. Social networking is it..  

I get analytics from youtube all the time and well, they are not good.

They give you watching retention, market share, demographics and a whole bunch of other information as well.. Average watch time is only about 10minutes.. Most the videos are 30minutes or longer..  Most popular video is the Basket twist handle but even this only has a watch retention of of 10:17..  Of course it has 27,000 minutes of viewing since posted.. 

When I do post videos there is an upsurge in views and suggested videos becomes the #1 view source..  IFI and SFT are the top external sources (groups) but this is because I start a thread and curiosity.. :) 

I don't want to cater to the masses nor do I want to change the information I am showing, but...     

There is a select breed of follower that like my style.. .LOL..  Great minds and all..  

It may seem like I have a big ego, or am willing to go to the mat, but in reality it offers no pleasure...   I'd love for people to see another perspective vs just the main stream.. Heat, beat and repeat mentality..   I know you guys get it..   

thanks for your support and help.. 

I’m glad you tolerate constructive criticism, most take it personally or as an attack. Your reply to “Horse” has me curious about the possible differences between your videos and live demonstrations. Would your preference in a live demonstration be to have  prewritten large white drawing paper, follow along, signs on an easel or do you have the bubbly banter for audiences? Don’t mean anything by asking, the questions, answers, and style of video have me wondering.

Most live demonstrations include jokes and some entertainment, I’ve been to some that are akin to watching paint dry. I know you have too. I suspect videos and live demos could be quite different animals. I’ve been on videos, while working, and given demonstrations, but I’ve never made a full fledged, edited, quality, informative, instructive, video like Jennifer’s.

17 minutes ago, duckcreekforge said:

I’m glad you tolerate constructive criticism, most take it personally or as an attack. Your reply to “Horse” has me curious about the possible differences between your videos and live demonstrations. Would your preference in a live demonstration be to have  prewritten large white drawing paper, follow along, signs on an easel or do you have the bubbly banter for audiences? Don’t mean anything by asking, the questions, answers, and style of video have me wondering.

I'm all about the learning..  If there is a better idea out there i'm all for it..  

So your question about the differences between live or video is a huge explanation..    

I will try to shorten it though so it's tolerable..  

I am certainly no bubbly banter kind of person.. LOL.. That is cute...  LOL.. Anyone who knows me will tell you I am extremely kind, patient, but all business.. LOL (though they might not agree with my methods).. Lol..   That's funny..  I have many problems with social cues so unless a joke directed in a way I can keep up ( As an example:     3 men going into.. I know this is a joke or a knock, knock. etc, etc) but it has to be perfectly clear or else I won't get it nor will I follow it because I can not see contextual changes..  It's one of the big problems I have with the conversations online via thread, texts, etc. etc.. without the feed back and facial expressions, body language and such.. 

Demonstrating at Fairs is a rather just work at what I am doing and depending on the questions and the crowd will dictate what is made both in time and depth.   (No white or chalk board).. These days it's more talking than working (which I dislike).. :) 

Demonstrating at a blacksmithing meet (non teaching just demoing or doing my own thing). (( No chalk or white board)..   because I am asked a question is usually based on explain as I forge with feedback from the person or people in the group so they understand what I am doing.. Usually I'll ask for questions and point out problem areas (No running narrative per-say..)   Actually a lot like the titles in the videos..  But work extremely fast or I should say at my normal pace..   Since it is a blacksmithing meet or group most all ready know me so feel free to ask for help or how to make XYZ..   They all know my work style.. 

Teaching:   Demo's or class room style..   White board or chalk board for basic foundation usually drawn as I am explaining the concept, and then a show and tell style format.  Usually done in a slower method so everyone can keep up but then when finished I will work with each person to refine and understand the concept.. And will then pin point by forging and narrative to help the student see.. 

I'd rather teach more than anything else.. But demonstrating is a form a teaching..

I think it's pretty short so there it is.. :)  

29 minutes ago, duckcreekforge said:

Most live demonstrations include jokes and some entertainment, I’ve been to some that are akin to watching paint dry. I know you have too. I suspect videos and live demos could be quite different animals. I’ve been on videos, while working, and given demonstrations, but I’ve never made a full fledged, edited, quality, informative, instructive, video like Jennifer’s.

There are a lot of people out there that will add humor to there presentation and will joke and if we are strictly talking human interaction..  The joking person or presenter will have a better reception as will the information they are offering..    In some regards  " Known as selling ones self"..  I am in no way a jokester though I do have a sense of humor..  LOL.. 

I'm not about selling myself.. But more about giving the information a new home..    Any and all feedback is welcomed..  I really appreciate it.. 

My journey has been varied and I have just pretty much worked hard everyday of my life..    I'm okay with it, but this hardness comes out as a no BS (Biki and Ski) kind of thing..  Working for myself for all these years I'm more of action person than a contemplation person..   :) 

I want to assure you JLP that I think that I would change almost nothing about your style of presenting a video for our education. Maybe the most easily absorbed I have seen. My only point is that myself and I believe others would love to know just a bit about who you are. On the other hand there may be some majic  in a certain amount of anonymity.. who am I to judge, someone said you do you. And that is exactly what you should do. 

I'd love to find someone to do the intro like the "Twilight zone"  or the intro to the Moody Blues..  Breath deep the heavenly gloom,  ( I don't remember the lyrics just the sound of it).. 

Horse, @duckcreekforge,   I appreciate you guys asking the questions and for everybody offering suggestions and helping with feedback.. 

While I make videos I would want to watch I do see that they could be different to attract more viewers..  I've been told they are very reminiscent of films shown in school.. 

Not sure whether it was in a good or bad context as i love those movies.. :) 

Thanks to all you guys.. 

I'm with arkie & 1forgeur on this. My wife & I love your videos. When ever one of us are watching one, the other recognizes it as your video just from the sound of the hammer on anvil. One thing you might try is on the first intro page, a still picture of you as part of the background might satisfy new viewers and help them connect with you. Of course you would have hammer in hand at the anvil.:) Keep up the good work we all love it.