I Forge Iron

My workshop and a knifemaking course

Hello All;

Just wanted to show my workshop (yes, I know, I have too much tools :D ), and a group of people making their first knife.

They wanted to use both the gasforge and the coal forge, so we did the heavy metal moving in the gasforge; and the finishing and heat treatment in the coal forge.

It was fun, educational, and everybody left with a razorsharp knife. All participants were absolutely amazed about their own creations. A couple have already said they want to do it again to improve on this or that parts of their knife. I told all of them that your first knife is something precious, don't modify it at all. If you want to improve it, make another. 

Just FYI, I do this kinda thing once or twice a year, on request of a group of people between 4 and 8 people. 

And it motivates me to clean my workshop :D

09dc32e8-857d-4760-845d-7332b12c5bb8.jpg

9eb96afa-1d5b-41f2-8b8a-a49500ef4347.jpg

11fdda09-057a-4a7d-995e-e655e780b7ea.jpg

75b5babf-b4ed-4209-9e6f-443285ef123a.jpg

233be63b-dee6-4a70-970f-3b0c019cccb0.jpg

382efe06-54a8-42cc-a9db-3d21820a032d.jpg

611e369e-4829-4c05-8624-c47417273958.jpg

70531f22-405c-40be-8730-ccae18ec141a.jpg

62168507-1f73-4c11-9574-9aae80249b45.jpg

b107f0be-a8e6-4586-a893-8eb049a8e9c1.jpg

d4fb103f-8286-4324-837b-ea812cebd1fa.jpg

d37ababd-4e8a-4be7-95dd-e1e96300dab4.jpg

d59a8060-a047-4390-9c31-2c2c80ee8cc7.jpg

ee9006ac-4ff1-4cf5-bc32-e3fd8f8059f5.jpg

I do envy you.

As much as I like blacksmithing, I like introducing it to others. Alas, there are no others.

At first, I thought MOST men will want to experience blacksmithing, and especialy bladesmithing. Then I corrected that to "many" men. Now I can't find any among my friends and colleagues. Even my own flesh and blood prefer to stay home with their computers.

Every now and then, a kid "strays" into the shop, and gets excited about hammering hot iron. but that lasts no more than an hour.

You"re must be doing something right.

9 hours ago, lyuv said:

At first, I thought MOST men will want to experience blacksmithing, and especialy bladesmithing. Then I corrected that to "many" men. Now I can't find any among my friends and colleagues. 

The key word is men.  Most men will want to try Smithing but unfortunately men seem to be an endangered species in these touchy feely metro sexual times. 

Plenty of schools around these days for blacksmithing, provided you are willing to travel and pay for schooling.  Last class I took at the New England School of Metalwork in Maine had another student who traveled from Wisconsin to take the class (it was his second trip to Maine for classes).  A ten second google search has classes at Three Creeks Farm in Tn, at Tennessee Tech, and At Iron Mountain Craft.  Were you expecting to find someone in your village?  If nothing else I hope you have contacted the Appalachian area chapter in Knoxville and asked them if they have a member close to you who would consider giving private, paid lessons.

Have you looked at the Appalachian Center for Crafts, John C Campbell Folk School; two ABANA Affiliates in TN, Haywood Community College in NC has ABS (American Bladesmith Society) classes,...   I would contact the ABANA Affiliates and see if they know anyone closer to you.  I get referred students from the NM affiliate on a regular basis as they are about 4 hours away from my place down here.

You are a heck of a lot closer to a bunch of places there than I am here!

Heck just put blacksmith classes into the search bar.  I found 15 different places on the 1st page.  Now granted they might not be local to me(or you) but they are out there. 

I went thru tillers international since they are local to me. $200 for the weekend class ( 2 days lunch provided). Took it with my dad also.

Socrates: I remember reading "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."  And that can be interpreted to mean if one is motivated enough, one will travel and seek out that teacher......Good luck going forward.  It is a fun, rewarding journey.  Tom

5 hours ago, tkunkel said:

Socrates: I remember reading "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."  

That's actually from Mabel Collins (the Theosophist, author of "Light on the Path"), not Socrates (or the Buddha or Lao-Tzu etc etc).

Well; all of them as a group are planning a sequel. Granted, there will be one or two less; but I still consider it a success. And Most of them have more people they want to bring along; so for the next course I'll probably draft one of the "regulars" in my shop to help me :D

Also I specifically target groups of scouts or similar; and tell them it's a great way to learn to work together as a team (teambuilding). Which it is, if you're taking turns on the sledgehammer.

Keep in mind; I don't do this for a living; this is my hobby. i'm a professional IT guy; specialized in Linux; mainframes and Really big computing and storage things.

Also; I've *never* turned a student down. Someone willing to learn is precious. Okay, I've told one guy that he needed to work on his hand-eye-coordination a bit because he was hardly hitting the hot steel and more dodging the hammer towards his head :D.

It was just one guy; most of the other have really learned something.

mvg; Bart

• 1 month later...