I Forge Iron

Anvil Stand, maybe

So today I walked down the railroad tracks with my wagon and chainsaw and cut out a nice section of a tree that fell a while back. It was a big tree. I think it’s oak but I’m not sure. Maybe someone ca say if it’s otherwise. I only got two smaller pieces but plan to go back for more tomorrow. As long as I can make it sit flat I think it will be a good stand. I thought about trying to square it up but I don’t have a chain for ripping wood. 

746770F0-8C67-4B1C-B9F4-9249F08A9D2B.jpeg

D1F8B251-ECB3-4A5C-AFE7-E9CB70C985BB.jpeg

F02E9ED1-4B80-4533-80E1-3A93161500BF.jpeg

FD6EC749-B207-4381-ABA8-03DF53565993.jpeg

You built a rather strong box to have to think your way out of. Once outside the box you could use a sledge and wedge or even a froe.  A draw knife, hewing ax and other wood working tools will work. 

Why will the chainsaw not work for that small a piece of wood?

It's been a couple few decades since you  needed a ripping chain. Just  don't hog the cut.

Modern ripping chains are regular chains that have had some teeth removed say every 3rd. the really aggressive ones have every other one removed. The harder t he wood the more teeth. Just go slow it'll be fine.

You're stuck in a box alright, one common to almost everybody just getting started. You're making the false assumption you need the "right" tool for the job. The RIGHT tool isn't one specially made for the job it's one that will do it effectively.

The ONLY must have tool is the one between your ears but you do have to get it fed up with knowledge and experience.

Frosty The Lucky.

I’m not super keen on chainsaws, my dad cut trees for a living for several years. So I’ve used the plenty but never to rip. Never really looked into ripping but remembered him saying they made chains just for that. The chain on the saw is already needing replaced and didn’t want to risk messing it up. Was probably going to ask his opinion on it when he calls me tomorrow. So if I need/want to take a little width off it, could probably do so with the regular chain?

I guess just never trying cutting with the grain I didn’t want to mess it up. Cut plenty of trees down to be confident in cross cuts though. 

If you are simply cross cutting to square up the ends, no ripping chain needed. Just use a regular cross cut chain. For short lengthwise cuts to trim the sides, the same chain will work fine. Ripping chains just make longitudinal cutting easier than using a cross cut chain. I knew a guy who ripped 12" x 12" timber beams that were 16 feet long with a standard cross cut chain.

Alright, I might just leave it the width it is but my anvil is only 11x10.5 at the base. So I might want to trim some off to be able to get in closer. Probably won’t square it up if anything I’ll just do 2 sides close to the base size. I’ve still gotta get some flat cuts so it will stand right first though. Never tried to make parallel cuts for something like that with the saw before. One reason I went about 10 inches too big so I can make a practice cut first. 

If you want to shape that log and do so safely without using the chainsaw, get yourself an electric plane. You can shave up to 1/8" in one pass and do so safely even though with a bit of noise. 

Get rid of the bark before you either rip or plane. You can use a hatchet for that. 

If we're talking about the wood pictured, and if you use it with the larger end down for stability, your anvil base will hang over at the corners. If you can go back and get a piece with a larger diameter, it might work even better. 

Hawk