I Forge Iron

could use some anvil advice

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea on what you have but hammering will wreck the drawer slides and drive the drawer into the drawer below it. 

Find some wood and make a real anvil stand at the proper anvil height for you. 

funny you should mention that..... that's exactly what happened..... I think I know where I can get a couple pallets but it'll have to wait till monday. (no truck tomorrow and he's not there on sundays)

thought I'd atleast get a day out of this setup before it broke. 

Look for some metal banding or strapping while you are on the hunt. Use it to hold the 2x4s in place. 

Landscaping timbers will work, or an old tree section will work, lumber from a construction project, or lumber from a frame used for pouring concrete. It is not the exactness of the design in this case, it is what works. You could just plant the hammer head in the ground for that matter. About half way down works fine. Expect it to grow taller after you squat down to use it for a couple of hours. (grin)

my uncle should have a few pallets I can have. I'll know tomorrow. I shut the forge down for the day. but atleast I'm gettin a ok idea on what I'm doing as far as making this peice of steel longer. it was 6 inches long and now it's 8 inches long. once I figure out my anvil headaches I'll be off to the races

Last time I had to drop our heavy work Truck off to be worked on. I asked them if they had any broken semi axles. They let me dumpster dive for free and I walked away with 5 axles 4 with the bolt plates still on and I belive it's a main shafts out of a semi transmission. If you think outside of the box you can always find something suitable to be an anvil.

IMG_20180310_1354276.jpg

IMG_20180310_1354331.jpg

IMG_20180310_1354566.jpg

On 6/8/2018 at 6:18 PM, FlatLiner said:

Last time I had to drop our heavy work Truck off to be worked on. I asked them if they had any broken semi axles. 

This is what we call GTTS: Go To The Source. 

Pallets were just an example of a possible scrounge source. Almost any lumber on end works a treat. If you use framing lumber try to stagger the joints so they interlock. Liquid nails comes in small squeeze tubes now so you don't need the gun and construction tubes. Liquid nails and screws, staggered joints and it'll be solid as a rock.

Frosty The Lucky.

You LIKE the way it bounces on the tin shelf? Newbies, Heh. :rolleyes: You want your anvil's face coupled as directly and rigidly to the ground as possible. Right now you're hammering on a trampoline wasting much if not most of your energy flexing the tool box rather than moving the stock. 

Give this a try. Lay your hammer head on it's side in the middle of a bench away from the legs and try a little forging on it. Then try forging the same size stock with the hammer head over a leg. You'll see what I mean. Personally I'd sit on the ground and smith before I used your tool box anvil stand. 

Frosty The Lucky.

You need to get off the computer and get over to the Genesee branch NYSDB meeting to try out setups that actually work pretty efficiently so you know what to compare to (or take a class at Arc and Flame to really accelerate your learning curve) . 

As regards locating bulk drops of steel in Rochester, NY, you are lucky enough to have a local source that will sell to you over the counter.  Klein Steel Direct (105 McLaughlin Rd) will sell offcuts of mild steel in a huge variety of crossection for a sliding scale , depending on how much you purchase, that usually works out to around $0.65/lb or less.  That is where I got my 120 lb striking anvil billet from, though they don't always have drops in that size.  For starting out a length of 6" diameter x 2' long mild steel set on end and regularly refaced with a 4.5" angle grinder will work quite well for you. 

I've also seen free tree stumps all over Rochester from folks who have cut down their trees.  Many have even been sectioned appropriately already.  Keep an eye out while driving around and reference the "free" section of the local Craig's list.

2 hours ago, boattlebot said:

I'd cut a hole in the bottom too. the 4x4 would be resting on concrete. the box would just hold it up really.

Would'a, should'a, could'a.

Nailed it, thank you Latticino. 

The best you can do online is locate things and get help solving problems. Unfortunately there are so many people posting: opinions, videos, and how tos, etc. with no expertise more than a camera and connection it does more harm than good. Until a person has some real knowledge and experience you can't even sift out the good from the nonsense. 

Being self taught is NOT A GOOD THING, I speak from experience. You'll learn more in a couple hours with an experienced smith than you will in weeks on your own, forever if you don't get off the computer, light a fire and at least TRY the advice with which the old hands gift you.

Frosty The Lucky.

Remember, Just because you have something, it does't make it the best thing to use in every case. The tool chest is there, but it is not the best thing to use for an anvil stand. There are so many better ideas that would cost little to nothing and work a million times better shown in the improvised anvil thread. 

I was just over looking at it and can say there are some great easy stand ideas. Save the tool chest to keep extra tools in. 

What do you need to know about it?   Iron in the hat usually is done by people donating blacksmith related stuff to the club; it could be a hand forged item, or tools or materials or books...and then they are raffled off. Sometimes by individual cans in front of items for tickets; sometimes by first draw gets first choice, second draw gets second choice and so on.  Some group also have trade items where everyone makes their version of an item and all who enter go home with someone else's.