I Forge Iron

True prices for anvils.

Picked this one off CL this summer. I had been looking for a small anvil for a miniature forge I have. He dropped from $100,to $60. It is marked 50# Rings nice, and has decent rebound. Supposedly came from a mining operation in Ely NV.

Don't discount the $1 a pound pricing, even today. I bought a 170# HB last year for $175 (we thought it was 175#), a like new 125# JHM Journeyman w/single burner forge + 3 boxes of tools for $250, and then this little guy. All of these came off of my local CL. The other anvils I have are listed in an earlier post, and all were right around $1 a pound,and all over the last 20+ years. I still haven't been able to catch up with the guy in town who has an anvil sitting on the ground outside of his shop since I moved here. Looks like a HB in the 150-170 range to me.

As for pricing it is all supply, and demand. If people stopped paying $3,$4+ a pound, prices would come down. I call it the ebay effect. I am sure prices would be very different, if you didn't know what others were paying due to the internet. And yea, I wish I had bought that 1970 Superbird in the back of Hot Rod magazine in the 80's. 440, six pack, 4 spd, 4.10, $4,000. $400,000 now. Even the original 1966 Hemi Charger w/1,000 miles on it(put on a 1/4 mile at a time) for $22.5 would have been a great investment 10 years ago.

post-9835-060793500 1285639754_thumb.jpg

post-9835-052799800 1285639775_thumb.jpg

post-9835-041922900 1285639797_thumb.jpg

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't discount the $1 a pound pricing, even today. I bought a 170# HB last year for $175 (we thought it was 175#), a like new 125# JHM Journeyman w/single burner forge + 3 boxes of tools for $250, and then this little guy. All of these came off of my local CL. The other anvils I have are listed in an earlier post, and all were right around $1 a pound,and all over the last 20+ years. I still haven't been able to catch up with the guy in town who has an anvil sitting on the ground outside of his shop since I moved here. Looks like a HB in the 150-170 range to me.

As for pricing it is all supply, and demand. If people stopped paying $3,$4+ a pound, prices would come down. I call it the ebay effect. I am sure prices would be very different, if you didn't know what others were paying due to the internet.

Among smiths, there is more or less a market price because we're largely in touch with each other through newsletters, hammer-ins and big events. Antique dealers are also in touch, and we all know about their sort of fantasy pricing, but again they have at least a semi-standard market.

And then there's the whole different world, of garage sales and people who are simply getting rid of stuff. Those prices are all over the map--from inflated versions of antique prices to amazing bargains. I may have bought my anvils years ago, but I got a 100 pound leg vise with 6 inch jaws right in my neighborhood. My partner spotted it in a garage sale, and the guy was asking 60 bucks for it. She checked the screw and it was in perfect shape, even had its spring and mounting hardware there. She bought it on the spot, and the fellow proceeded to get guilty about charging her so much. He insisted on throwing in a whole wheelbarrow full of other tools, including a couple of anvil tools, some tongs, and a ten-pound sledge! This happened just two years ago.

Good deals aren't all ancient history. Our tools tend to be heavy (we must be the only people on Earth who talk about an anvil as being "only a hundred pounds") Some of the best deals I've gotten, thirty years ago or last week, have been from people who were moving, and didn't want to move that ton of old junk Grandpa had stored. Or people who were simply sick of stubbing their toe on the xxxx whatsis. (Freestanding blowers and dismounted leg vises seem to provoke people in this way a lot. ;)

Conrad Hodson

OK I picked up a clean little 60lber at my flea market for $30. One of my mentors picked up a 50lber at the scrapyard(nice also) for $9. Should we advise
not paying more thay that. Point is that was then and here and just being in the right place at the right time with $ in your pocket. It's sorta like auctions.
Big city and or tourist spots bring your gold card. Find one where ya park in the pasture and go to the barn. Also watch out for those with buyers premiums
Seen them as high as 30% Ask Ask and Ask again. The flea market seller will bring
hammers and stuff and leave the 200lb anvil at home. Yard salers aren't going to drag it out either. I found my 6 within 50 miles.
Ken.

All that I can say is to pay what YOU are comfortable with. For some folks a $100 for any anvil is a lot of money, yet for others it is no problem.

I have paid what I have because, for lack of a better term, I am a cheapskate.

I have known some people that want something, and want it now no matter the cost. Me on the other hand, I have no problem waiting until I get it at a price that I agree with.

If you can afford $2,$3,$4,$$$$$ a pound, pay it. The only thing that matters is if YOU are happy with the purchase.

All that I can say is to pay what YOU are comfortable with. For some folks a $100 for any anvil is a lot of money, yet for others it is no problem.

I have known some people that want something, and want it now no matter the cost. Me on the other hand, I have no problem waiting until I get it at a price that I agree with.

If you can afford $2,$3,$4,$$$$$ a pound, pay it. The only thing that matters is if YOU are happy with the purchase.

Amen Bro, Should have said that myself. Where ya are can set the price. Need can set the price. Want is even worse. Go to an auction say I am only going to spend
$1.50 a lb D__m outbid by $.50 Go to $2.50 D__M outbid now $3.50. Been lucky so far. Last was a minty 174lb Trenton in a car dealers storage unit on the orig stump for$300. Went to a demo at a supplier one night after checking his site.
Big anvil for $1200. Had 3 in the door way for pick up that night(all went) I have trouble buying a P hammer for that. It is what ya want vs what ya can afford
I have learned if ya can afford something at $500 don't bid $550 Befor ya know it it's $750. However watch the item closely. I lost an air hammer for under $350
cause I wasen't here to bid. Don't kick my butt i already have again and again.
Best advice is have a fund ya can live with. Nothing worse than finding a 500lb H-B in mint cond for $400 And having only $200 in your stash. Some woun't take Co checks or CCs. Fortuanly I have most things I need or want. Anybody got a cheap air hammer or 250lb anvil?(no room but always looking)
Ken.

I believe the words you are looking for are "thrifty" or perhaps "frugal".
Being a tightwad I have had the opportunity to use these words on occasion.
The esteemed Mr Lincoln has been known to start screaming the moment I come through the door. ;)

As most people know Maine sees more than it`s share of visiting people during the summer months.Some of these people "from away" spend huge amounts of time pawing through yard sales and auction houses and buying things to haul back home to sell for profit.
Occasionally one of them will be attempting to bargain with the present owner and say something like "back in (their favorite haunt) we can get these for(ridiculously low price)".To which the local usually smiles and replies "Good thing you got a rental car then" and turns to help someone else.

What the summer crowd doesn`t know is that most of the stuff offered at the " barn sale" either came from the dump for free or from winter auctions when prices were far more realistic and the tag they are looking at is really 10 times what the "Frugal Yankee" bought it for at a February auction.
It`s not uncommon for a local to get an instant 75% off just by showing up and hailing the seller by name.
As an old friend used to say"Life`s a ball and we`re all here to dance".Some are just lighter on their feet and have a better sense of rhythm than others. B)

You can spend time or you can spend money. I think my average is still a great condition name brand anvil a year for under US$1 a pound; though the prices are creeping up---paid $1.33/# for my last anvil earlier this year; a beaut of a Peter Wright at about 110#; wanted another small anvil for my classes where I have to take the shop on the road. Lots easier to move a bunch of 100# anvils than 150 or higher!

But I'm always on the prowl, checking craigslist every day, talking to everyone. Following leads. (BTW asking folks at a fleamarket selling rusty barn junk about anvils left behind as they are too heavy to move is a great way to hunt down bargins and if they ask *you* to set a price start with US$1 a pound if it's in decent shape!

Also asking about anvils when you see a tool or two---picked up a MINT vulcan once cause the owner had brought the hardy to it to the fleamarket, I bought the hardy and then asked "where is the anvil it goes to?")

In general you don't expect to get a real steal on an anvil from other smiths; we know and love our anvils, (my wife says I have a "harem" of anvils for you venery fans). But if you have to have an anvil other smiths will usually deal fairly as we do know what the condition is and what it's worth on the *using* market. (Anvils as collectibles makes me shudder...)

Some folks brag about how much they spend on things; I've always bragged on how little. I don't hoard anvils, I've sold on a lot of anvils with only a small profit to cover my hunting costs and the only ones in my shop get used on a regular basis!

You can spend time or you can spend money.

Some folks brag about how much they spend on things; I've always bragged on how little. I don't hoard anvils, I've sold on a lot of anvils with only a small profit to cover my hunting costs and the only ones in my shop get used on a regular basis!

Right on! I'm always buying smith's tools on spec, but I don't hoard them either. Mostly I pass them on to my students, on the same basis you mention. One of the nice things about doing that is that I pass the anvil or whatever on at little or no markup, teach the student how to clean, restore and accessorize the thing, and collect tuition for it. The student learns how to make old tools live again, and gets their own tooling for mostly sweat equity. I get the tuition money and the joy of knowing I've saved another tool from the antique collectors.

Conrad Hodson

Well I have three anvils:

DSC09243.jpg

Top to bottom: ASO (anvil shaped object,) Trenton, Fisher.

The ASO I got as a trade for a dinner bell. So it cost me $12.00. The edges are perfect and the face is reasonably hard. I use it for rivet work and if I need an extremely sharp shoulder. The hardy and prichet holes were cut with a torch and are pretty useless. If I dressed the horn up it would be a useful piece. Not sure of weight but it is probably about 60 pounds.

DSC09249.jpg
DSC09250.jpg

The Trenton is "my love." It is my little baby! My first anvil. It is an 86 pounder and it is in decent condition. There is a little sway that is only noticable upon the closest inspection, The edges are well rounded all the way down, the step has use marks but is good, and the horn is good. All around still a great anvil and it worked for me as my only hunk of metal to bang on for four years. I gave a few cents over $2.00 per pound in winter 2004 I think!

DSC09247.jpg

DSC09248.jpg

The fisher is a 280 pounder. Down sides are the tip of the horn being torch cut off, a couple large chunks out of the edges, and one unusual nich straight down in the face. However, there is so much room on the face, these are not a great detriment. Pluses are, great rebound and alot of good edges without the ring of a church bell. I gave $1.79 per pound in 2010.

DSC09246.jpg

DSC09245.jpg

DSC09244.jpg

That's my .02!
My prices include travel expenses to pick these up!

• 2 months later...

New to the forum, from Hallowell, Maine. Got a 125# Anvil for free years ago. Garage got torn down, NO ONE wanted to pick it up sooo I did. Years later, I'm a competitive Strongman, Powerlifter and Olympic lifter = I carry big bulky things(stones, fire hydrants, anvils) for fun. Also bend nails(50 penny)with my hands. Just today bought a 222# anvil to run around outdoors in the snow. Paid 300$ after talking him down from 375$. It helped to tell him I didn't NEED the anvil. It was just a training tool. This site is fun. I didn't realize there were sooo many anvil brands and sizes. Until I got on this forum, I thought a 222lb anvil was(ha,ha) huge!! I suppose if you're carrying it a competition distance(50 ft.), it is!!

I thought a 222lb anvil was(ha,ha) huge!! I suppose if you're carrying it a competition distance(50 ft.), it is!!

That's funny, when I got my 169# Hay-Budden (about $2.25/#) I moved it from Dad's van to my truck and it didn't seem too heavy, but by the time I carried it 200 ft from the top of the driveway to my shop I thought my shoulders were separating. Any other trips with it have involved driving the truck into the yard.

Don

That's funny, when I got my 169# Hay-Budden (about $2.25/#) I moved it from Dad's van to my truck and it didn't seem too heavy, but by the time I carried it 200 ft from the top of the driveway to my shop I thought my shoulders were separating. Any other trips with it have involved driving the truck into the yard.

Don

That's what hand carts are for.... or even a wheelbarrow

That's what hand carts are for.... or even a wheelbarrow

Agreed, tried that once too but holes in the yard + steel wheeled wheelbarrow = picking 169# anvil up off the ground. Good thing is...It doesn't travel very often. It certainly won't be hand carried from the driveway to the shop again ;)

Don

Dodge, thats a beautiful piece of work. Must have taken many hours of grinding.

It might be good to include the location where the anvil was purchased since availability and price varies widely with location.

PW 97# $220 in NM USA Seriously used cond.
HB 355# #850 in KY USA Significant mfr defects and heavily swaybacked.
HB 120# #180 in NM USA major torch damage on the horn and cutting table.

I have 2 anvils, both bought in GA. My first is a Peter Wright 83 lbs. my second is a Hill that is 155 lbs. Both are in nice shape with a couple of dings but very good for the age of the anvils. I purchased the PW in 2009 and the Hill 2010.

You may want to start a new thread about the hill. Include a few pictures, especialy of the top-plate.

The true prices of anvils are what you can pay or what you can get. Sometimes good or not-so-good pics or a cleaned-up anvil help one side or the other a lot. This 100lb PW looks like the edges are chipped away and half the table is gone. In person there are only a few minor chips and the table is nice but with a tiny bit of saddle. Cost me $1.50/lb, down from what the seller wantd. But I bet the pic turned some folks off without making a phone call.

post-12484-0-11771600-1292685053_thumb.j

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Peter Wright Double horn 250 lb. Excellent condition $600 + $50 shipping

Nothstar 280 lb. Traded for a Gammo Air rifle valued at $270 and a custom forged knife that I still have to make on the Northstar.

Hay Budden 250 lb. Excellent condition, $400 + $50 shipping

Hay Budden 130 lb. Excellent condition $200

Fisher Norris 58 lb. Rough surface but all other excellent. It is my bench anvil that I use a lot so I filed the face, It took some time but it came out awesome. Used a hand file. paid $170 + $50 shipping

Fisher Norris 19 lb. $150 + $70 shipping. Should be here any day.

I live in Hawaii, specifically Maui. In the early 1900's till 1990's the sugar mills that processed cane were quite prominent as agriculture was the main business here. When the Clean Water Act cam into effect in the early 70's, some of the mills shut down. With it the anvils, from what I have gathered, were taken by the employees. I have seen a few pop up on Craigslist now and then. All of them are in the #250lb range. Also, cowboys were quite common among the upcountry people, mainly the Portuguese, and I have located a few anvils that the owners will not part with. All seem to be in the #250 lb. range also. I got the Northstar from my sons friend. My son saw it under a mango tree at his friends house and asked them if he could have it. They said sure. He loaded it up in his Nissan mini truck and surprised me with it. It wasn't tied down solid so it slid on the bed and dented the tailgate bad. I wasn't bothered by that at all, because the Northstar was gorgeous. I made a wrought iron tailgate for him.

Anyway, I'm still looking for more anvils. It is an incurable disease.

Actually I often use a couple at the same time using the best features of each for the task step that makes use of it---so when making a fork I may draw out a handle on the wide horn of the 515# Fisher and use the thin heel of my 93# A&H to work the tines.

And when I teach a class I try to have no more than 2 people per anvil and so may use 4 or 5 at the same time.