I Forge Iron

True prices for anvils.

last anvil I bought was about 140 lbs came into my shop wasnt looking for one so told the guy i could only afford to pay 100 dollars for it ...was unmarked and not to bad of shape sold it within a week for double my money to a guy who had his anvil stolen this was a couple of months ago.... anvil before that was a 100 lb anvil I bought at a aaba gettogether for 130. along with a swage block for 75.that was about 4 years ago...best deal my fisher 200 lb main anvil got it out of the budwizer hidroplane shop paid 100. for it ... that was about 20 years ago ...

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've owned 9 or 10 anvils over the years but have only kept my first one, a 250 lb Peter Wright...and a 100 lb Hay Budden I bought for a portable rig. I traded an old Winchester that was worth about $125 at the time for the PW, which was around 1984. The Hay Budden was purchased about 1993 and I paid $140 for it. However, the PW needed a great deal of work to make it usable and the Hay Budden needed nothing so there was some disparity in initial condition.

172# unknown havent found any markings(put it straight to use) edges are a bit beat up and has a bit of dish to it but for my first anvil 40$ and half an 30 miles worth of diesel from craigslist. I was thinkin about takin some navaljelly to the sides of it but im not sure.... Anvil # 2 comin soon from my step brothers basement, unknown size (other than 1 man can carry it) unknown condition, but the price is right if it ever gets here...

Anvil_stand_13.jpganvil_stand_41.jpg

~120# Peter Wright, $250.

Condition is not great, but more than good enough. I was pleased to be able to discern the brand as I bought it as an "antique" anvil. I assumed that I'd overpaid, being in a spendy part of the country, but it looks like I was in the ballpark.

As an aside, the guy I bought it from had something like ten clawfoot tubs in use as planters and 15-20 airstream trailers. Frankly, that alone would be worth a premium.

• 2 weeks later...

My first:
PW 177# : $250.00 very nice, beautiful long horn (still wish I had it)
The rest that I can remember:
PW 248# : $375.00 flat with no saddle, short horn though, sold it with the cut-off hardie
PW 125# : $225.00 about a 7/10
PW 148# : $90.00 very poor, wasn't worth the fuel to get it
Ajax 90# : $150.00 very nice, still have it
Trenton 150# : 275.00 very nice, ended up selling it for $300.00 (at least I got some of my fuel back out of this deal
Unkown london pattern solid wrought 112# : $75.00 - then some lady walked over and offered me $150.00 - it now sits painted bright blue in her flower garden (rather ignoble place for an anvil)
About ten or so more that I can recall. These days I haven't heard of anything going for less than $1.00/# for poor all the way up to $3.50/# for excellent condition
Refflinghaus 440# (new, see pic) : I won't tell, you may cry

• 3 weeks later...

Smith Steel Castings 70# Farrier - $120 in 2001
Russian Sub 110# $70 in 2001
167# Old World German Pattern -$340 in 2003
100# TFS Blacksmith Model $550 in 2008
All anvils were bought new except the Farrier which was not new but never used. I currently own only the Old World and the TFS anvils, both of which are excellent tools.

A.S.O. 50lbs. (very first anvil over ten years ago) $50.00
Paragon 155lbs. $150.00
Unkown 500lbs. $295.00, $205.00 to ship (ouch)
Peter Wright 96lbs. $150.00
Peter Wright 156lbs. $250.00
English Coachmaker's 157lbs. $125.00
Hay budden 146lbs. $267.00
Wilkinson 166lbs. $40.00 (missing heel, long civil war story)
Unknown 30lbs. $20.00
Railroad anvil nicely made $free

89 kg.- 1 3/4 CW- New- April 2008 $350- Finally a true story of the gem "Been in back room here through at least two long time former owners of this hardware store." City of Big Shoulders, Illinois- Endless thanks to a Madman Serb fellow toolmaker and monger in the woodworking trades.jet

• 2 weeks later...

Peter Wright
95 lbs.
excellent condition

Bought it Fall 2000 for $400, price included a forge and Champion blower. Sold Fall 2004 for $150 due to divorce. Repurchased two days ago for $200 as the first step in rebuilding my forge and workshop! Whoo-hoo!

I guess anvils and bad pennies always come back....

• 2 weeks later...

89 lb Peter Wright, $125.00, 2 yrs ago. 125 lb. farriers anvil, $125.00, 3 yrs ago. 150 lb Trenton, $350.00, last weekend. Farriers anvil like new, Trenton and PW good useable shape. All in the Pacific northwest.