I Forge Iron

True prices for anvils.

I bought an older Brooks anvil last year;
100 lbs
Very good condition (clean flat face, good edges)
$2 (Canadian) per pound.
Southern Ontario, in 2011

Recently purchased a Peter Wright
250 Lbs
Fair-Good condition (fairly flat face, edges worn in places, but a section of edge that's good, very clean horn).
Paid $3 (Canadian) per pound.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why I wrote the thread on comparative anvils.............different anvils are better for different tasks, because of differences between them.

I think this analogy sums it up best. If I want to drive cross country, I would drive a COOPER, because of the gas mileage. If I want to transport a five ton triphammer, I drive a flatbed truck with a big deisel engine.

Coopers get lousy mileage but I understand the analogy. You are simply trying to justify your desire to collect anvils, which is perfectly fine - no harm in collecting for the joy of it - and you have previously stated that you've put anvils in the hands of newbies wanting to learn the craft; kudos to you for that effort. However, nobody "needs" more than one anvil...unless...they demo and want a portable one so the big shop anvil stays put; or they have multiple workers in a shop; or as Thomas mentioned, they teach multiple students simultaneously. I demonstrated for several years and had a 100 lb Haybudden so had to make a complete set of tools to use while away from the shop - but when I stopped demoing, I sold it along with the tools and never looked back. Multiple anvils mean redundant sets of hardy tools - the anvils I have owned in the past and all of their hardies were unique, even those that were supposed to be the same size. There isn't that much advantage to owning multiple anvils that can't be accomplished with one that is tooled properly.

On the other hand, I think a variety of forge sizes - especially gas - can be expedient to many shops. I'm sure someone will disagree with me on that opinion but such is life...

most of the iron in my shop has inch and a quarter hardy holes, so your redundant anvil tooling argument is specious. Forging the handle part of a door latch requires a narrow anvil for drawing out the handle. That 700 lb behemoth of mine would be clumsy for that sort of work,whereas my 150 lb trenton, with the narrow face, is perfect for that job. Because I do this for a living, I like using tools that easily accommodate the work I do.

Every 1-1/4 anvil I've seen (or any other size) had some tolerance difference from one to the next so you would have to tool for the smallest hole and hope it fit the rest (which probably would work). I do this for a living, too - with one anvil. You will never convince me you need six anvils in a one man shop - so let's just agree to disagree and let it go at that...

let it go???????? I forge inch and a quarter shanked hot cut hardies out of three and one half inch round 1080 steel. To get tight shoulders on the shanks, I put them, hot, into the hardy hole on my big fisher, in order to tight-shoulder the shanks by hammering them with a 20 pound sledgehammer. I would NEVER do this with my big hay budden, for fear of damaging the heel, whereas the heel on my fisher is way thicker, and could sustain way harder blows than the bigger hay budden. Convinced now?
Oh, and one more thing....I have 8 that I use, not six. Plus two nice ones for sale......

Nope, not convinced - and claiming 8 over 6 doesn't surprise me at all in view of what you've written to date...

I have 10 anvils I use 4 of them regularly. I have a 400 lb HB main shop anvil a 172 peter wright I use for finer work it has a slender horn and narrow face. I have a destroyed Trenton I use for texturing. I also have a 95 lb block anvil that is polished that I use for bench work and repousse. They all get used on a regular basis.

I have 10 anvils I use 4 of them regularly. I have a 400 lb HB main shop anvil a 172 peter wright I use for finer work it has a slender horn and narrow face. I have a destroyed Trenton I use for texturing. I also have a 95 lb block anvil that is polished that I use for bench work and repousse. They all get used on a regular basis.

Good info, Tim. You have four that are used regularly for different types of work - I can certainly accept that without question. However, it also would suggest the other six are redundant. It makes absolutely no difference to me how many anvils someone owns but I do believe some smiths are collectors at heart.

There used to be a big shop up the road a ways that employed 4 guys full time and a couple more part time. They put out a lot of high quality forged work, some of it was pretty large and ornate stuff. Last time I visited, they had three 400 lb anvils - all the same make and pattern.

As I said in the other thread, it seems there are more anvils in the Northeast - consider yourselves lucky...

I agree with Stewartthesmith. Using different anvils, i.e. tools, for specific work is what being a professional is all about. I think a blacksmith who chooses to utilize one anvil with many different tools for that anvil can accomplish the same. You two approach this trade differently, and are both right. To each his own. One anvil? Nah, I'll keep all of mine and use each one of them for the unique qualities they have to make my knives, fabricate parts, etc........

I agree with Stewartthesmith. Using different anvils, i.e. tools, for specific work is what being a professional is all about. I think a blacksmith who chooses to utilize one anvil with many different tools for that anvil can accomplish the same. You two approach this trade differently, and are both right. To each his own. One anvil? Nah, I'll keep all of mine and use each one of them for the unique qualities they have to make my knives, fabricate parts, etc........

Hi John - I suspect you agree with Stewart because you already have several anvils - but that's OK, since in the end I believe it is simply an issue of convenience and availability. If you have more than one and want to set them up for different work then that's great. I have two lathes in the shop - one large and one small so I'm likely guilty under my own rules (although I keep the smaller one primarily because it is set up for collet work).

I have owned about 15 anvils over the last thirty years but always came to the conclusion they were just in my way and not being utilized so I kept my very first one and put the rest into the hands of other smiths. At heart, I tend to be a minimalist and want one high quality tool to perform the work at hand. What is getting under my skin in these anvil threads is that a newbie might conceivably read through some of them and conclude he/she needs half a dozen anvils to do a variety of work - and that is simply not true. At this point, I think the dialogue between all of us has provided enough viewpoints that someone can make up their own mind.

I'm done with this thread now; y'all have fun...

400 lb Hay-budden $680 main shop anvil bought 2012
280 2 horn Fisher not used part of my collection will soon be going to NJanvilman cost hard to say bought as part of a lot bought 2009
250 Peter Wright used at second forging station paid about $300 bought 2012
222 Hay budden up till recently was in dally use now in storage traded for a 100 lb columbian 3 pairs of forged tongs a flatter and a cut off hardy. Aquired 2009
178 Peter wright used by my helper mainly for bronze work Paid $280 bought 2000
175 mousehole this is a very old late colonal style anvil beat down not really a user part of my collection $175 bought 2008
160 German Trenton swaybacked edges chiped and rough use as a texturing anvil. Paid about $150 bought 2012
150 Dunn and murcott made in Brooklyn NY this is part of my collection I do not use it it is a very uncommon make. Paid $500 bought 2010.
125 Mousehole hornless part of my collection paid 125 bought 2012
106 German Trenton part of my collection traded for bar shear aquired 2011
102 Hay budden demo anvil also used by my other helper aquired 2000 paid $115
95 Unknown cast iron steel faced block anvil highly polished used for fine work Paid 35 bucks as scrap aquired 2009
70 Samson brand anvil only one of two known as far as I know. Paid? part of a large lot it was thrown in "to boot"

Im proud to say I collect and use anvils.

I used to have 3 anvils in the shop, 500 columbian...sold $1300......100lb PW......sold $480 w stand.......And the one I went to 98% of the time anyway a 165 Peddinghaus dbl horn.....bought new for $350 At ML Foss in Denver (now defunct) in 1974......I just got tired of walking around 3 anvils, esp the 500. :D

I didn't just fall off the turnip wagon Stu, It's called downsizing. When I had the pleasure of having 2 employees it was a made allot more sense.... :)

I laughed so hard I almost fell off my 300 lb. anvil i use as a stool, of course, I padded it. I haven't heard that fell off the turnip wagon saying for years. Thanks.

When I lived in Ohio, the blacksmith's happy hunting ground, I once threatened to build a fence composed of postvises stuck into anvil hardy holes with the vises holding 6' rods to space them around the yard.

I have a self imposed limit on most smithing stuff and if I get another one over that I'll pass one on to someone who doesn't enjoy the hunt as much as I do but still could use the items.

Small but large enough to really use anvils tend to go at a premium. Depending on the features and the condition US$2-3 a pound would be the range I would advise someone to pay and in your area I would advise them to be looking at the lower end of the range unless the condition was *mint*.

Something someone said on another thread got me curious about average NEW anvil prices in the USA. I did a bunch of googling last night and an unscientific survey of prices on various retail websites yielded between $5 and $8 per pound. I guessed at and included between $200 to $500 in shipping depending on size. Looked at Nimba, Fontanini, TFS, Old World, Refflinghaus, Peddinghaus, and one or two others that I'm forgetting right now. TFS was on the lower end, Refflinghaus on the upper. Draw your own conclusions about quality, the only new anvil I've ever used is my Fontanini and it's GREAT!