I Forge Iron

Requiem to a blacksmith

This is a strange mourning – for a blacksmith who died, yet the man is still breathing.

A year ago, a friend offered me to partner in building a hobby smithy in his farm yard. Thus, a dream and fantasy of  50  years was realised.

This past year I discovered a great new passion, and actualy saw an exciting new path for the rest of my life – family, job and blacksmithing. It's way more than a hobby: It's a craft, a source of amusment and education for all (especially kids)  and a belonging to a community. A great spice for life.

Now that friend decided to break the partnership (the smithy is on his property), and the door to blacksmithing was slammed in my face. Just like that. The blacksmith within died in my arms in the course of a phone call.

This is not a post about searching for alternatives. I know MY options, and short of a miracle, I will not swing a hammer in this life time. Just wanted to share my pain with people who will understand the loss.

You know the situation best, and if you think you have to drop it, that is your call. Tough decision to make. Just remember that If you ever change your mind, there are always people willing to help. My little podunk town is hardly a destination point for an overseas traveler, put if you ever come by, my shop is always open to other smiths.

Shalom my brother 

Your post leads me to believe that the fire has not been put out, but is still burning. Your dream and fantasy of 50  years is still alive, just forced to take a different path. 

Tools are just things, No one can take your knowledge and desire away from you. Opportunity will present itself, but you must recognize it and be receptive.  Look for the reason to build your own work area, no matter how small. Acquire the core tools you need as they become available, anvil type object, forge, tongs. Dedicate time to research and learn.

Keep your head up, square your shoulders, and walk toward tomorrow. 

5 hours ago, lyuv said:

Just wanted to share my pain with people who will understand the loss

I understand your loss and pain. I started in the craft under the tutelage of a master blacksmith Isaac Doss in 1984, when I was a rookie police officer. In late 89 or early 90 Ike was hit by a car while walking from his home to his shop and I was the officer who had to work the accident. Ike never recovered from his injuries and passed away in 91.

For the next 10-15 years my sadness was so overwhelming, I was unable to light my forge or pick up my hammer.

Then something inside clicked and the passion returned, It was like Ike saying, time to get back to work. Since starting back up everything I do in the forge is to honor him.

5a64fd0a060f0_IkeDoss.thumb.jpg.78e7a7363b70b6f73fed3741383eeb0c.jpg

As great an opportunity as that was and as devastating as its loss is, it is not the only road to smithing. It never was. 

Whatever this person’s reasons were for breaking this off, you are still free to pursue your passion for this craft in whatever way works for you. Don’t give someone else the power to destroy your dream. 

When you’re ready, we’re here to help. 

Iyuv: It stinks when this kind of thing happens but it's not the death of anything calling it a requiem is a little over dramatic don't you think? The way you write is pretty flowery and sometimes pretty darned dramatic and the blacksmith's craft is pragmatic and often phlegmatic.

I can only go by what you've said but he just wants a "hobby" shop. Yes? He offered you room in HIS HOBBY operation and there you are making plans for HIS dreams that maybe didn't mesh?

7 hours ago, lyuv said:

This past year I discovered a great new passion, and actualy saw an exciting new path for the rest of my life – family, job and blacksmithing. It's way more than a hobby: It's a craft, a source of amusment and education for all (especially kids)  and a belonging to a community. A great spice for life.

How would you react to someone you offered something, oh say room to park his car and next thing you know he's setting up an auto repair shop?

Your dream is only dead if YOU let it die and if this is all it takes find something you REALLY want to do instead. Start setting yourself up and cool your jets. He still wants someone to work with in his shop but it's a HOBBY and you're a GUEST. Give him some time, show him you're not quitting and let him define his shop, I'll bet he invites you back.

Ask him to come over to YOUR shop, tell him you need a hand or ask if he'll show you something. The craft is addictive and makes you WANT mates to share it all with but we definitely don't want someone else running our show.

Frosty The Lucky.

Just be glad your ''friend '' showed you where he was at before you had invested any more in the venture.   There's no real reason you can't follow your dream of being a blacksmith yourself or need anyone else's permission to explore your passion.  This craft is  plenty hard enough as it is without letting someone else stand in the way with their xxxxxxxx   The choice is up to you whether to cut the drama and get to work ..or not.

editing foul language and useless spacing

Sadly betrayal often falls into our life. It is both a shock and a great sadness. The majority of us that have been disappointed eventually moved on in our lives.  One set up is not the only arrangement available. You are very interested in the craft and one rotten incident should not derail that interest.  You know Mr. Uri Hofi, (you have written that you studied with him in the past). Perhaps he and/or some of his other students can make suggestions or even help you.  Hang in there. Now is not the time to make indelible decisions.   Your erstwhile "partner" is not your blacksmithing community. I. F.I is your community and some of the smiths you know are potentially another community.

Hang in there. 

SLAG.

On 1/21/2018 at 5:43 PM, Frosty said:

I can only go by what you've said but he just wants a "hobby" shop. Yes? He offered you room in HIS HOBBY operation and there you are making plans for HIS dreams that maybe didn't mesh?

How would you react to someone you offered something, oh say room to park his car and next thing you know he's setting up an auto repair shop?

My guess is that you nailed it Frosty. I had a situation like this as the shop owner. In my case the other party will never be invited back.