I Forge Iron

Forum Rule? Press?

Sanderson Iron

I don't know if this is where to ask this, but this morning I started a thread in the Press area showing an OBI for sale on Ebay, and now it seems to be either moved or removed.  Is there a rule I don't know about that we're not supposed to give links to for-sale ads?  I hope I didn't do something bad. :)  Or is there somewhere on this site for that purpose that I haven't found?  Just curious.  I hope it isn't an OBI bias.  That would make people here pressist.  Ha ha!    

Joel

As eBay doesn't give IFI a dime for using its bandwidth to sell its products, direct links are not allowed. Glen dose allow links to comertial sites for informational perposes. But eBay and Craig's list links will be delegated. If you repost, and insted of linking describe the item and the search peramiters you will be golden. If it's yours, and for sale, post it in the trades and sales section. 

First time they general let it fly, but after that the hot tongs come out! Lol

See Glen's second post in this post, Rules For Tailgating https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/160-read-this-before-posting-the-rules-for-tailgating/

Not allowing posts to equipment for sale that could be very beneficial to other blacksmith just because IFI does not benefit from it monetarily - perhaps its one reason why a lot of users have migrated from IFI to Facebook and Instagram.

If you want to help someone get this press perhaps you should post it on Facebook instead.

I don't know anyone who has left here for facebook and would not worry about running out of smart people posting here!  

Not allowing your private site to be used commercially by others is pretty much a world wide thing.  Just as I would not allow others to sell used cars from my house's lot without permission. Even if it would help others.

Geeeeez, Thomas.  Be gentle, man.  We get it.  Not everyone spends enough time on this site to rack up thirty-thousand posts and know all the intricate bi-laws.  It does make sense though.  Thanks fellas. (Including Thomas) I apologize to whoever it is I need to for that mistake.  Sorry, dude-in-charge.  

So...  There is an OBI press for sale on Fleabay for $200 in Connecticut. (Sound better?? ;) )  I guess I'll leave you to search for yourselves.  Look up "Vintage Press" and you should find it.  I have nothing to do with the sale or know who's selling it.  I'm just trying to help out a blacksmith in that neighborhood.  

I've been tempted to start a thread about these machines, but there seems to be quite a prejudice against them; and I'm not sure it's worth the energy.  But I will say here, a toggle press ("punch" press, "OBI" etc) is every bit as useful to a blacksmith as a power hammer.  In fact, it can do things with ease that a hammer struggles with.  (And visa versa, of course.)  I can't think of anything a hammer can do that a press cannot.  There is a reason why presses replaced hammers in industry, and we shouldn't ignore that and let them be thrown to scrap and miss their contribution to our craft.  

1 hour ago, kubiack said:

See Glen's second post in this post, Rules For Tailgating https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/160-read-this-before-posting-the-rules-for-tailgating/

Not allowing posts to equipment for sale that could be very beneficial to other blacksmith just because IFI does not benefit from it monetarily - perhaps its one reason why a lot of users have migrated from IFI to Facebook and Instagram.

If you want to help someone get this press perhaps you should post it on Facebook instead.

I dont see your name on any of the donation lists for this site.   I do notice that you are being very generous with other peoples money.  This is Glenns house, his rules.

I took your ebay post off line shortly after it was posted. As stated IForgeIron gets no benefit from the listing either from the seller making a sell or the buyer making a great deal, not a check for the mail, not a  percent of the profit or savings, and not even a thank you. We still pay the IForgeIron bills, bandwidth fees, license fees, and the list goes on and on, and each month brings another set of fees that need paid.

Please start an informative thread about the machines so we can all learn.

Tomas is grumpy because "leaving for (insert sight full of fools)" has been a reacting tread among trolls. We have even had one go so far as to try and sue after he slandered Glenn all over the net. Didn't end well for him. It's simple, IFI is rules light, and peer reviewed buy real smiths, machinists, welders, press operators  etc. it's also often reviewed buy experts in related fields, such as electricians, contractors, engineers, metallurgists, lawyers and even rocket scientists. If you want questionable information by flakes, their is a whole World Wide Web to go to. 

As to press information, most of us aren't privy to them, so some one with the knowledge how to safely convert (we have all herd of accidents were the dies got out of alignment and a punch press exploded when it dead headed befor reaching full stroke) and use them for blacksmithing. Many smiths here use home brew or professional fabricated presses (Iron Dwarf comes to mind). I say step up and educate the ignorant masses. I know we're one sits idle in a farm shop! Sounds like you will have a few knowledgeable fellows to keep you honest!

As to the # of posts TP has wracked up, I suspect it's from one, bordum. He heard bits for a living these days and I am sure spends a lot of time waiting for @&$!! To compile, download etc. second, if you read a few thousand of his posts you will also see a willingness to share his knowledge and extensive reserch library. Not to mention placing a firm boot it ones butt to get you to think, reserch, learn and experiment. 

SLAG here,

I suspect that Mr. Glenn is shy.

He pays most of the costs to keep this site running & not fading into oblivion.

I strongly urge members to consider sending a donation if you value the site, and have gotten good information & amusement here.

Please note, I have no monetary interest in making this post.

(HAH! most of my income is derived from the proceedings of past crimes!)

Regards,

SLAG.

OBI is an Open Back Inclined press. 

The OBI press was originally designed to allow parts to fall out of the press by gravity. Once compressed air to blow parts out of the press became available, the need to incline went away.

Bliss-OBI-Punch-Press-75-Ton-x-36-034-x-24-034-3645

75 ton press

Image result for obi-punch-press

60 ton press

The presses are designed to stroke on at predetermined rate and can produce a large quantity of cycles in a short period of time. They are unforgiving to body parts.

53 minutes ago, Steve Sells said:

I dont see your name on any of the donation lists for this site.   I do notice that you are being very generous with other peoples money.  This is Glenns house, his rules.

Hum, I see advertising here on the IFI site. Unless I have missed the point of advertising, I was under the impression that advertisers pay to put their ads here. The more viewers, content, and traffic a site has the more they pay. In turn, the more content I add to the site and the more times I view the site the more value I add to it, both of which I have done. So how exactly have I been generous with other people’s money? It seems to me like I have added to this sight instead of being a drain on it as you imply.

Joel,

I'd certainly ready anything you would care to post about using a OBI or toggle press in blacksmithing applications. I did enjoy seeing what you posted for making the flower and other dies.

Mr Kubiak,

My next door neighbors presume the privilege of using my dumpster at no cost, even though I have offered to share it for a fair price.

It is annoying to have had to chain and lock the thing, and even more so when I am 'negligent', and must be so cruel and mean-spirited by extracting their trash and repatriating it to their driveway.

I suppose my unreasonable attitude toward the use of my property makes me a bad man.

But may I suggest taking this issue up with the Owner?

Robert Taylor

P.S., it is the Glenn's prerogative to operate his property as he sees fit.

Edited by Anachronist58
addendum

And that's the point, their is some advertising to suport the hosting fees, and they indead pay. But craigslist and e bay do not. We have members who are buisness owners and have asked Glenn permition to promote their buisness. And of corse he allows us to freely use the swap meet section for privat sales of materials and equipment. 

Now Steve has also weathered many a troll war, and he may lack in some social graces. He will always tell you what he persevere as the truth. But he will also literally give you the shirt off his back, invite you in for dinner or spend 3 hours trying to get the finer points of forging a complicated pastern with uncooperative aloys. 

Some times you newer members, trying to find your place on Genn's front porch will step on one of he other members toes, or heaven forbid deride to urinate in Mrs. Conners flower boxes after one to many adult beverages and you will catch fire. We all have. We all are guests and Glenn is a fair and gracious host, he gives chance after chance before he gives some one the boot. 

Some times after the repeated campaigns against the  trolls, we are to fast on the draw.

Charles first off if you will check I joined this site before you did, you are mistaken by calling me a new member trying to find my place. I have contributed several worthwhile threads over the years with content that I believe will be of help to someone. In addition, through this site I have also helped several new member in my area find other smiths and equipment.

What part was acting like a newbie? First, I linked to where the rule the OP was asking about can be found. Second, I expressed my observations and a different point of view, which were fresh on my mind after seeing the original post and then this one. Third, I made a suggestion as to where he could post it with a link. I never made any demands that Glen make any changes. I have read my post again several times and still don’t see it as trolling.

Do you need evidence? As long as you have been here and as active as you are you either don’t use social media or are being obtuse. You can see my post as trolling if you like but I see it as one more reason people will chose to use an outlet besides IFI.

Gentlemen, exhale and take a step back, if you please, as we have made our points, and futher engagement will not be productive.

See the rules concerning personal attacks and 'fussing'.

Who will take the initiative to stand down?

Robert Taylor

Guys guys guys!  You all gave good reasons for why my original thread was removed, and I have absolutely no problem with that.  I don't think anybody should be bickering here (well, unless it's with Thomas :) ).  Certainly not on my account.  If Glenn wants to do things his way, let him.  Everyone has to set parameters or he's nothing.  

I would like to add, though, about this "newbie" talk: that is a silly term, because someone with ten posts online might be a person with forty years' forging behind them; and someone with 20,000 posts might never have forged so much as a ladle for his soup cup.  So be careful who you call newbie, and respect everyone.  I don't live in a world where a blacksmith's respect is derived from how many posts he's made with his computer, and I don't think you do either.  

4 hours ago, Glenn said:

Please start an informative thread about the machines so we can all learn.

I think I'll do that in another thread if I do at all, Glenn.  (Are you THE Glenn??  Wow.)  This has turned into a rule lesson, which has its own value.  Besides, I'll need to take pictures and put things together rather than just spout words without support.  Sounds like an article though.  Well, we'll see.  Oh and, thanks for paying the bills.  

5 minutes ago, Sanderson Iron said:

Guys guys guys!

I once had an opportunity to pick up a free  Kenco (not an OBI, but with that lovely flywheel-stored energy!), but was too ill to collect it at the time it was available.

Would love to see a thread on same, to either assuage my loss or aggravate my sorrow over same (a bit of both, I am certain).

Robert Taylor