I Forge Iron

Bos Taurus Blades

JPH

Hello:

Something I whipped out yesterday and today... A pair of Bovine Ivory gripped blades.. both blades are in my "Solar Storm"Pattern" and welded from 1905 and L-6 steels

The first is a rather NASTY and wicked looking  "Bowie" with a 12"  blade... 1 3/4" wide with a 1/2 blade length fuller on each side.. Blackened  "Bovine Ivory" grip and silver fittings and studs...Very fast and responsive this one...

The other is a "Boz Taurus" hunting dagger with a 12"  double edged blade, 1 3/4" wide with a single full blade  length fuller on each side... Phosphor bronze mounts and studs on some my  "fossil Boz Taurus" ivory grip... Impressive blade...quite stout but it still "dances in you hand" and is quite a "powerful" feeling piece...

So that's pretty much what I did this weekend... I hope these photos come out OK...

JPH

DSC04408A.jpg

DSC04409A.jpg

DSC04411A.jpg

DSC04415A.jpg

DSC04420A.jpg

DSC04421A.jpg

Lovely work, as always. Thanks for sharing the inspiration/intimidation!

If it's not too much to ask, could you share with us some ideas on how you produce the bovine ivory? I'm assuming you start with a cow bone, but where does it go from there?

Lovely work, as always. Thanks for sharing the inspiration/intimidation!

If it's not too much to ask, could you share with us some ideas on how you produce the bovine ivory? I'm assuming you start with a cow bone, but where does it go from there?

Addendum: I see from this comment that you've recommended boiling in trisodium phosphate (TSP) for an hour to remove any fat, flesh, etc and then sanding smooth (I think I also remember @ThomasPowers recommending polishing with wood ash and a woolen cloth). Is that about right?