I Forge Iron

One power tool, one hammer, and one pair of tongs, what would it be?

Ok, instead of going outside and dying of heatstroke from the combined heat of the sun and forge (it's also really humid and buggy). I decided to come up with a fun but useful article. Ok I have to ask you if you only had one power tool, one hammer, and one pair of tongs what would you have in your shop?

I ask this for all the beginners out there that are starting out with limited resources or don't know where to start (I myself included). Also I thought it would be fun to see the differences between people. 

Let the responses roll in!

The concept is foreign to me. only one? :o

After the little bit of experience I have gained it would be my 4 1/2" angle grinder, 3lb. diagonal pein hammer and my 1/2" bolt tongs. ( ya know, tongs Can be re shaped to what you Need them to be to an extent.) 

I was actually quoted for a "Smithing Pearls & Gems" with this "Use what you have, to make what you need, till your find what you want." That being said, there is so much that can be done with a 4.5" angle grinder, a ball pein and any pair of decent pliers. so long as you can get the material in and out of the fire and hold onto it while hitting it. 

but after a bit of experience, My list is as follows. 

7" Grinder, 3 lbs Cross pein, and wolf Jaw tongs. 

The 7" moves a lot more material, and can cut through larger stock than a 4.5" grinder. 

Well if you only have one power tool one hammer and one tong, you wouldn't be doing much forging at all, but conceding you mean besides your forge and anvil (and drill press and welder and expresso coffee machine) I go for 5" grinder 3 lbs Cross peen, and wolf Jaw tongs. 

By the by ... I notice most say 4.5" grinder. Is that the common size in the US? We do have 4.5" grinders here but they are more the DIY choice. The 7" (grinder) is hard to find. then there is the widow maker at 9" :)

3.5 rounding hammer, angle grinder, 1/2" bolt jaw tongs.

Littleblacksmith

Here is it in visual. 3lb because it is my go to usually. ( good inbetween for me)  1/2" bolt tongs (because I use them often and could modify them if I needed), and 4 1/2" grinder because of many reasons in versatility of use. ( I can find many different wheels for on it to accomplish my many needs) 

that is just for your theoretical question. :) I'm a tool junky. 

image.jpg

I would have chosen V-bit jaws on the bolt jaw tong, just because that way they can hold more than the round jaws can. I'm surprised you even allow rebar in your shop besides the rebar in the concrete floor.:huh:

Littleblacksmith

Good point on the tongs LBS. I was going with what I have so far and use  don't let the rust fool ya  

I do scrap metal art and yeah that's a recent stack free from a friend. It has its uses. Especially when it's free. ;) 

One hammer = 12 lbs sledge, one tong = hammer/pickup tongs, power tool either a good bandsaw to cut the first few chunks of steel, or belt sander to clean up the faces edges of the tools I'd be making to get myself going. Note a good angle grinder would fulfill the first few cuts and conceivably with a different disk perform the clean up. Start making tools for tooling as per Brian Brazeal, with a hot cut hardy, hand hammer, combo punch/hammer eye drift being the first tools made.

19 hours ago, Kaleb said:

Ok, instead of going outside and dying of heatstroke from the combined heat of the sun and forge (it's also really humid and buggy).

I will say, that the last few weeks I have been forging. last year at this time of year I didn't, but this year I have a fan. Fans make a big difference! also of course a lot of water. It makes it bearable.

Littleblacksmith

5 hours ago, JHCC said:

I inherited a big stand fan when we cleaned out my mother-in-law's apartment last year. Makes a BIG difference!

I have one like the one you described. yes, It makes a *HUGE* difference!! and sometimes I'll even put a pan of water in front of it when it's real hot.

Littleblacksmith