I Forge Iron

A simple side blast forge

Glenn

2 hours ago, blacksmith-450 said:

Pour une fois que je peux écrire dans ma langue !

Je parle un peu francais, mais pas le francais canadien. 

The little my French teacher taught me but I can still deny a French-Canadian, I think?

Edited by Kaleb

10 hours ago, Daswulf said:

the few other french terms I remember arnt good so I'll leave them in the gutter lol.

Why is it that most people seem to pick up the French bad words faster than the rest of the language? :P

Of course, that doesn't seem to be unique to French, so it may simply be human nature at work.

17 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

I love it.. Betcha it works great.. :) 

It works great.  The air tank could just be lined with clay and a "V" trench built but I get more depth with the bricks as you can see they extend a bit higher than the sides of the tank, which would be the limit of clay. 

I'm learning each time better how to manage the fire, keeping a fireball localized and conserving charcoal.  I pile charcoal around and to the sides slowly pushing that into the hot spot as needed.  Still it's a hungry little devil and you can burn a 5 gallon bucket of charcoal in just a couple hours.  I'd like to try it with coal.

As Frosty noted, I could have just let it be a side blast instead of having the long pipe across the bottom.  Didn't know that at the time I originally built this.:rolleyes:  It WAS inspired by the Whitlox and thus, the long pipe at the bottom.  Removing that long pipe and replacing with a 1" side blast would give me about 2" more depth.  As it is I'll leave it but if I ever do it again, I'll consider that usable extra depth.  This was mostly an experiment that actually works surprisingly well. 

4 hours ago, Arthur210 said:

Why is it that most people seem to pick up the French bad words faster than the rest of the language? :P

Of course, that doesn't seem to be unique to French, so it may simply be human nature at work.

Haven't spent much time with folk who speak a different language? The first thing you learn in any language are the swear words. I've been trying to learn "please and thank you" in as many as I run across in use. They've got to be the most helpful words I know.

There is a phrase I learned reading a book years ago that is probably the best I've ever heard to get yourself out of trouble. Navajo (probably, maybe?) "Doe aha she aha da." That's just my phonetic spelling of how I sounded out the phrase in the book. If you speak Navajo I'd be thrilled to learn the phrase and pronunciation! Anyway, it means. "I am stupid, please help me."

Frosty The Lucky.

27 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Haven't spent much time with folk who speak a different language?

I spend a lot of time with folks who speak a different language: English. ;)

My primary language is French. :D

(My previous comment was tongue-in-cheek. I just don't find swear words that useful in life, so I concentrate on learning more useful ones instead!)

So I started making the JABOD forge and haven't really decided on a shape for the pit. I was thinking maybe the tried and true circle pit or maybe a more teardrop shaped. And btw it is a side blast forge.

Kaleb

5 hours ago, Arthur210 said:

I spend a lot of time with folks who speak a different language: English. ;)

My primary language is French. :D

(My previous comment was tongue-in-cheek. I just don't find swear words that useful in life, so I concentrate on learning more useful ones instead!)

You speak French, everything you say sounds tongue in cheek to the rest of us. :rolleyes:

I didn't say learning to swear was necessarily useful, it just seems to be the first things you pick up. Learning them does help to gauge the moods of those around you without having to be good at reading body language, facial expressions, hand gestures, etc.

The older I get the fewer swear words I use. Whatever I do I get more efficient with practice. :wacko:

Frosty The Lucky.

Uh . . . The simple side blast forge or swearing John? :huh:

Yeah, I enjoy inventing words too IDF&C though if a situation requires me to swear I'm usually too distracted to invent good vulgarity. If I could sent thought pictures . . . . I'd probably would've been beaten to death 50 years ago, never would've gotten out of jr high school in fact.

Frosty The Lucky.

6 hours ago, JHCC said:

I'm with Frosty on this one. As the man said, Any idiot can make the simple complicated, but genius lies in making the complicated simple. 

I have found with teaching martial arts  that if things are to simple they are nearly impossible for people to learn..   I used to make that very simple thing more complex just for them to learn the theroy of it and then start pairing away the stuff added in in to make it complex.. 

Took me about 10 years to figure out "Simple is hard to learn"  Complex is easy and then started to notice people like complex..      

Looking back to when I was studying martial arts (a looong time ago), I realize that all of my teachers were doing something similar: having us learn complex forms to solidify the patterns of movement, and then breaking down each of those patterns to show their application. 

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

... if a situation requires me to swear I'm usually too distracted to invent good vulgarity.

Seems like a good moment to recount the single best insult I've ever heard (and don't worry, @Glenn-- it's clean):

Several years ago, the college where I work invited one of its famous alumnae -- a well-known  and justifiably celebrated director of film, television, theater, and opera -- back to campus to give the commencement address to the graduating seniors.  It could have been great, but it was hideously boring.

After about 45 minutes of listening to her drone on and on incoherently about herself and her personal artistic vision, one of my colleagues leaned over to me and whispered, "Now we know why she's a visual artist."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:38 PM, WNC Goater said:

I hesitate to call this a "build".  As you can see it's just some parts cobbled together.  Half an old air tank, a pipe tuyere in the bottom.  Then some sand and kitty litter with firebrick from Tractor supply laid on top.  Old vacuum cleaner hose fits into the end of the pipe and a WalMart air mattress inflator supplies air at the other end.  I hook that to an old sewing machine pedal.  Step on it and it blows.  Step off & it stops while you're pounding the steel.   I've used it with charcoal.  It can be used with wood scraps as well, just easier to tend the fire with charcoal.  It will get hot enough to melt the steel.    It's all atop an old drill press base and table.  The Maxwell House can has a 25# bag of bird shot in it just to stabilize in case I bump into it but it's pretty stable without.  Note I have bolts installed to block air holes.  Those can be removed if I want a long fire.

Maybe $20 excluding the air mattress inflator. Most of it was junk I had around.

B8E68C82-7107-4EBE-A471-F1E8798E6F4D_zps

Looks Like mine