I Forge Iron

Do I add an Exhaust?

Army Dude

Please do some reading in a venue with real info. Iforge is a good location among many. Your question as asked is meaningless, can't be answered. Right now you don't know enough about the craft, equipment, tools, etc. to ask good questions and wouldn't understand the answers if we could.

Frosty The Lucky.

Do I make a forge for melting metal completely enclosed or have chimney on top of it? Does it vary an what fuel I use like a gas powered forge or a coal powered forge? 

I want to keep more heat in the forge so I was wondering if it was smart to block all of the holes on the forge.

14 hours ago, Frosty said:

Please do some reading in a venue with real info. Iforge is a good location among many. Your question as asked is meaningless, can't be answered. Right now you don't know enough about the craft, equipment, tools, etc. to ask good questions and wouldn't understand the answers if we could.

Frosty The Lucky.

Judge quickly don't you?

We're scratching our heads hear because there is a basic problem in what you are saying: Do you need an exhaust port on a furnace?

The answer is that if you are heating your furnace by pushing hot gases or air to burn material in the furnace YOU HAVE TO!  A basic analogy is can you hook a water hose up to tank and put in several times the volume of the tank with no outlet?

Yes when you ask us: can I put 12 gallons of water in a one gallon container without letting any of it out?  We do wonder about your experience level.

50 minutes ago, Smooth Smith said:

Thank you for answering my question.

Can you answer another?

How do I delete my I forge Iron account?

If you just leave it is so much easier than listening to those of us that are doing this,  you still have not managed to do Aluminum correctly according to your other post.  Not ready for copper. People have tried to help you but its like pulling teeth getting answers from you.

PS a forge is not normally used to melt metals, not intentionally. Please feel free to return after you learn to pay attention, and you obviously still have not read the pinned post in the foundry section.

You ask the moderators to close your account  Anything you have already posted will remain; however you will not be able to post anymore.  We are VERY concerned with safety and in general consider working with molten metal much more dangerous than working with red hot steel and thus tend to hold back quite a lot when basic questions seem to indicate a lack of a grasp of basic knowledge in the way the world works---(Have you seen even in films where people stop a car engine by plugging the exhaust pipe?---Same thing you are asking!)  Anyway we wish you well and more than one of us have made basic grade school blunders here. 

May I commend to your attention:  alloyavenue.com  a series of forums for metal casting that might suite your interests more closely, (it used to be backyardmetalcasting.com)

"I have some experience"     "Sorry I have newbie questions"

All gas fueled or solid fueled furnaces require an exhaust, including home heating ones, metal smelting and metal melting ones; even my gas kitchen stove has an exhaust port for the oven.  The furnaces that don't require an exhaust port can be electric ones---both resistance and induction ones (and microwave ones), or Solar ones.   As furnaces like forges are basic heat balances: Heat in vs Heat out. You are correct in that limiting ways heat can escape helps the efficiency of the furnace; however if you can't push heat in---air for burning or hot gasses from a burner---you get 0 for the heat in.

When teaching my first day smithing classes I explain to the students that we are pushing metal into the exhaust port of my propane forge and therefore there has to be a minimum opening to allow the exhaust to exit. Close it off and the burner losses efficiency or stops---I use the naturally aspirated forge for teaching---if the back pressure gets too high it works poorly or not at all.

Now there are ways to build furnaces to try to keep the exhaust products away from what you are trying to heat; muffle furnaces or semi-away like the reverberatory furnaces once used for puddling iron.

I got into casting by taking a hands on brass casting class offered by a local University as a zero credit out of hours course.  I cast fittings for blades and various other small things (under a pound). However I generally use my coal forge for melting metals.

2 hours ago, Smooth Smith said:

Do I make a forge for melting metal completely enclosed or have chimney on top of it? Does it vary an what fuel I use like a gas powered forge or a coal powered forge? 

I want to keep more heat in the forge so I was wondering if it was smart to block all of the holes on the forge. 

I was just wondering because stuff would melt faster if I plugged up the exhaust holes.

Think of adding air to the forge (gas or solid fuel) as blowing up a balloon. At some point the balloon gets full of air and either refuses to take any more air in, or becomes over pressurized and explodes. You MUST let as much air escape, as you put into the forge. You want to insulate the forge (gas or solid fuel) to retain the heat. This makes the forge more efficient and used less fuel. 

Working with HOT LIGUID METAL is dangerous and unforgiving of ANY mistakes. You must first learn the proper procedures, learn the safety procedures, formulate a Plan B in case anything goes wrong (which it will at some point), and purchase and wear personal protection equipment at all times. These are mandatory, no options, no short cuts. We stress safety because you can easily get yourself injured or killed. We stress knowledge so you KNOW what to do and how to do it before you start. Be honest with yourself, if you have questions, then you have not studied enough. Research and find the answer to your questions before you start.

1 hour ago, Smooth Smith said:

How do I delete my I forge Iron account?

This site is primarily about blacksmithing but the membership is extremely diverse and knowledgable in many areas.  We have the knowledge, experience, skill and expertise you need to avoid problems. We have been there and done that and have the scars to prove it. We want you to succeed, but want to do it safely. My suggestion would be to slow down, read everything you can on the subject, and then ask well thought out questions limited to one specific problem at a time. That way we can address the one specific problem and provide a specific suggestion. Leaving the account open will continue to provide you access to this information.

Casting sites should be on your list to research for information as that is their primary subject. Read the site first, then ask specific, well thought out questions, addressing one subject at a time. Tell them what you have read, and ask them to explain or suggest where you can find additional information on that subject. This should get you beyond the newbie label as you have already done some research and are asking in a polite way for their help.

2 hours ago, Smooth Smith said:

Man your honest you just made all of your buddies look bad. 

Sorry I have newbie questions 

Thanks for to recommendation. I hope their community isn't too hard on new guys like me.

3 hours ago, Smooth Smith said:

Judge quickly don't you?

Boy you are just full of attitude aren't you? Good luck with any forum on which you behave this way. I saw your other posts and you are a walking advertisement for the Darwin award. Count me out.

Smooth Smith, I'm not sure if you are still reading this or not.  We can be an irascible bunch, but with reason.  

We in general don't mind newbie questions (which most of mine are), but you are I think trying to ask about a furnace (used to intentionally melt metals and produce a casting or ingot) rather than a forge (used primarily to heat metals to a workable temperature).  I am unclear if you are unfamiliar with the difference between the two or if you are asking about using the firepot of the forge to house a crucible that you will then use to melt metal.

Secondly, your image shows an infantryman with a rifle that same infantryman would have gone through training on placement of things like M18's (aka claymores).  M18's are labeled for safety (front toward enemy) which forges nor furnaces are labeled. Which is why your post triggered the (forgive me Glenn) pucker factor.

That said ThomasPowers recommended earlier alloyavenue is a good site and I agree for a decent primer but ask around there is almost certainly someone near you who casts metal a few times a year.  I strongly recommend visiting one of them since no working foundry will let you in the building during operations because casting metal has so many inherent dangers.  Seeing a furnace and the whole process involved will be of great help in understanding how to mitigate the safety issues involved.  Liquid iron will burn through jeans with almost no hesitation and leave a second degree burn down your leg, into the top of your boot when it can cost you a limb (worked in a foundry)

You mention casting copper then you've reached nearly iron temperatures in something (providing pictures would help too btw) so you are at near alloy temps.  Plugging exhaust ports MAY be an acceptable idea if your furnace was built incorrectly or may cause the system to become unsafe.  Rather like walking to an auto parts store picking up a random part and asking if it will fit your car we simply do not have enough information to answer your question.  

Either way both providing more information and reading more from available sources will make any advice we can offer much more valuable to you because we can answer much more specifically.

6 hours ago, Smooth Smith said:

Man your honest you just made all of your buddies look bad. 

he made no one look bad as they were all trying to Help you form a useful question. the only one that looks bad is.... Please learn something from all of this. Please research, take advice and learn. I feel insulted when those that know way more then I do are insulted. Humble yourself. Thomas pointed that out in way too nice a way.