I Forge Iron

straightened a spring

3 hours ago, Ranchmanben said:

I'm a big fan of coil springs for punches too! I was talking about uncoiling an entire spring, doesn't look like much fun. 

The small one I did was kind of fun. Once I got it moving it was quite smooth.

Mel

Many years ago, I  straightened a roll of garage coil springs and went through the whole process of making chasing tools with them.  After hardening, tempering and attempting to do some chasing with them, they bent.  Case in point, before undertaking making chasing tools from scrap yard steel, make sure that they are hardenable steel.  After all, not all springs are alloyed the same nor have the same purpose.  For instance overhead springs are designed to stretch and torsion springs are preloaded with torque to raise and lower a door.

Over the weekend, I straightened a 3/4" coil spring with a friend and got 11 1/2'.  Using a coke forge to take heats, using the vise initially to get a flat, then reheating and inserting the stock in the hardy hole and straightening with tongs.  These will be used for punches.  

To prep the springs for straightening, I coated the springs with paint remover as the sand blaster was ineffective.  It worked OK on one of the several springs I coated.  I am thinking a better way of removing the paint so I don't have to breathe those nasty fumes is with a trash fire.  

I can see two reason for the toil of uncoiling,

1) if you have more time than money

2) you just like doing stuff the hard way--aka a blacksmith.  

IMG_1091.JPG

6C66ADA1-8E4A-4720-80ED-FE49AB551ED5.JPG

F4B32339-6EEF-4E5B-A657-F4CA388CA0DE.JPG

90B20DBF-A71D-4DA6-A75A-F1C12495294F.JPG

That's a cool video JHCC posted & fun to watch.  But looks like they have too many chiefs, not enough indians.   Need ONE guy in charge guiding the operation otherwise, you get that, which appears to be an accident waiting to happen. Surprised no one got burned.

10 hours ago, ede said:

To prep the springs for straightening, I coated the springs with paint remover as the sand blaster was ineffective.  It worked OK on one of the several springs I coated.  I am thinking a better way of removing the paint so I don't have to breathe those nasty fumes is with a trash fire.  

Trash fires create their own nasty fumes, alas.

The last time I stripped a spring, I cut it into the lengths I needed first. That way, the coils could rest flat in the container of stripper, rather than my having to do the stripping in installments.

(There's a joke to be made about the appeal of slow stripping, but I'm not going to make it.)

On the "How to make a skinner knife" Video I used a coil spring and included how i straighten them.... I prefer to straighten all the springs as they just take up to much room in the coil..   

straightening springs doesn't really take that long once you figure out how to get what you want hot..  It is easier if you have a forge with a good smoke catcher as then you don't have to smell the paint but I always stand the spring up in the forge one side and then the other till orange and then straighten using the hardie hole primarily and then when needed I use a scroll fork in the hardie hole..   Any of the carbon steels used in springs will show you as they reach transition temperature on the cooling off while bending.. You will notice it starts to glow a little different than surrounding parts.. This is the time to take another heat.. 

1 hour ago, Will W. said:

How about some dragonscale weave next? Full Persian, perhaps?

Who knows? This was only my second piece of maille; here is my first:

IMG_2736.JPG

(Note the additional use of garage door spring!)

1 hour ago, John in Oly, WA said:

I don't know how comfortable it would be, but it would be fun to see a blacksmith's hammock made out of the giant chainmail.

Yeah!!! I hope you don't mind if I... Ugh... "Borrow" that idea haha.

25 minutes ago, John in Oly, WA said:

By all means, borrow away! Just post the pics. Would be nice to see.

Will do. When I get around to it...

8 minutes ago, the iron dwarf said:

maybe someone should do a farriers hammock out of horse shoes closed up and made into riveted maille

Seriously! The creativity here is amazing! Awesome idea!