I Forge Iron

100 Year Old Bakelite Grips

JPH

Hello:

Here are a few things I whipped out with some 100 year old (Pre WWI) Bakelite for the grips. I never used his material before so this was all new to me.. The white Bakelite I cannot tell from ivory from an arm's length away..that is probably why they used this stuff for billiard balls..The "horn" Bakelite was very interesting to finish and turned out quite lovely...All is all I like this material...too bad there isn't muck of it available anymore...

All 4 pieces are PW blades and the sheaths set with star rubies or sapphires...

Hope the pics turn out

JPH

(These ARE available on my website starting tonight if anyone is interested..)

DSC03603A.jpg

DSC03608A.jpg

DSC03636A.jpg

DSC03642A.jpg

DSC03614A.jpg

DSC03619A.jpg

DSC03623A.jpg

DSC03628A.jpg

DSC03644A.jpg

Interesting.  You spurred me to research bakelite sources and by name, it's still made.  The actual trademark was purchased by a maker of phenolic resins, Hexion.  They still list it as a trademark.  Professional plastics sells the stuff under "bakelite"  http://www.professionalplastics.com/BAKELITE (some bakelite history at that link too)

But...it doesn't seem to be the same as the old school product.  The fillers are different and color choices are limited.  McMaster sells the same thing under the name "Garolite" with a variety of fillers.  The reason I point that out is there are several guitar makers using it in black as "bakelite" pick guards on restorations and they imply it is/looks the same as the old school stuff when finished.

Doesn't even look close to me but the only phenolics I have had my hands on are cloth-filled brown of days gone by.  Fully black (or white?) might be a different animal when finished.

Kozzy:

From what I can tell the pre 1940's Bakelite is quite different from what is marketed under the same name nowadays. The "Old Stuff" came in quite alot of colour variations and it was very popular as a jewelry item as well ..made into bracelets, earrings and SLTT.. I was able to obtain a few more pieces (in fact I bought all that the fellow had left) I even got some of the "red amber" stuff..looks odd but you never know till ya get into it what it will turn out like...

All I know is I had to work it real slow and careful and it did take a beautiful polish..A better polish than I have ever seen on any of the other resin based material like micarta....probably due to the earlier process/materials used back then... I think they came out pretty good...

JPH

One thing that Bakelite collectors look for is "end of day" pieces, when they would take all the leftovers, throw it in a pot, give it a stir, and make something from that. You get some amazing rainbow swirls!

Good article about Bakelite and how to tell real from fake can be found here.

I'd say something suitably complimentary about your blades Jim but you ran me out of superlatives a long time ago. I'm not big on owning blades other than the one in my pocket and the one I used when I hunted but I sure wish I could afford one of yours. These came out as expected, the bakalite looks perfect, very ivory like.

Old radio and other "plastic" cases were bakalite.

Frosty The Lucky.

This thread prompted me to do some more research. It seems that what JPH used here is actually "Catalin". Bakelite was only available in dark colors, on account of the fillers used, whereas Catalin (which used the same resin, but without fillers) was made in all kinds of colors. Catalin was made between 1927 (when the original Bakelite patent ran out) and WWII. 

Hello:

Whether it is Bakelite or Catalin..it "tested" as Bakelite when I got it....All I know is it sure is pretty...That's all I can tell ya...I went and bought he rest of what the guy had so I have a small supply and I AM going to use it..believe me!!

JPH

1 hour ago, JPH said:

Hello:

Whether it is Bakelite or Catalin..it "tested" as Bakelite when I got it....All I know is it sure is pretty...That's all I can tell ya...I went and bought he rest of what the guy had so I have a small supply and I AM going to use it..believe me!!

JPH

Well, it's the same resin (chemically speaking), so it's going to test the same. And you're right: it is very pretty indeed. Wise move, getting the rest of it!