Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daswulf

Armadillo

12 posts in this topic

Here is the start of an Armadillo. last night I forged the claws and started the ears out of pipe. tonight I started assembling the head. still a long way to go and I really underestimated how much bicycle chain I had. I will have to hunt down more. The legs will be valve springs. the rest of the head is a steering u joint and some large valve keepers and some sort of cutter blade. More to be added there as well. I have some tin to shape so that I can weld the chain from the backside for the body. I will cross my fingers that it turns out well.it helps that I picked up a chain buster in my travels. tho it dosnt work on the gear chain I plan on using for the joints in it's mid section.

010.JPG

011.JPG

013.JPG

Great job with the head, Das. That uni joint is a good base. Nice how you have the diagonal on the end of the snout. Attention to detail like that makes these things! Now we eagerly await the chain body!

That looks really cool can't wait to see the rest of it.

That chain break should work with all of the chain pictured. What are you calling gear chain....gears don't use chain.

More like timing chain.  It has smaller pins and the chain break can't clamp on it or pop the small pins. 

Ahhh, OK. The chain that is solid width wise with just plates, no rollers. Grind the outside plate off, and punch the pins is how we dealt with that situation.

I saw the head in the picture of then roses you did, and figured you had something in the works.

I have been grabbing the old chains from work. I have a couple long lengths of #160-2 (double wide) that came off of the 200# dough mixer. They tossed the #80-3 (triple wide) that I had set aside to bring home. I recently got some SS woven conveyor belting (it looks like miniature chain link fencing) that may end up getting used on the Weber BBQ for items that are flaky, or just small. 

That will be the clean way to do it or just cut through with a cutoff. 

I have a bunch of critters in the works. Some are waiting for that right part to come along and some for motivation/inspiration. There's a cat like critter that has been lounging on the back of my welding table or on the shop floor for some time now lol. 

I have feelers out for more bicycle chain and it's looking promising. 

That stainless conveyor mesh is great for grills. I know someone who used a big piece for a half 55 barrel grill. They gave me a piece of it as well.  

Those other bigger chains sound fun. 

Some older garage door openers used chain in the lift mechanism that is close to if not the same as some bicycle chain.  If you can find someone scrapping one of those you can get about 14 feet of chain that way...  -- Dave

I have a raven head, and basic body that I wanted to do, then lost for a loooooooooong time, then found when I was moving to NV in 05, and I am still on the look out for parts...........hahahahaha! The head is a bucket tooth, and the start of the body is a clutch fork out of a Chevy LUV that fit into the head perfectly. It is one of those when it happens it happens projects. I have a ton on my plate right now that is keeping me from all of my fun things I used to do.

I once had 160 pounds of steak to cook for a wedding feast; so I went to the local scrapyard that got all the chicken processing stuff and got a roll of stainless belting that I could use over the concrete block BBQ trough---about 20' long, burning hickory; I also got to do the pig roast as that guy overindulged the previous evening and was unable to be within sight or smell of food for most of the day.  By the end of the night all the leftover steaks were jerky and went home with me---not ONE went to waste!

Thanks Dave. I'll keep my eyes and ears open. 

Lol BigGun. That raven has been waiting a long time. 

Thats a serious bbq trough Thomas. 

Yup, Agri Park where the Ag school holds their wingdings. BBQ is nearly a college requirement for them.  I hadn't planned on being a cook that day; but when a friend's getting married you like to help things along!  (Last time was in CA where I ended up being an Usher wearing an aloha shirt and my Bib overalls...)