• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎4‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 4:38 AM, Ridgewayforge said:

Ausfire, 

Instead of making the gumnut the candle cup itself, what about three of them arranged with blank space in between, so that they are like a tripod candle base? Then you could curl a leaf underneath them as a drip pan. Maybe that would be nice? 

That would be nice. Another one for the to-do list!

And Joe, those tight bends look good and add to the stability. You must have started with about a metre of round bar.

I've been following this topic from the beginning, and you guys put the flea in my ear. I had to make this, and I think it was inspired by Donniev's work :) But thank you all for this cool thread.

It isn't finished yet only out of the forge state.

589a1befab180_201702bortarto1.thumb.jpg.d3cd462dc19ce6bd390ae431ef6562a7.jpg

11 minutes ago, Gergely said:

It isn't finished yet only out of the forge state.

But there is only a drop left!  

You are supposed to test it with a full bottle to see if it holds the weight, so buy two bottles next time. :D 

I need to make some of these. 

I did one recently using some horse shoes but I like these. 

image.jpg

4 minutes ago, ausfire said:

How many ways to hold a wine bottle!!

That could be infinite on design. 

A friends father took the nylon sleeved rope and would feed strong wire through the center then form them into standing wine bottle holders similar style to the ones above. 

Thanks, Guys!

Yeah it's stable - but just for sure's sake I go and buy an other bottle :)

I have a different concept in my mind, hope I can show you by the evening. 

And it came as a surprise to me that the neck of wine bottles around here are 30mm/1 1/4" dia. That's exactly the same as my beer bottle opener holes. Mysterious, isn't it? :ph34r:

14 hours ago, Donniev said:

Yeah I actually have a stick of 1 1/4" 1045 I'm planning on making a hammer drift with, so I used it to wrap the wine holder around and double checked it, perfect fit!

You just reminded me: I've got a steel pin in my scrap bin (blacksmith's roadkill from last summer) that's 1-1/4" in diameter and has a notch in one end. Might work as a jig for bottle necks.

IMG_2253.thumb.JPG.a5c53875d48d706408515b0525453a2a.JPG

You guys are really starting to get into the spirit! I don't see one I don't like yet. Donnie, no real need to make the sq. stock round it twists nicely. A rope/cable twist looks very nice in a serpentine pattern like some of these holders but there are hundreds of potential twists. 

Horse shoes are a staple in most places in the US. Even folk who can't own one tend to like them and the shoes always look good.

Like I said, lots of cool holders guys, keep at it. My only real suggestion is to call out the Ladysmiths. Let's see what a Ladysmith's taste and sense of style looks like holding a wine bottle or five.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you, Gentlemen!

7 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Gergely, that is really nice! 

Tho. Now I have anvil envy.... :rolleyes:

I feel for you, Das, anvil envy is a real bittersweet joy of life. Having this 440+ lbs/200+ kg anvil has its advantages. But besides it's being a fantastic workhorse, one of my favorite things about it is the psychological effect it causes. When people (usually older men) watch me at fairs/demos forging on my 114 lbs/52kg travel anvil and they say: "I have a much larger anvil at home". Or: "you can do much better job on a larger anvil". Instead of defending my small anvil's qualities I just nod along and say: Yes, you're right, that's why I use a 200kg anvil in my shop. Conversation usually stops there as most of them wants only to argue... 

1 hour ago, Marc1 said:

That is not an imaginary anvil. at one meter long it's ... well ... very actual and concrete :) 

True, but it's not the anvil that's imaginary :) 

6 hours ago, ausfire said:

That is a very elegant piece, Gergely. Good idea to rivet. Another one for my inspirations file.

I'm really happy to hear that, Aus! I've got so many ideas from you, at least I can reciprocate a bit.

One technical thing: I made the rivet from square stock. The holes are square, too. Does anyone know about any negative side effects when using square rivets?

Bests:

Gergely

7 minutes ago, Gergely said:

One technical thing: I made the rivet from square stock. The holes are square, too. Does anyone know about any negative side effects when using square rivets?

Bests:

Gergely

I don't see any reason a square rivet wouldn't work perfectly as long as it is set properly. I used a square Mortise and tenon  in the horse shoe wine glass holder. (Wanted to test a square punch I made) Hmm... Less likely to twist... :) might just be better. 

Ok, ok. No jealousy. There is nothing so far that I haven't been able to do on my 127lb. Trenton that I have needed to. It's just want, need, Better. :) eventually I'll get what I want lol. Right now I have what I need. That's a beaute tho.