I Forge Iron

Wine bottle holders

B_HOSS

1 hour ago, Gergely said:

....Having this 440+ lbs/200+ kg anvil has its advantages. But besides it's being a fantastic workhorse, one of my favorite things about it is the psychological effect it causes. When people (usually older men) watch me at fairs/demos forging on my 114 lbs/52kg travel anvil and they say: "I have a much larger anvil at home". Or: "you can do much better job on a larger anvil". Instead of defending my small anvil's qualities I just nod along and say: Yes, you're right, that's why I use a 200kg anvil in my shop. Conversation usually stops there as most of them wants only to argue... 

I admire those who bother going for demos. The comments you have to hear are enough to put you off them completely. Never been told you are "choking the hammer"? , or that you are slow, or the iron is cold, or the hammer too small ... or too big ...or too old ... forget it! ... you can have it :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Ok, ok. No jealousy. There is nothing so far that I haven't been able to do on my 127lb. Trenton that I have needed to. It's just want, need, Better. :) eventually I'll get what I want lol. Right now I have what I need. That's a beaute tho. 

Yeah "someday" we'll both "have the money" to just drop 2k on a brand new one right? ;-)

Back on topic I tried a bigger heart tonight despite it being 10° out, man I fought this things balance for a good half hour before it was right, but I finally got it

IMG_20170208_232420097.jpg

Donniev, I hear you. Getting the balance right drove me crazy the first one I made. You have three factors to consider: It must balance unloaded without tipping forward; it must balance with an empty bottle (or near empty); and it must carry the weight of a full one without tipping back. and a couple of degrees out makes a big difference.

I unwound the first one a few times. It gets easier once you have a good working one to copy.

I like your heart design. Carry on, sir.

56 minutes ago, ausfire said:

Donniev, I hear you. Getting the balance right drove me crazy the first one I made. You have three factors to consider: It must balance unloaded without tipping forward; it must balance with an empty bottle (or near empty); and it must carry the weight of a full one without tipping back. and a couple of degrees out makes a big difference.

I unwound the first one a few times. It gets easier once you have a good working one to copy.

I like your heart design. Carry on, sir.

Yeah the first one took me significantly longer than the rest of them did. Getting the angles right and the general shape is a lot easier when you have a working copy.

Yeah I hope it gets easier as we make more. I did notice getting the pigtail right took maybe 10 minutes, half the time it took me on my first try. Of course getting the balance just right will take more time since when the design changes so does the balance. The face of my anvil is too small to set it on to check it, so I'd have to go from floor to anvil continually to check it out, took WAY longer than my first one, I'm guessing because this has more twists and I added 6" of stock to make a bigger heart

I made one of these for a friend at work, based on a pic she saw in a hoity-toity shop.  Of course, I then had to make four more for others to give as Christmas gifts.  I'm certain I under priced them, given the amount of time I put into them.  After the second one I swore I wouldn't make any more...

wine rack 018.JPG

wine rack 020.JPG