I Forge Iron

Anvil stand build

Hope this is posted in the correct place! Since I'm waiting on parts for the rest of the projects I have started, I decided to throw a anvil stand together for Mr duddly!  

20170111_160057.jpg

Had a old piece of 1 1/4 plate I found buried wile bull dozing, it's been hanging around my shop for Years. Pretty glad I kept the rusty slab.  

There was a fair amount of cussing getting it cut.  Ran out of acetylene with 4" left.  Being me I couldn't just wait.  Way to big to fit in my band saw or is it???? Lol 

20170112_121833.jpg

I filled the legs with a few handfuls of Sawdust, used Oil and worn out saw teeth to deaden some sound and add weight.  (I'm so going to forge weld some teeth when I get time!!)   

Preheated the plate just for good measure. 

20170112_154811.jpg

20170112_155921.jpg

20170112_154815.jpg

Left the forge side plate full size for upsetting longer pieces. I think the big guy likes his new stand.....

It's not finished yet.  Tomorrow I'll get some tool holders and anvil clamps glued on.  

20170112_160553.jpg

20170112_160559.jpg

Wondering what the final height of the anvil face will be.  Photo distortion makes it look like the legs are currently about 3 feet long :) 

You might consider stretchers between the lower part of the legs just to take some of the stress off the upper welds in case they start to fatigue crack or move a few years down the road.  Easy insurance now, harder later.

32"to the face just above my knuckles.  I was just looking at those pics again.  The 3" square tubing looks like tooth picks as well lol.  

Thanks kozzy, I will add some bracing maybe incorporate a small shelf or something.  Seems I can never have to many flat surfaces to collect my junk! 

It won't hurt to put spreaders between the legs. It will not only BE stronger and more rigid it'll look stronger. Is knuckle height a comfortable working height for you? I find wrist height to be much easier on my back and eyes.

Frosty The Lucky.

Tell you the truth frosty I don't know, the only anvil I use much atm is quite tall.  Face is around waist high.  I find that great for small delicate projects. A bear for really beating the xxxx out of something though. 

This one is going to get the heavy hammer work.  One because it's a pretty heavy anvil and second is its already beat up pretty good.  So I left it a touch low.   It is about midway on my closed hand.  I posted that wrong in the previous post.   

Lord willing I'll fire up the forge tomorrow and try it out :)

Keep the ideas coming guys !!! 

5 hours ago, Millhand said:

A bear for really beating the xxxx out of something though. 

First off, thank you for posting. It looks really nice! Secondly, be careful what you post. Your language is getting a little edgy, and I'm not the only one here that is picky. Please don't be offended. I know that what you say might not seem at all to you like something to make a big deal about. Nevertheless, I think we should all work together to keep this forum as spotless as we can.

15 hours ago, Millhand said:

This one is going to get the heavy hammer work.  One because it's a pretty heavy anvil and second is its already beat up pretty good.  So I left it a touch low.   It is about midway on my closed hand.  I posted that wrong in the previous post.   

If it's too tall, trim the legs. If it's too short, add more feet.

I understand the idea of the three legged stand, but if you are using it on a level floor would not a four legged stand be more stable? If one was to shove that anvil sideways it may topple over. Good job  though, just my two cents worth.

No need to relurk Millhand we just try to keep the site one we wouldn't mind letting an 8 yr. old read.

A quad stand wouldn't be MORE stable, just as maybe but you'd have to keep the floor really clean. A tripod will always stand on all three legs so it can't rock on 2 of them. A quad will balance on the two longest and only one of four needs be longer, say a paper match under one foot and it will rock between that one and the one opposite.

You can get away with a quad on a REALLY clean smooth floor, level is optional. A good way to accommodate slight imperfections is with soft foot pads say inner tube rubber glued to the pads.

Frosty The Lucky.

A Tripod is more stable because it only takes 3 points to define a plane. If a forth point is added it is actually less stable.  

I spent the night cutting it back apart as it was to tall.  After some super great advice I tested it with some soft Wood. Heel of the hammer on half inch stock. I originally  went for a face hight between my wrist and knuckles. To high for me.

Simple Stand turned into a ton of work! But it will be rite when I'm done. I hope anyways:)  

3 hours ago, Millhand said:

I originally  went for a face hight between my wrist and knuckles. To high for me.

Anvil height all depends on the build of the blacksmith using the anvil, and the project. One reason to have more than one anvil in the shop. Now if we can only convince the wife that we really need a second anvil. LOL

I put the word out I wanted a anvil, but i got impatient quickly and bought the one I'm building the stand for.

Got a call the day after and got a smoking deal on a 400 lb columbion.

Literally the next day I come home from work and a 176lb mint arm and Hammer is setting on my steps.  Free!  No anvil to to many in a few days lol.  Seek and ye shall find it guess lol.    

Couldn't give up.  Here is the first piece I've forged. Not much to look at lol.

7 Forge worked great though.   

20170114_013214.jpg

I put wood under my stand legs so they don't grind up the concrete floor. It also can be raised or lowered with different sizes of blocks. I have four legs and just tap a wood shim under one if needed to stabilize it. I do the same with stumps. Usually need two shims for them. Your stand looks great. Nicely done. 

Thanks everyone!  Its primed and painted! Tomorrow, time permitting I'll post a finished in the shop pic.   

Found a 20x20x36 square red oak block they cut off in the mill because of iron in it.  That's going to be the stand for my columbion.  Hopefully it will go alot faster lol  nice block, clear on all 4 faces.