I Forge Iron

What the heck is this?

My grandfather bought this secondhand about 35 years ago, my Nana is now selling most of her things to move into a smaller house, this has been living in the garden as a patio ornament all that time.

There doesn't seem to be any maker's mark, though it's exposure to the elements has left the surface pretty rough (it's obviously iron)

I'm not sure how heavy it is but I regularly carry a 17kg dog and this thing I barely managed to get a cm off the ground for one second.

All my Nana is interested in is what we should advertise it as (anvil or ASO) and how much we can get for it but I'd just like to know a bit more about it if anyone can help, a friend of mind believes it is probably cast but as I said, the weather has removed any seam lines that may have been present.

Also I hit it with a hammer and it dings, on the middle, the horn and the back

15595549_10209653894037838_418120408_o.jpg

15609087_10209653855836883_1636402604_o.jpg

15631507_10209653871517275_318455078_o.jpg

15631524_10209653885957636_1092834641_o.jpg

15658696_10209653857516925_1852629891_o (1).jpg

It is an out of work anvil. All it needs is a good home where it can be put back to work and earn the owner some money.

Welcome to the forum. Put your location in your profile and there may be someone near by that would offer it a good home. A little ATF (automatic transmission fluid) will make it look completely different, and stop some of the rusting. Just a wipe from a cloth rag will do.

It has the handling holes in the base for the tongs used in forging, so I'd say Yes, it is probably a forged anvil. It's a bit unusual in its design, but that's not a big deal. If you're not planning on using it yourself (as you should!), I'm sure you could find a buyer. I'm not in the UK, so I can't speak to market prices for anvils over there.

Also just measured it, it's 25" long (9" of which is the horn), 5" across and 11" tall.

Definitely no serial number, if there ever was one, paint and rain eroded it away. I can't see the underside as once I tip it over it's not coming back up again (I'm strong but that things weighs a lot)

Hey Kutanra, 

I have had an old anvil and pole vise that I couldn't find any markings on at first.  After cleaning them both with a wirebrush on an angle grinder I was able to find markings on both of them.  Doing this will knock off the years of crust on the anvil.  Don't do this if you are planning to sell this as an antique as it may devalue the anvil.  I use all of my antiques for forging so I wasn't worried about it :).    

I would suggest that at that size it weighs approx 1and1/2 cwt or 75'ish kg, a "proper" anvil, it should clean up OK, with the shape and location of the pritchel hole it would appear to have been made for a specific forging practice, but it is suitable as a general purpose anvil.and without closer "hands on" inspection that is about all I would commit to, 

As for price, depends on what someone is willing to pay for it, and your Nana is happy to accept. If you want it to go to a person who will use it, see your local blacksmith Group, our members (find us in the Members groups section, Blacksmiths and Metalworkers of the South West, based at Westpoint near Exeter in Devon) are always keen to find an anvil for sale,  or try the internet auction sites.

Alternatively you could learn how to use it, and have endless hours of fun and satisfaction.

Be happy to give it the once over if you are near to my location.

I did state that it rings (I think I wrote ding) on all parts of the anvil.

Looking at ebay, a cast iron anvil is selling for £300-£400, would this be about right for a forged one or could we ask a nice rounded £500?

I've not got the time, space or money for blacksmithing so we'd rather just sell it on to someone who will put it back to work.

Post it for sale in the tailgating section of IForgeIron. 

Take measurements as to length, height, and face width.  Weigh it on a bathroom scale, or if needed, weigh it on a board across two scales, and add the numbers. Add photos like in your post. Put something in the photo so we can see a size relationship to the anvil. All this helps in attracting a buyer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Someone buying anvils in UK will pay aprox 1.5£ per pound.

Your anvil is 170 lb so a wholesale price of 255£ is a good guess. Retail you should be able to get 340 up to 400£ depending on interest in that particular shape.  I am reluctant to suggest cleaning up since buyers usually prefer to think they can add value by doing this themselves. 

This is of course +- 20%. others more local will probably be able to guesstimate better. I am too far away to drive there. :)