I Forge Iron

Stock configuration on the anvil

I generally forge perpendicular across the face, for two reasons:

1. If I'm drawing out stock, I very often use the edges as fullers, indenting the stock crosswise to make it thinner and longer. 

2. My anvil (a ca. 1830-1835 Mousehole) has a lengthwise sway to the face. While this can be useful for straightening long pieces, the crosswise section is much flatter (if anything, slightly crowned) and thus better for most forging. 

AT 90, 89,88,87,86,85,84,83,82,81,80,79,..........10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,0  Degrees depending on the project, the anvil, the hammer, the workpiece, whether I'm trying to show a process to someone and where they are, How I feel and phase of the moon no doubt.

Now more importantly I try to position the piece so that the heavy hammering is done over the anvil's sweet spot and most of my anvils have the sides marked with soapstone to help students remember where it is.  (The sweet spot is that area of anvil face where there is iron/steel all the way to the base, no air! It's where the best transfer of energy occurs and for heavy hammering where you are least likely to damage the anvil if you miss.)

I was using my sledging anvil today making chili peppers, it was already out near the forge and it has a lovely rounded edge near the front that swages the stems *perfectly*!   Convenience more than made up for the fact it's missing it's heel and so has a hardy hole prosthesis clamped on.  So the workpiece was oriented to use the 1" or so section with the "perfect curve" and was about at a 45 degree angle above the face of the anvil _____\

Beech that sequence didn't have a Sigma in front of it; so not meant to be summed!  (So did you do it the easy way?  By adding 90+1 +  + 2+89 + 3+88....46+45  or 45x91)

Usually more or less across since many operations mean that the piece to hit is close to an edge or that the edge is used. I do not have much of  "sweet spot" since my two horn North Swedish has very little waist.

I use lengthwise when it is convenient to support a piece of stock without holding it - like when splitting using a chisel. Also when straightening stuff. 

Okay, a serious answer from Frosty. There are a couple factors determine the angle I hold stock: #1 my stance at the anvil which depends on the technique I'm using. #2, Shouldering, again as needed for the shoulder. #3 punching splitting, etc. under a hold fast is usually lengthways.

Frosty The Lucky.