I Forge Iron

Favorite item to forge? Axe/hawks for me.

Just curious what everyone likes to forge the most?  I am a big axe/hawk fan,  I have several in process.  Making a sign for the farm as well but  with all the bending for the letters that going to be a lengthy project.  I also like knives but have not forged one full,  i cut a few out from leaf springs and forged in the bevels but have not finished anything yet.

My favorite thing to forge is a knife where I forge in the bevels.  I don't know why, but enjoy trying to figure out how much reverse curve I need to put in to compensate for the curve from forging in the bevels.  A close second is bottle openers... again, no idea why.  We have a lot of small breweries in my area, so I do sell a few of them, but for some reason, I just find them very relaxing and fun to forge.

I enjoy making leafs, especially ones with fullered veins, I personally think that the leafs made with just chiseled veins are kinda boring, and the fullered ones have more character! And, it only takes one extra heat, but (IMHO) it adds a lot.A close second currently would probably be tongs. Cant have too many! Here is a thread that shows some of them-http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/47462-a-different-style-leaf-key-chain-atleast-for-me/#comment-494920

I have found they look better with just 3 "side veins" and I am making much better ones now than the first ones shown. Oh, I have come up with ANOTHER variation, and will try to remember and post pictures later!

Littleblacksmith

For fun tongs for me too, as well as woodworking tools.  The malformed boss on the bolt tong is because I'm working up a bending jig for my fly press to do all the bends in one shot and need to adjust the stops.  2nd pic is my son and I trimming a single bevel hewing axe.  For pay I'm loving stairs and railings right now, challenging and good money.  Pictured is a ship's ladder type loft access that I built a few months ago.  I did both the metal and wood work.

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1006.jpgIMG_0987.jpgIMG_0988.jpg

Lately, I've been on a bowl kick.

IMG_4654.jpg

I've been doing small bowls so far, with the largest being around 9.5" across, but have recently found a fellow that has larger disks for a decent price.  I'm not sure if I'm ready to try my hand at dishing something 18" in diameter, but I could use a good gong in the shop! :D

The best part is that they're practical and relatively easy to make.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 7:55 AM, Judson Yaggy said:

2nd pic is my son and I trimming a single bevel hewing axe

Hey, got a picture of it finished? How did you go about getting the blade so wide and the eye narrow? That is if you don't mind sharing the magicians secrets...

Littleblacksmith