I Forge Iron

Arm & Hammer Anvil

As for historical; take a look at the Sears and Roebuck page shown at http://phil-are-go.blogspot.mx/2013/04/sears-roebuck-and-co-acme-anvils.html

for an example of how they were priced.

As for cost per unit; ever buy a diamond?  They have a cost per unit but you can only buy the sizes they have available. So I would say that your contention that cost per unit means that you can purchase any increment to be unfounded.

If you have 2 anvils of the same general type/condition/brand/... I still feel that the cost per unit will indicate which of them is the better buy.  They may both be good buys or bad buys but to compare the two....  As many of us have a limited budget for our hobbies we have an interest in value---I may be sinking several hundred dollars in used bookcases at a local demolition company this week; I will be comparing them with the price of new ones, the price of other used ones in the local market and compare the total inches of shelf space if they seem to be the same in all other ways. You may not shop that way but my family does.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cost per unit allows comparison between sellers offering similar products.  It makes sense on items which are not "feature rich" like anvils and iron pipe. Sometimes it even extends beyond the "near commodity" products into those where features count:  For example, SOP for U. S. Steel on general welded fabrications was to price at $ 10/lb back in the early 60's.  Didn't really matter if it was a little more complicated because those jobs with more labor tended to even out over many jobs (and margins were high enough to cushion that kind of thing).  Faster and easier to have a rule of thumb than pay someone to job-cost everything which came through the office.

Well ... I acknowledge that comparing two identical anvils, identical ... you can compare using their weight. Sure. But the anvil market is overwhelmingly second hand and overwhelmingly antique, made by hand not two are the same, not two are the same condition, not two are even manufactured in the same way by the same manufacturer.

And diamonds don't have a set price in carat, rather the price depends on the job good or bad done by the cutter. 

Just googled it ... the price per carat varies from 11,000 to 74,000 dollars, so it is meaningless to compare two diamonds using their weight.

14 hours ago, Marc1 said:

Oh well ... I tried. Negotiation skills include not being afraid, but it's your money. 

Being a rare anvil and a rare size, if you can pay $1500 or 1600, you will not regret it. If you can pay $1400 even better :)

well my first offer to her was $1500.00 but was rejected right off the bat.. she was told by someone she respects that it was worth $2000.00 to $2500.00 and to not take any less then $1800.00.. after talking with her we compromised on the price and its now mine..  JT

10 hours ago, Benjaman said:

I messaged that person. Found it on craigslist. She never replied! And I messaged her the day she posted it. 

Probably saw my area code and figured I wouldn't drive a couple states to get it and didn't reply. People do that all the time. For 1600 bucks bring take that bad boy home!

Hi Benjaman, she probably didn't respond because I had a deal in place with her already.. JT

I want to thank each of you

ThomasPowers

njanvilman

Fatfudd

Marc1

Black Frog

Mlinn77

Benjaman

Kozzy

JHCC

for all your thoughts and help in suggesting a fair market value and the condition of this Anvil, and the insight into Arm & Hammer Anvils in general and the rarity of the large ones.. I found it to be very helpful in my decision to go ahead with the purchase of it, and once I get it I will add more photos of it, and more as I clean it.. JT   

Good for you JT. It is always harder to negotiate with someone that has no knowledge of the good he is selling and relies on third party "expert" advise.

Whatever you paid will soon be forgotten and the anvil, every single pound of it... is in your shed. Well done!

Now make it shine beating it up with some hot iron.

update !! I got my Arm & Hammer Anvil today !! :D  its much bigger in person then it looks in the photos !! I had it delivered to my work place. we were pretty busy today so I couldn't get a good look at it and had to leave it there over night.. I'll try to look it over good tomorrow and hopefully get some more photos and get it in my truck !! JT

2 hours ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Maybe you should make a hammer or something out of your 250lb Soderfors!

what !!  :o Never !! that anvil is too sweet !! this one will just be big brother and keep it company !! lol

2 hours ago, Lou L said:

It's real now!  Congrats and please be safe getting it out of your truck when you get home.  Plan twice, move once!

Ahhh yes Lou !!  fork truck at work .. shop crane at home !! :)

here are a few photos I took today at work after I wire wheeled it .... I still couldn't totally make out the weight so I placed it on our truck scales which has a 20 lb. variance .. the serial number is 13702.... I'm waiting on my Anvils in America book to arrive so if anyone could help with a year of manufacture it would be great !! :rolleyes: thanks, JT

IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0275.JPG

IMG_0276.JPG

IMG_0277.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG