I Forge Iron

Triumph then disappointment

SpencerDirks

Well folks today was an interesting day. I recently picked up an old coal forge for 250$ CAD and was pretty excited to fire it up. Today I finally got the chance to do so and about 30 minutes into the session we heard a loud bang and watched a crack form into the cast table. Is there anything I can do to rectify this situation? I'm assuming considering it's cast welding is not an option. Maybe it would be best to just pull off the blower and attempt to recoup as much of my cost as possible! Maybe this is an omen letting me know I should switch to propane. Let me know what you think.

Spencer Dirks

20161007_153722.jpg

20161007_153710.jpg

20161007_153733.jpg

What a neat find!  That must be disappointing to see that happen. However, it doesn't totally ruin the forge does it?  Isn't it still usable?  To rectify (or repair) that crack I suggest that you use some pieces of strap and sheet metal and patch it up as best as possible and get it working again.  That is what an blacksmith would have done years ago... figure out how to get it up and running again.

You can clean up the crack as best as possible and braze it with oxy/acetylene, but the stress of heating it up, after it is fixed, may just cause it to continue to crack in the same spot, whereas straps and sheet metal bolted or riveted to it will allow it to expand and contract as it heats up and cools down with each use.   If you do decide to braze it, put a good thick bead of braze on there and then peen the braze to relieve the stress you put into the braze.  

Good luck. 

Greetings Dirks,  

A couple of 1/4 X1 straps on the turned up portion drilled and bolted and than cut yourself a 1/4 plate for the floor pan .. Drill and bolt it down on both sides of the crack.  Than add some refractory and it will work just fine for years.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Thanks for all the advice guys! I haven't decided on how I'm going to repair it yet but I'll say I've definitely learned my lesson. Next time I'll ensure that I line it really well to avoid such a costly lesson. I think in the mean time I'll put some work into either building a temporary break drum forge utilizing the blower I have on this one or I'll finally finish my propane one that I started last winter. One way or another I've gotta get back to it if I want to reach my 1000 nail goal by the end of winter!

Spencer

I weld cast all day, every day. Gas shielded flux core wire mig welding. Find the right guy in your area it can be fixed in minutes. Being as it's cast and depending on how much of the casting material is in the steel itself you can expect more cracks later. If you clay it and be sure to bring your heat up slowly, especially if it's cold out, you can avoid most of that though. Very nice find by the way!

• 2 weeks later...

Its going to be interesting one way or another! ideally id like to make it one piece again but I think for the best short term results I'll probably drill those holes and strap it! Unfortunately my welding experience is minimal so if i do ever decide to do it I'll likely employ a professional. I'm going to be picking up a small forge table and firepot for a very reasonable price later in the week so that will keep me going in the mean time! I promise to clay it really well so I don't come back here with my trail between my legs and more upsetting pictures.