I Forge Iron

Thread snakes

ausfire

Been making a few snakes from threaded rod. The centre one is 10mm, the others are about 15mm. I prefer threaded rod to rebar, as it is much easier to draw out the tails and work the head shape. The flattened threads around the head and neck do look a lot like snake scales too.

I just wish I could find a supply of threaded rod that's not galvanised. You can't get black threaded rod here. You can get stainless but it's expensive stuff and it's a pain to draw out. Acid dipping long lengths of gal is impractical and burning it off never seems to get it all. An engineer mate suggested you could run some mild through a threading machine. Worth a thought.

Anyway, here's a pic or two:

DSC_6469.JPG

DSC_6471.JPG

DSC_6473.JPG

Aus, you can remove the galvanize simply with vinegar.  For your long lengths, just use a length of PVC pipe, say 1 1/2 or 2 inch, cap one end and fill with vinegar.  In a few hours or overnight, your threaded rod will be nice and clean of galv.  By using the PVC, you can select the length and size you need and save a lot on the cost of vinegar, which is pretty cheap anyway.

The galvanized is just celebrating your heritage---after all, Australia is home to the 10 most poisonous snakes in the world so why not extend that to the iron ones?

Seriously, they look good.  The PVC and vinegar solution should get the job done given enough time and isn't going to cost much or leave much nasty waste.  Be sure it can vent because even vinegar will be producing some hydrogen gas as it eats the galvanizing and tight-capping might cause pressure build-up.

12 hours ago, Kozzy said:

The galvanized is just celebrating your heritage---after all, Australia is home to the 10 most poisonous snakes in the world so why not extend that to the iron ones?

Well, yes, we do have our share of venomous (not 'poisonous' Kozzy, unless you're going to eat them! ;)) snakes here in Australia. Maybe I should forge some with protruding fangs or something. I am often asked if I could make the snakes with a forked tongue. Possible, but not without adding metal I would think. Snakes are good for school group demos; they like hearing the hiss in the quench tub as the finished snake comes alive!

And yes, I would certainly vent the acid or vinegar container to release the H. Thanks.

23 hours ago, SLAG said:

Vinegar, 

Buy pickling vinegar. It is a little more concentrated than the standard solution.

SLAG.

"Pickling vinegar" and regular household vinegar are both 5% acetic acid. What you want is "horticultural vinegar" at 20%-30%, depending on the brand.

JHCC,

Thanks for the information.

I was not aware of horticultural vinegar. Do some garden centers carry it?  What would a horticulturist use it for?

I personally use glacial acetic acid, and cut it to desired concentration. (great care is required).

SLAG.

Horticultural vinegar is a weed killer but not a very effective one: it kills top growth, but not taproots. Unfortunately, it also kills the beneficial bacteria and mycorhizzae that help with disease resistance and nutrient uptake, so it's really no good for anything besides galvy removing.

Another alternative is "double strength vinegar" (10%), which is sometimes carried in hardware stores as a cleaning product.

JHCC,

Horticultural vinegar sounds useful, and double strength vinegar , (new to me), also. But muriatic acid (40% H Cl), is probably cheaper.

There are better and more specific herbicides & fungicides on the market that will not pyrrolize the soil and trash the lawn for a half decade or so.

Isn't chemistry wonderful?

Regards to all at    I.F.I.

SLAG.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Joe, I'm glad your daughter likes the snake. When I do these at demos, it's usually the boys that want them. Some people like to get them to put on the veranda to keep birds off. They work for a day or two but birds are smart. No threat without movement.