I Forge Iron

Well cover

Joel OF

I'm working on a well cover at the minute & because of the construction method (riveted steels that sort of weave) & because it's made from 30 x 6mm flat bar rolled on edge (manually by me) I thought it might be of interest to some.

I'm a fair way through it but still got to do a few bits and bobs, including removing all the bolts to replace with rivets. I've been putting the odd video of the making on YouTube & taking production progress snaps. The idea of the hatch design is so that my clients can lower in their well pump & close the hatch back down without the hatch pinching on the pump hose. It was mutually designed, I started the ball rolling with a few ideas & we went from there.

The flat bar in the hatch was bent hot & the smallest diameter hoop of the 4 outside hoops was rolled nearly all the way, then finished off hot.

IMG_20160802_175939.jpg

IMG_20160804_184431.jpg

DSC_0195.JPG

IMG_20160809_175854.jpg

IMG_20160810_192602.jpg

DSC_0225.JPG

6 hours ago, Dave51B said:

Joel, are you going to make all 82(?) rivets ? Surely not......            Dave 

Haha, compared to rolling the flat bar on edge the riveting will be a walk in the park. I buy snap head rivets with 1 head pre formed so you just rivet the tail. Given that the vast majority of them won't ever be seen I won't bother rounding the heads to match the pre formed size, I'll just whack them down till they hold. I'll round up the ones in the underside of the hatch as they'll be seen when it folds back.

Nice, I like it. Aren't you going to use a rivet buck? You won't need to clean up the visible heads if you buck them rather than do it on the anvil. Use a buck and a set and it'd peened round and just about as fast, just one more tool to pick up but you make up for it with a heavier hammer and only a couple blows.

I look forward to seeing it installed.

Well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

I forgot to take pics of the simple flat bar tongs I forged for pinching the rivet shank just below the head but I took a couple pics of the hardy tool I made for resting the rivet head in. (I have 2 hardy holes in my big Peter Wright anvil & the one nearer the bick tapers from square into round).

I've got a young chap with me at the minute working as my "apprentice" before he goes off to blacksmithing college in September - today we did all the 64 outer rivets in 2 hours. I recorded some video which I'll upload to YouTube later.

DSC_0240.JPG

DSC_0242.JPG

IMG_20160812_185422.jpg

I really like it--though it seems odd to me to have an open-grid well cover which would be quite rare in my area.

Curious as to what your rolling jig looks like.  That's a tough bend until you get to some better equipment so I was wondering what ended up getting the job done for you.  A better roller is one of the toys on my long term list. 

Yes sir, that's a rivet buck alright and a nice one. The rivets look good, darned attractive. . . Blacksmith COLLEGE!? Dang, now I'm suffering school envy, curse you. :rolleyes:

Link your videos when you get them up please.

Frosty The Lucky.

Cheers.

Handles to lift the hatch:DSC_1706.JPG

The hole in the left hand handle is so they can padlock it down if they want. The tabs at the sides are the fixing points as it's going to be fixed within the well, not on top. I would have just continued some of the weaves out & up to fix through them, but too many line up badly to the brick courses so I deemed this to be a method that would give a better guarentee of safe fixing as for each "corner" I have a choice of 3 fixing points & will probably use 2 per "corner".

9 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

With nothing for scale the words "wardrobe malfunction" seeped into my morass of a mind.

On 8/11/2016 at 3:07 PM, Joel OF said:

DSC_0225.JPG

That would be one heck of a wardrobe malfunction.

Cheers. Well in this country everything rusts instantly unless it's got a decent weatherproofing, and of the outsourced finishing methods, zinc flame spray & vinyl top coat seems to be the best.

There's probably finishes I could do in the workshop that I'd prefer aesthetically, but they wouldn't last as long & it's cheaper for the client to have the better long lasting zinc + vinyl than my shorter lifespan less rust protecting attempts as whatever I do will take me longer.

The firm I use for finishing a.t.m do the blasting, zinc & top coat so it's ideal for me too!

Yeah, I was aware that coating it would be a necessity...I was just mourning the loss.  I also held on to the minor hope that someone here would jump in and give a quick course in some amazing method of finishing and protecting steel from the elements using alchemy or some other mysterious art!