I Forge Iron

what would you buy with $600

the tool that has helped me the most has been my portaband. I went with a reconditioned from CPO milwaukee and it is great. about $200-250 I believe. I have settled on 14 tooth bimetal blades for most all around tubing and 3/8 -3/4". Next to that is the MIG to weld up the jigs I cut out with the saw.

When I was unsure of my ultimate direction, I would bank the money and see what work I could find and then use that to capitalize on it.

I would like to buy a hydraulic pump for a new press, but I would most likely put in my wallet and sit on it for a month thinking about what I wanted in a pump then one day discover that life had snuck (< is that a word) and taken it for some superflurious thing like the mortgage.

Let's see, $600.00 for blacksmithing related tools, items, etc.

1. Cheap little horizontal/vertical bandsaw for the shop, to save my shoulder from the hacksaw demon. -$200.00 or so.

2. Maybe a Saltfork Swage Block. -$130 or so, depending on shipping cost.

3. Nice cast firepot for a shop forge. around $200 or so, again depending on shipping.

4. Various and sundry consumables to play with in the shop, flapwheels, buffing supplies, etc with most of the rest of it.

5. Finally, A Few bucks of it to Glenn for running this site. No annoying adv. banners, headers, etc. Heck, I might do that if the extra tax money doesn't come through.

Yeah, I think that would be good investment of the funds.

aaron

$600 worth of steel to make tools :P

$600 isnt really enough to buy most of the tools I can't easily make
a cold saw (Scotchman)
a metalworker (shearpunchnibbler)
Eagle Bender CP30
Fly Press

guess Id kick down for some files with it
on the other hand, I might be able to score a used slip roll for that much

Most of what I want would come in under that dollar amount.
1. MIG Welder
2. Steel for my Treadle Hammer
3. Hofi Hammer
4. Oxy-acetyline regulator
5. Chop saw
6. Band Saw
7. #0 fly press

Though if we were filing jointly, I might want to give my wife at least half.............

I get to claim my kids this year, so as long as my ex doesn't mess around and try to claim them also. I should get considerably more than $600 back.

I will probably get more than 600 back. But it's already spent on the property taxes. (Ain't it funny how THEY end up getting it either way?). BUT, if it wasn't going to that... I'd probably sit on it until I found a nice huge chunk of scrap. I'm thinking somewhere around 6 inches square and about 7 or 8 foot long. That'd make a nice anvil for an air hammer AND treadle hammer. Or I'd put it in the get-a-bigger-anvil fund. I don't really need a bigger anvil... but... bragging rights and all that.
-Aaron @ the SCF